Recommend a good 5 channel 200+WPC amp?

A

Andrein

Senior Audioholic
One of the things you can be sure about is that mca 525 will not hum))). This amp has a great silent transformer compared to Emo xpa 5 gen 3 and Monolith 5.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
One of the things you can be sure about is that mca 525 will not hum))). This amp has a great silent transformer compared to Emo xpa 5 gen 3 and Monolith 5.
Is that in part due to the voltage in the UK? You got appropriate versions from Emotiva/Monolith or used some sort of conversion device? Haven't heard those complaints this end. I take it you have the 525 and it doesn't hum?

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I've not even heard a light hiss, let alone hum from my Monolith.

A

Andrein

Senior Audioholic
In my house i have dimmers. Hence all amps hum. Except mca 525.

A

Andrein

Senior Audioholic
Yes, if stated that way originally....
Even my Yamaha A1070 hums a bit. Though nobody complained on it. So my house must be very bad in this respect. And yet mca 525 is just dead silent.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I'd hate to have to spend too much for an amp because my house sucks.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Even my Yamaha A1070 hums a bit. Though nobody complained on it. So my house must be very bad in this respect. And yet mca 525 is just dead silent.
Sounds like either the electrical system would need to be scrutinized or the dimmers would go in my house :) I do like dimmers, tho, and use a few. They haven't interfered with my audio altho I tend to have them off when the audio is on but still there is some cross-use. Were these physical type hums or ones that came thru the audio?

A

Andrein

Senior Audioholic
Sounds like either the electrical system would need to be scrutinized or the dimmers would go in my house :) I do like dimmers, tho, and use a few. They haven't interfered with my audio altho I tend to have them off when the audio is on but still there is some cross-use. Were these physical type hums or ones that came thru the audio?
No, no hum through the speakers. Just the hum from some devices. Right now with mca 525 no hum is heard from the listening position (9ft). Not sure what other factors might be in addition to the dimmers but given the issue is kind of mitigated now, i will not be digging into this more. Maybe these old dimmers would need to be replaced... Anyway, my point was that some amps hum more than others in some houses. With mca 525 the house would likely not to be a reason of humming.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
No, no hum through the speakers. Just the hum from some devices. Right now with mca 525 no hum is heard from the listening position (9ft).
Just an audible vibration at the amp itself? What about the 525 if your ear is next to it?

A

Andrein

Senior Audioholic
Just an audible vibration at the amp itself? What about the 525 if your ear is next to it?
Not sure if that is vibration. Probably. If i get my ear touching mca 525 i can hear nothing at all))

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
As I mentioned a few times before, all transformers will harm when powered up without anything connected to the secondary. That's just physics, magnetic flux+laminated core = hum. Some are quieter than others, but most larger ones found in power amplifiers will hum loud enough to be audible in a quiet room and if you get close enough to it. In general, such natural construction related hum should not be audible from even a foot away, unless the room is really quiet (just an educated guess, as I don't have such a room).

I have some that were/are audible from a foot or two and some only with ears touching the chassis. If you can't hear it, either you have a higher noise floor in your room or you are not sensitive to the associated harmonic frequencies. Some would harmonize with other devices in the house that inject certain harmonics into the power line, resulted in much louder hum that obviously can be eliminated by simply turning off such device or use good quality power line conditioners/filters.

Some of the older Anthem amps hum quite loud, to the point I wouldn't consider them, but the recent MCA models are in fact silent from even inches away. Below were my findings in my own room(s)/houses:

The quite ones:
Adcom GFA-555 (no longer in use, lost in the basement) - very quiet, audible within a couple inches.
Denon AVR-3805, 1705, 1912, 4308 - very quiet, most would say silent I would think, audible with ear touching. Actually the 4308 was slightly louder, audible within a couple inches.
Marantz MM8003 - Same as the Denon AVRs
Marantz AV7005, 8801 - Same as the Denon AVRs. They should be quiet as the power transformers are small.
Anthem MCA 20 - Same as the Denon AVRs.
NAD C326BEE - Same as the Denon AVRs.
Outlaw M2200 - About the same as the Denon AVRs and Marantz MM8003

Now the louder ones:
Sony DA2ES - quiet, audible within a foot or so, from distant memory.
Sony DA4ES - medium loud, audible within 2-3 feet.
Parasound Halo A21 - medium loud even with the large toroidal transformer encapsulated, audible within a few inches. Sensitive to my variable speed humidifier.
Bryston 4B SST - About the same as the A21, may be a touch louder, but seemed totally immune to inference from other devices in the house.
Marantz SM-7 - A little louder than the Bryston and Parasound Halo.

I did press my ear on quite a few amps in dealers rooms and as I mentioned earlier I found the Anthem amps quite loud but that was more than 10 years ago for sure. Other than that, nothing really stood out that I could remember, but it was very difficult to compare in dealers rooms as one can easily imagine.

In my opinion/experience, Andrein brought up an excellent point that audible noise should be a factor. Whenever I shop for amps, I would definitely consider the weight and noise level (transformer hum). I do rank the Anthem MCA amps high because of their excellent power to weight ratio, and the quiet hum. Continuous power rating (I mean literally continuous, like Krell, McIntosh's) are not important to me at all as I have no time for highly compressed music contents.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
You don't support adding external amplification to certain AVR's?
How did you deduced that from my statement? :eek:

All I said was that ATI seems to be involved with a lot of amp companies. :D

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
How did you deduced that from my statement? :eek:

All I said was that ATI seems to be involved with a lot of amp companies. :D
That was actually from another thread where you shared your opinion on adding external amps to receivers.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
That was actually from another thread where you shared your opinion on adding external amps to receivers.
Well, I didn’t want to turn this into another “AVR vs Separates” thread. :D

But, yes, I do believe that most AVRs in most systems don’t require external amps.

T

twylight

Audioholic Intern
A few thoughts for the OP

I have most the amps listed here and they are all fine
I would get emotiva or monolith for a normal ab amp on the new market.

If you go used you can cut the price in half with some shopping on hifishark, but no warranty etc.

Noisy amps for me have always been power related and four things fix it every time.

1. Common ground that is correctly grounded
2. Dedicated electrical pulls with no lights or appliances on them
3. Star ground chasis wiring added to gear
4. Cheater plug death fire mods if those don't work lol

Amps don't have great resale because of shipping weight imo. Class D amps weigh nothing, but the better ones will be out of your price range (hypex, d Sonic, ati, etc) but you could get pro stuff.

Buy the monolith and move on is my advice.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis