Room correction work around on older receivers?

C

Carlos rodriguez

Junior Audioholic
No, I can't say that I noticed that. I do notice at pretty extreme volumes (reference levels) there is more of an effortless feel, but I would never listen for long at reference levels if I care about my hearing! Even then, it's not night and day. I could even dismiss it as placebo. Nobody is immune! For all intents and purposes my receiver sounds just as good within its operating limits.

*Edit: Remember, you need to double your amp power just to gain 3db more in spl.
Yes, I listen to music and watch movies at very normal levels, not loud at all!!

If there is no real discernible difference between an AVR and a pre/amp configuration, and the latter is considerably more expensive, what would be the argument to buy the latter?? I get the bragging rights, but for logical people with a sense of value, what would be the argument?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Yes, I listen to music and watch movies at very normal levels, not loud at all!!

If there is no real discernible difference between an AVR and a pre/amp configuration, and the latter is considerably more expensive, what would be the argument to buy the latter?? I get the bragging rights, but for logical people with a sense of value, what would be the argument?
Not much if you have a capable avr. An avr with preouts would be my suggestion if you want to incorporate the amp. You'll get more bang for your buck with a good avr vs an expensive prepro. Right now prices are dropping on some of Denon's mid tier receivers.

C

Carlos rodriguez

Junior Audioholic
Thant is exactly what I was thinking, a mid AVR with preouts and an amp to fit your needs, power wise or bragging rights wise!!!;)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Thant is exactly what I was thinking, a mid AVR with preouts and an amp to fit your needs, power wise or bragging rights wise!!!;)
Lol. I do think the receiver by itself would be enough, but if you already have the amp, why not? Even if you just want an amp and didn't have one, there's nothing wrong with going that route. We just like to help you make informed decisions.

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
Well, ideally, speakers are chosen with careful consideration of local acoustics and listening habits, which will in turn dictate requisite amplification, such that you arrive as close to optimal performance right out of the gate, before any processing or eq is applied. At that point, you have the speaker/room/amp problem thoroughly addressed, or at least optimized so very little if any eq or 'room correction' processing is required. The basic requirements for the amps won't change until you change speakers, switch to a larger room, or move to a new house.

Basically, amps last a long time and really don't require changing, where processing, formats, and features will evolve at a relatively rapid pace.

Last edited:
ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
It is set at 8 ohms!
Good. I mentioned it simply because it's the low hanging fruit in the troubleshooting process, so it can be ruled out.

Next most likely culprit is a trigger happy protection circuitry in the Yamaha, as described in this post. Again, even normal listening levels can trigger this in an AVR, particularly with a bevvy of 4 ohm speakers attached.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis