Roon alternatives for 170,000+ track collection

I

itallushrt

Enthusiast
I've been using Roon for quiet sometime running on a dedicated Linux server streaming my tracks from a 48TB NAS (Dell 740xd). Everything has been working mostly well for years ... that is until recently. After this latest upgrade to 2.0 build 1357 (prod branch) I've suffered yet another database corruption. Restores of previous databases have not been very successful...and certainly not after the system is rebooted (upgraded kernel, etc) at which point I have to spend a lot of time trying to get things working again, etc. For context I have 4 zones and use RP4/3 as endpoints running RopieeXL and enjoy the ability to "group" zones together, etc. I also really enjoy the information that is readily available on the artist, album, etc.

Are there any suitable alternatives out there? I've ran MPD and tried various frontends, but it was always a nightmare. I'm fine with buying software or a subscription for something that functions.

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
Hi, wow that is one heck of a library. I am only at 35k track. You should look at audionirvana as am alternative. My concern is they may use a limited quality protocol like chromecast or airplay.

I switched to running Rock over Linux and I have not had a corruption since. Also where do store your backups?

Edited to not say lower qualify.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Hi, wow that is one heck of a library. I am only at 35k track. You should look at audionirvana as am alternative. My concern is they may use a lower quality protocol like chromecast or airplay.

I switched to running Rock over Linux and I have not had a corruption since. Also where do store your backups?
What's particularly low quality of chromecast or airpolay?

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
What's particularly low quality of chromecast or airpolay?
I am sorry. Chromecast in Roon does support 24bit/96khz but airplay 2 is just 16/44. I don't want to get into if you can hear the difference yada yada. If I have a file of whatever bitrate and format I would like it to be played natively. That is it.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I am sorry. Chromecast in Roon does support 24bit/96khz but airplay 2 is just 16/44. I don't want to get into if you can hear the difference yada yada. If I have a file of whatever bitrate and format I would like it to be played natively. That is it.
That's a bit different than low quality.

I

itallushrt

Enthusiast
Hi, wow that is one heck of a library. I am only at 35k track. You should look at audionirvana as am alternative. My concern is they may use a limited quality protocol like chromecast or airplay.

Edited to not say lower qualify.
I store the collection on a Dell 730xd, sorry I had a typo above, running TrueNAS. It's rock solid. In the past I stored the collection locally on the same dedicated Linux core. I had issues in that scenario as well.

O

One and a Half

Audiophyte
Having abandoned Roon quite some time ago, mainly due to very heavy storage space of duplicate metadata just got to me.

Have you tried Minimserver at all? There's a free version and installs on Linux, even on some NAS directly.

Minimserver is true DLNA/uPNP very lightweight. For control point use an android or ios phone, flavour of the month is JPLAY for iOS that controls Minmserver traffic to the endpoint renderer in your case PI devices. My track count is similar to yours, about 10,200 albums, and Minimserver can handle this load quite well. It's on a Windows 10 system, but no reason it can't behave the same for Linux.

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
Having abandoned Roon quite some time ago, mainly due to very heavy storage space of duplicate metadata just got to me.
can you please clarify this statement? The Database drive on most cores is just a few GB and all music storage is on another drive with no extra data. Where do you see heavy storage space? It can be processing intensive if you are doing DSP so please correct of that is your reference.

O

One and a Half

Audiophyte
can you please clarify this statement? The Database drive on most cores is just a few GB and all music storage is on another drive with no extra data. Where do you see heavy storage space? It can be processing intensive if you are doing DSP so please correct of that is your reference.
Sure, from what I can remember the Roon database file was well over 20GB. The album art sometimes messed up what was in the actual file I embedded, and when Roon asked that the users contribute to the album art, that was the last straw. The SQ wasn't all that great either, another reason.

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
The SQ wasn't all that great either, another reason.
Now that is funny. Ok. With that comment then I am out. Roon does not have sound quality. If you had a crap streamer and bad quality digital music than that is on you.

O

One and a Half

Audiophyte
Now that is funny. Ok. With that comment then I am out. Roon does not have sound quality. If you had a crap streamer and bad quality digital music than that is on you.
Ah, bits are bits brigade, parallel opinions, won't ever meet then. No issue, bye for now.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis