Revel Performa3 M105 (serious)

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
This has been a good day -- someone came to look at my Mirage M-260 speakers, and ended up buying the Mirage and my Canton GLS 2 speakers - so I needed to replace what I lost. On Craiglist someone had some Revel M16 speakers listed, so I went to check them out, and found out that He also had the Performa3 -- I listened to both, and the M16 sounded good and better than the Infinity Beta 20 that I use to own. Then I listened to the Performa3 M105. ... These were clearly better and were more smooth, clear, and rich with higher resolution. Now the sad part, they list for $1500 a pair ..... well, I got them for $280 a pair.
The same amount that I got for the sale on the Canton and Mirage speakers. God is good, He really blessed me today.

The Revel M105 is really smooth and neutral with some rich detail and good definition. Nothing really offensive about them -- and the bass is good and rich for the size. These and the former MB Quart Vera 05 are 2 of the best speakers that I have owned. More to follow later, as I shake them down some more.

slideshow
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallery;area=slideshow;album=27963;start=185471;size=large

Last edited:
B

Beave

Audioholic Chief
You got a pair of M105s for $280??!?!?! Wowzers, that's one of the best deals I've heard of! Lucky you.

(Feel free to resell them to me later on. I'll be more than happy to pay you a good $20 over the price you paid! :p)

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Well if I sell them in the future -- so far a couple of you are low.:)

I am confident that they will hold me for awhile -- a lot of engineering went into them.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
You know your stuck where you are when you can't afford the upgrade. :D

That's my story anyway.
I am more than happy to be stuck with the Revel --- it has put my desire for the Canton Vento on hold for now --- when Harmon sticks to their mark on how a speaker should work and sound, then they hit the nail on the head --- they showed me something here.

R

rdkusher

Audioholic Intern
that is an insane deal you got.did you have incriminating information on his internet browsing activity or something?

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I am more than happy to be stuck with the Revel --- it has put my desire for the Canton Vento on hold for now --- when Harmon sticks to their mark on how a speaker should work and sound, then they hit the nail on the head --- they showed me something here.
I’m loving my Ventos and they aren’t going anywhere but I paid $720 not $280. :)

Johnny2Bad

Johnny2Bad

Audioholic Chief
Excellent loudspeakers at any price, so regardless of your bargain you did well. As I have heard them multiple times they would be a speaker I would own happily. Enjoy.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Wow! That is an incredible stroke of good fortune!

Congratulations!

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Thank You everyone

A look inside the Revel -- the crossover has 4 coils, 4 capacitors, 3 resistors -- braced front to back in the middle -- a huge magnet on the woofer -- and what looks to be a type of gray fiberglass for the inner lining. ... Now, they must have built it to the last penny, because the inside of the port is round cardboard (on a $1500 set of speakers).:( ..... but the bass is really good.

Slide show of inside
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallery;area=slideshow;album=27980;start=185496;size=large

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Does it make a difference if the port is partially cardboard? You prefer plastic? Nice score....what is this, the 125th pair now? :)

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Does it make a difference if the port is partially cardboard? You prefer plastic? Nice score....what is this, the 125th pair now? :)
No real difference if it is cardboard, just nit-picking -- but I would prefer no cardboard on more expensive speakers. .... and yes somewhere around 120 pairs.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
No real difference if it is cardboard, just nit-picking -- but I would prefer no cardboard on more expensive speakers. .... and yes somewhere around 120 pairs.
So what material would be the preference? Just curious. I admire your willingness to try so many speakers!

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
Thank You everyone

A look inside the Revel -- the crossover has 4 coils, 4 capacitors, 3 resistors -- braced front to back in the middle -- a huge magnet on the woofer -- and what looks to be a type of gray fiberglass for the inner lining. ... Now, they must have built it to the last penny, because the inside of the port is round cardboard (on a $1500 set of speakers).:( ..... but the bass is really good.

Slide show of inside
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallery;area=slideshow;album=27980;start=185496;size=large
Looks to me like
Thank You everyone

Slide show of inside
If I had to guess, I would say the woofer is 3rd order electrical, with one NP electrolytic cap as part of the 3rd order, plus an impedance compensation circuit with a resistor and an electrolytic cap. And the tweeter is a 3rd order electrical with a resistor. What's interesting to me is that Revel is using a steel laminate inductor for the big woofer coil rather than an air core. Some people would say that's cheaping out, but I also use steel laminates in the woofer circuit. They have very low dcr and more than acceptable saturation points.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I am more than happy to be stuck with the Revel
I just looked at 'em at the Crutchfield site. They look sharp with that curved cabinet. Nothing wrong with a well done piano black finish either. You see the optional matching stands?

3 resistors
That reminds me that I substituted 5 watt resistors for what should have been 10 watts on my last xo repair. It's time to make a PE order. Having seen the difference in parts lists for 2 and 3 way designs makes me appreciate the hassle a low xo point is to a speaker. I'm starting to see why TLS is against 3 ways in general. So if they built that box to the last penny, they were pennies well spent. They braced that little box like they meant it too.

I would prefer no cardboard
Well you already took it apart. Just get the hammer and saw for some home cooked mods. :eek:

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I just looked at 'em at the Crutchfield site. They look sharp with that curved cabinet. Nothing wrong with a well done piano black finish either. You see the optional matching stands?

That reminds me that I substituted 5 watt resistors for what should have been 10 watts on my last xo repair. It's time to make a PE order. Having seen the difference in parts lists for 2 and 3 way designs makes me appreciate the hassle a low xo point is to a speaker. I'm starting to see why TLS is against 3 ways in general. So if they built that box to the last penny, they were pennies well spent. They braced that little box like they meant it too.

Well you already took it apart. Just get the hammer and saw for some home cooked mods. :eek:
Piano black finish is not my favorite -- but for the price, it is good -- however, always stand about 2 feet back because light does reveal things. However, the sound over-rides it :)

That little box is braced well -- and handles heavy bass notes (within its range) good -- Sade's 'I Couldn't Love You More' has some heavy bass notes around the 100 hz region that caused the Canton GLS 2 cabinet to honk.

I opened the back of the Revel, because I did not have the proper tool to try and open the front (which is good), I have no desire to mess with any of it. It is one of those rare times, when a speaker does not have something that annoys me in the sound.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis