recommendations on new receiver

W

Wycked304

Audiophyte
Hello all, I was perusing the interwebs and have recently been looking to upgrade my home stereo. I was running a 20 year old Sony receiver to a set of Klipsch KSF 10.5's. They have treated me well, but I am looking to upgrade both. I have already picked up 3 Aperion Audio Intimus L6-IW for front stage. I stumbled across the Axiom Audio EP500 and think I definitely need that kind of earth shaking sub in my life, but am open to suggestions on a sub as well. My question is regarding the gamut of receivers out there. I know this is all subjective and personal preference, but I am kicking around a Yamaha TSR-6750 or RX-V777 and a Marantz SR5008 and or SR7007. I think these would be sufficient to power the front stage and eventual rear(looking at Aperion in ceiling speakers). My living room is what I would call and very open layout with a wall that rises about 8 feet to somewhat seperate the living room and kitchen. I dont know what I would need to include to help with narrowing this down. I am not looking to go too overboard, but I do live by the adage "go big or go home" :) I am somewhat concerned about the sound output of the inwall speakers compared to the towers I ran before, but they offer a much cleaner look for a main living room that I am looking for. Thank you in advance for any and all help and suggestions.

Last edited:
JohnnieB

JohnnieB

Senior Audioholic
Hey Wycked,

That's quite a post full of thoughts. Let's see if we can narrow down a few things and help sort it all out.

We'll start at the top with your front stage. I have not heard any Aperion speakers, but I can tell you, freestanding such as bookshelves or towers are always recommended over in-wall/ceiling types. Now if you are set against freestanding for interior decor purposes, well that's certainly your choice, but be prepared for some performance trade offs.
Personally, if I didn't want towers, bookshelves would be the way I would go. There are some smaller bookshelves that offer very good sound. For example check out Ascend Acoustics.

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/cbm170/cbm170.html

There are other bookshelves as well that other forum members hopefully will recommend.The Aperion could certainly be used as rear surrounds should you decide to go that route. All that said, how many speakers have you auditioned, in-wall or otherwise?

Next I believed you mentioned a sub. The EP500. "Hand of Zeus" and all that aside, it might be a great sub, but I believe you can get better bang for your buck. Check out Rythmik or Shu.

http://www.hsuresearch.com/subwoofers.html

http://www.rythmikaudio.com/FV15HP.html

Now to receivers. You listed Yamaha and Marantz. Both are quality brands and you can't really go wrong with either. You may wish to consider Denon as well. They are sistered with Marantz. What features do you need? Are you planning on 5.1, 7.1, Atmos? What display are you going to use, do you need HDMI 2.0 or is 1.4 going to work for you? 3-D? Bluetooth, streaming? Also consider that a lot of new tech has hit the market lately in respect to receivers. Some feel that they are going to let the waters settle a bit and let the industry somewhat agree on a standard before upgrading. You can get some nice last generation receivers for a pretty good price.These are things to consider before purchasing a new receiver.

A little more info will help narrow down choices or provide for more exact recommendations. Things such as budget, room size in cu. ft. How far you sit from your speakers and display.

Very knowledgeable people on this forum. A few details, some patience and willingness to learn, should get you narrowed down and help sort through it all. ;)

Oh and, Welcome to the forum. :)

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Seconded on the sub. That is a nice sub you've picked out from Axiom; but for that kind of money you ought to consider the PSA V1500, the HSU VTF-15H MK2 (or the clearance VTF-15H -- thorough write-up on Data-Bass), or the Reaction Audio Echo 18 (my recommended top choice in this list). Or for the most thorough ground-pounding for your buck, get 2x Dayton 18" HO kits + amp, speakon or binding posts, cables, handles, and whatever other accessories you like, and DIY.

For the receiver, I recommend the Denon AVR-X4000. If there's a possibility that you might run two subs soon or not so soon, its SubEQ HT will be a huge benefit. Not many receivers will let you individually correct each of a pair of subs for time alignment and frequency response at the primary listening position, but the X4000 will.

Last edited:
W

Wycked304

Audiophyte
ok, not sure why, but I am trying to post reply and it is giving me an error telling me I cant post links or email addresses....which i have neither of in the response...

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
If you're clicking the Reply button in Johnnie's post or mine, your reply would include our hyperlinks. I think you have to have 5 posts before you can post hyperlinks. Rather than clicking Reply, you could just use the box at the bottom of the conversation instead, at least until you've got a few more posts under your belt.

Last edited:
W

Wycked304

Audiophyte
Hey Johnnie, thank you so much for the reply!! Lots of good info there to digest. I figured towers would be suggested as the way to go. I still have an old set of Klipsch, but I really wanted to get away from something so bulky and "in your face". I went with the in-walls since they are so unobtrusive. I may have to reconsider though.....
As far as subs, I am totally open to all suggestions, so I will check out your two recommendations. I am just looking for something that is accurate and able to perform well. Budget for the sub is in the 1500 range.
The receiver. Defenitely want Bluetooth and streaming wouldn't be bad either. Not looking for 3D in particular and HDMI 1.4 is ok with me. I actually looked at the Denon AVR-S900W this weekend online and it seems to be a solid contender.
My budget. Receiver= $1000 Sub=$1500
viewing distance from TV is about 13 feet. Room is a unique layout and very open ceilings that are approx 15ft high and open into the kitchen.
Again, thank you so much for the reply. I know I asked some pretty open ended questions, but I appreciate your suggestions

W

Wycked304

Audiophyte
AHHH!!! Thank you rojo!!!! and thank you for the recommendations as well. I will be checking these subs out today.

oqpi

oqpi

Audioholic Intern
Hello all, I was perusing the interwebs and have recently been looking to upgrade my home stereo. I was running a 20 year old Sony receiver to a set of Klipsch KSF 10.5's. They have treated me well, but I am looking to upgrade both. I have already picked up 3 Aperion Audio Intimus L6-IW for front stage. I stumbled across the Axiom Audio EP500 and think I definitely need that kind of earth shaking sub in my life, but am open to suggestions on a sub as well. My question is regarding the gamut of receivers out there. I know this is all subjective and personal preference, but I am kicking around a Yamaha TSR-6750 or RX-V777 and a Marantz SR5008 and or SR7007. I think these would be sufficient to power the front stage and eventual rear(looking at Aperion in ceiling speakers). My living room is what I would call and very open layout with a wall that rises about 8 feet to somewhat seperate the living room and kitchen. I dont know what I would need to include to help with narrowing this down. I am not looking to go too overboard, but I do live by the adage "go big or go home" :) I am somewhat concerned about the sound output of the inwall speakers compared to the towers I ran before, but they offer a much cleaner look for a main living room that I am looking for. Thank you in advance for any and all help and suggestions.
Try Outlaw RR2155 Stereo reciever WITH the Ultra-X12 sub woofer. It works magic in my home...
This might be the best solution if you dont have 50k to spend on stereo.. because the subwoofer is filtered to take the biggest load into its power amp, which frees the receiver for the stand floor speakers...
I am amazed about the sound produced through the Monitor Audio RX6... cannot believe I can hear even more detail than from my La Scala driven by Bryston and sourced by Naks... really impressed...
Try it.. the whole system costed me less than $2500...
And get a WYRD (made by Schiit Audio) USB decrapifier to clean the USB path so you can stream audio from YouTube at CD quality...

Last edited:
rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
And get a WYRD (made by Schiit Audio) USB decrapifier to clean the USB path so you can stream audio from YouTube at CD quality...
That was... random. I get that you're proud of your gear, but you might ought to wait till the question makes your gear relevant as a potential solution. Not sure which of the OP's stated concerns you intended to address with your Schiity recommendation. The Outlaw receiver's not a bad recommendation I guess, except OP said he already bought 3 speakers for his front stage. That's a pretty strong hint that he'd be more interested in an AVR than a stereo receiver. Rein in your enthusiasm a smidge.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
The Marantz or Yamaha can work fine for your needs.

oqpi

oqpi

Audioholic Intern
That was... random. I get that you're proud of your gear, but you might ought to wait till the question makes your gear relevant as a potential solution. Not sure which of the OP's stated concerns you intended to address with your Schiity recommendation. The Outlaw receiver's not a bad recommendation I guess, except OP said he already bought 3 speakers for his front stage. That's a pretty strong hint that he'd be more interested in an AVR than a stereo receiver. Rein in your enthusiasm a smidge.
I think you should mind your own business, if you don't have anything good to say.. Nobody needs your bitter comments

G

GIEGAR

Full Audioholic
Welcome to the forum Wycked! :)

You've got very good advice here so far from JohnnieB and Rojo. Just a few other things to think about...
Hey Johnnie, thank you so much for the reply!! Lots of good info there to digest. I figured towers would be suggested as the way to go. I still have an old set of Klipsch, but I really wanted to get away from something so bulky and "in your face". I went with the in-walls since they are so unobtrusive. I may have to reconsider though.....
When you said: I do live by the adage "go big or go home" in the post 1, I immediately thought of these in the AVS classifieds: Two Yorkville U215 speakers & one Yorkville U15 speaker: $2000. (See second pic here for scale.) They're awesome, but probably too big/bulky for just about anyone. ;)

I can certainly understand your preference for less obtrusive front speakers. You just need to be aware that there will be performance trade-offs with $150 in-wall speakers. You don't need to go all out with freestanding tower speakers though. A reasonable compromise is to step up to better class of in-wall or on-wall speaker.

There are a few companies around, but one I particularly like is Triad Speakers. Triad make a bit of a speciality of in-wall, in-ceiling and on-wall speakers and have speakers that span a wide range of price points. Something I particularly like about their design philosophy is that they don't pretend to be full range speakers and instead, trade-off low frequency extension for increased sensitivity. This is very sensible because a sub is pretty much mandatory in a HT environment anyway. One negative of Triad speakers is that many of them are (honestly) rated at 4Ω nominal impedance. This means that a 4Ω rated AVR is recommended, particularly if you prefer to listen/watch at "spirited" volumes.

This AVS post contains some introductory info and link to a spreadsheet showing recommended combinations of Triad speakers. Individual retail prices are given, but any smart dealer would sharpen his pencil on a package. For you, I like the InWall BRONZE/4 LCR or OnWall BRONZE LCR. Better still, you could get a pair of InWall SILVER/4 (or 6) LCR's initially and get third later on. The surround speakers could then be added further down the track (eg. InWall BRONZE/4 Satellite).

As far as subs, I am totally open to all suggestions, so I will check out your two recommendations. I am just looking for something that is accurate and able to perform well. Budget for the sub is in the 1500 range.
Within your budget, if it's accuracy and performance you're chasing, the Rythmik FV15HP JohnnieB recommended is very hard to beat. I was sold on Rythmik's Direct-Servo tech at about 0:46 of this video. (Note: Non HP version shown.)

The receiver. Defenitely want Bluetooth and streaming wouldn't be bad either. Not looking for 3D in particular and HDMI 1.4 is ok with me. I actually looked at the Denon AVR-S900W this weekend online and it seems to be a solid contender.

My budget. Receiver= $1000 Sub=$1500
Wyched, with a $1000 budget for an AVR, you will be significantly overspending on it at the expense of speakers. I good rule of thumb is to allocate only about 20 - 25% of your total audio budget to the AVR. Skewing your spend heavily towards speakers/subs will always produce a superior audio result than big spending on an AVR or pre-pro/amp combo. Also (and I rarely say this), you could trim back your sub budget slightly in anticipation of getting a second sub (if necessary) later, and plough that into better quality front speakers. I'd suggest an AVR around the $500 mark and a sub for around $1000.

For a $500(ish) AVR, my pick would be this factory refurb'd Onkyo TX-NR828. This unit is very capable and will drive a speaker setup of 89dB/1W/1m sensitivity | 4Ω LCR's and 8Ω surrounds to reference level (IOW very LOUD) in a medium sized room, and has your built-in Bluetooth and WiFi. On the flipside, it's Audyssey implementation (MultEQ) is a step down from comparable Denon/Marantz models. Onkyo has a reputation for fragile HDMI boards, but these issues appear to have been addressed in recent model cycles. If you don't end up with 4Ω speakers (or you always listen at sedate volumes), this refurb'd Denon AVR-X3100W would do nicely.

A $1000 sub? The Rythmik FVX15 is the updated version of the sub in the video. It's currently on introductory pricing for $999 shipped. It gives away only 2.5dBSPL in output to the FV15HP and plays just as deep.

The above $1000 "savings" will pay for one Triad InWall SILVER, and the returned Aperions will pay for half the other one. :D

viewing distance from TV is about 13 feet. Room is a unique layout and very open ceilings that are approx 15ft high and open into the kitchen.
Can you sneak in a bit closer than 13ft? Is 9 to 10ft a possibility? The closer you can get, the less power will be required to play at any given volume, the speakers aren't working quite as hard and the on-screen action will be more immersive.

Let us know what you think. ;)

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
You just need to be aware that there will be performance trade-offs with $150 in-wall speakers.
EXACTLY right! There is no AVR that will make $150 speakers sound great. Forget the AVR and sub for now... focus on your speakers, especially your Front Left/Center/Right. Think real hard about giving up fidelity for aesthetics. If you go in favor of aesthetics, you can save yourself some money and go cheap on the AVR & sub(s). They won't matter w/ cheap speakers.

W

Wycked304

Audiophyte
Goodness, now I am totally rethinking the front stage as far as speakers:eek:. Just some further info since the initial post I made. I have decided to go with the Denon AVR-X4000 for receiver. I was looking hard at the Reaction Audio Echo 18 that rojo had suggested. i dont know if that is overkill or not. As stated, i have a very open layout for where this will be going. But I want to acheive excellent bass reproduction for movies and music. Would one Rythmik FVX15 be sufficient? Would it be better to spend more on the FV15HP now, or a 2nd FVX15 later on? I hate to sound like a complete noob, but MAN have things changed since I bought equipment years ago. Guess I am off to start looking at tower speakers now o_O Thanks again everybody here who has contributed. I genuinely appreciate the guidance and suggestions.:)

sidenote: I saw in a thread somewhere Monitor Audio speakers....anybody's thoughts on the Silver 8?....scratch that......they are 4 ohm, but could do the Silver 6's.......

Last edited:
rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
You know, bookshelf speakers should be fine. As long as the distance between the speakers and the listening position isn't too great, you don't need to attempt to pressurize your entire open layout with towers. Cubic footage of your room is really more of a concern when choosing a subwoofer than other speakers. Since you're going to do a sub, the added low end offered by towers will be negated by your crossover anyway.

Depending on budget, mounting intentions, and whatever other contingencies are revealed, I'm tentatively going to recommend the Wave Crest Audio HVL-1 as the bookshelf speaker of the hour. (Also, see Jim Wilson's review.) You could do 3 for LCR, or you could go ahead and add a 4th and 5th for surrounds. You can see the pricing on the Wave Crest product page. Would those be within your budget?

If you'd prefer towers, zieg found the PSB Alpha T1's on sale yesterday, which appears to be a nice deal, but finding the matching center might take a little effort. (Crutchfield only has the center in white, it seems.) As long as you don't mind used, you could find it on fleabay.

Last edited:
W

Wycked304

Audiophyte
they are definitely within budget....but are they going to provide enough "oomph"? I feel like they are basically what I have now(in-wall speakers) just in a flimsy enclosure....I dont mind spending on towers if they are going to provide the deep rich sound I am after.....I did come from some Klipsch towers.....maybe I will hook them back up to the new receiver and see how they perform with the added power and go from there.....sorry to sound so wishy washy.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
No problemo. Your new receiver's Audyssey XT32 could very well breathe new life into your Klipsch towers for you. Since you've already got 'em, you might as well try 'em.

For surrounds, you don't have to be quite as concerned about timbre matching as you do matching your LCR. If a more diffuse, nebulous surround effect appeals to you and if you can find a reasonable mounting solution, the Fluance XLBP bipolar surrounds are excellent for the money. If you intend to perform critical listening of 5.1 channel music, you might be better off going with monopoles though. Are you going to do more movies or music?

A note on bookshelfs vs. in-walls: Well-designed bookshelf speakers employ baffle step compensation and cabinet tuning to achieve a reasonably flat response. In-wall speakers are considered infinite baffle, and are therefore more difficult to tune correctly. There are some that sound pretty good, but they're generally many times more expensive than a comparable bookshelf speaker. Additionally, MDF is denser / more inert than drywall, so you will probably get some unpleasant resonances with in-wall speakers that you wouldn't get with bookshelfs. Free-standing speakers simply sound better.

Last edited:
zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I did come from some Klipsch towers.....maybe I will hook them back up to the new receiver and see how they perform with the added power and go from there.....sorry to sound so wishy washy.
That is the way to start/judge - you do not want to spin
too fast on the merry-go-round.

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
Goodness, now I am totally rethinking the front stage as far as speakers:eek:. Just some further info since the initial post I made. I have decided to go with the Denon AVR-X4000 for receiver.
That's a nice receiver. I have one and love it.
Now, it can not be said enough, speakers... speakers... speakers.
You can get a noticeable improvement w/ $3k > $5k > $10k speakers. You will not get a noticeable improvement w/ a newer or more expensive AVR.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis