Revel Performa3 M105 (serious)

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Looks to me like If I had to guess, I would say the woofer is 3rd order electrical, with one NP electrolytic cap as part of the 3rd order, plus an impedance compensation circuit with a resistor and an electrolytic cap. And the tweeter is a 3rd order electrical with a resistor. What's interesting to me is that Revel is using a steel laminate inductor for the big woofer coil rather than an air core. Some people would say that's cheaping out, but I also use steel laminates in the woofer circuit. They have very low dcr and more than acceptable saturation points.
Yes I was guessing 3rd or 4th order -- and I was thinking about maybe impedance compensation .... thank you for your input.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
So what material would be the preference? Just curious. I admire your willingness to try so many speakers!
Well, most use plastic -- I knew from looking in from the outside that it was cardboard attached to the plastic {inside painted black). Cardboard is fine -- but I have seen some cheap paper tubes with some speakers in the past, and some that did not line evenly with the circular plastic tube on the outside.

Buying and testing speakers is a fun hobby, and I really like it.

Last edited:
zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
This is my short write up of the Revel Performa3 M105 and I do not claim to have golden ears --- the speakers do need some space from the rear and side walls

Voices and Instruments from octave to octave sound rich and balanced with good layering and texture and extension -- the trumpet and saxophone sound really good together -- piano with both high and low notes are easy to detect -- nuances are clear and easy to hear for both voices and instruments -- cymbals are quick with no overhang, drums have good punch, reverb and depth.

The overall sound is vivid but neutral with no brightness or edginess -- the tweeter is one of the best that I have ever heard. The image is crazy good and the soundstage is full, deep and wide, with good central imaging -- you are drawn into the stage -- there is a good sense of air and space. The timing seems right with these speakers. While these speakers are not so-called lush or warm, you can relax and enjoy the music.

Nora Jones voice which tends to be raspy and grainy, comes across nice with these speakers -- even Willie Nelson sounds better. Jackie Evancho singing Angel, was rich, and brought out more of the fullness of her voice. ..... The bass for the notes that they can hit is tight, articulate, and tuneful -- the rear port is overall clean.

Movies and TV are good with these speakers, with good detail and dynamics, however some speakers can be more dynamic. The speakers can and will play loud, but do not try to blow the roof off. The Revel M105 is better than the Snell K7 which use to list for around $1250 and the Boston VS260 which use to list for around $1400. The Revel is about in the same league as the former MB Quart Vera V05 speakers that listed for around $2000, the Vera has a bigger woofer and more bass, but the bass of the Revel is more tight and articulate.

Those who want to spend some money for a good set of speakers, should put the Revel M105 on a short list. --- I have already had one offer to buy them from me

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Piano black finish is not my favorite -- but for the price, it is good -- however, always stand about 2 feet back because light does reveal things. However, the sound over-rides it :)

That little box is braced well -- and handles heavy bass notes (within its range) good -- Sade's 'I Couldn't Love You More' has some heavy bass notes around the 100 hz region that caused the Canton GLS 2 cabinet to honk.

I opened the back of the Revel, because I did not have the proper tool to try and open the front (which is good), I have no desire to mess with any of it. It is one of those rare times, when a speaker does not have something that annoys me in the sound.
The cabinets on my Ventos don’t honk during that Sade song. Mine are crossed over at 80hz at the AVR to my Rythmik L12 sealed 12 in sub.

charmerci

charmerci

Audioholic
No real difference if it is cardboard, just nit-picking -- but I would prefer no cardboard on more expensive speakers. .... and yes somewhere around 120 pairs.
Well, since you've pulled off the back to look at them, you can get some non-drying clay and lightly coat them to make them more solid and less resonant - as I assume that you play them loudly.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Well, since you've pulled off the back to look at them, you can get some non-drying clay and lightly coat them to make them more solid and less resonant - as I assume that you play them loudly.
There is no hollow door knock sound -- and I am not picking up any resonance issues (distraction) that would move me to do that. -- they can play loud and clean, louder than I care to listen

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
from one Revel owner to another, congrats ! great find at a great price !

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis