Recommend a good 5 channel 200+WPC amp?

Landmonster

Landmonster

Audioholic
I don't have the know-how to discuss Phase Angle against the Impedance of the speakers, but if those dip that low, you should make certain you are getting the right amp for the job. None of the Amps being discussed, short of the Crown XLS are rated to support 2 Ohm loads.

Aside from that, I agree for the most part that "Budget Friendly" good-quality Amps like the Monoliths, Emotiva XPAs, and the Outlaw Monoblocks would be great options to consider, assuming the speakers aren't going to prove lethal to them. o_O:eek:;)

Here's a link from our good friendly Mod, Steve:
https://www.audioholics.com/loudspeaker-design/understanding-impedance-electrical-phase

Depending on the ratings for your Center, remember that it is the workhorse in HT, and may be better served putting a 3-channel amp up front rather than pairing it with an Amp for the Surrounds. Usually, the surrounds, Rears, and any Atmos speakers will only see a fraction of the power required for the front three, hence why we often recommend running those from the AVR and using the external Amp up front. :)
Perhaps I should have been more clear. My question here was not whether to let the receiver power the center.

In the hypothetical example of using a 300x2, and 275x3 amp combo...

is it better to have all 3 front channels powered exactly the same, with 275x3? and let the surround be handled by a more potent 300x2 amp? or...

Let the front L/R channels be powered by the 300x2 amp, and let the other 3 smaller speakers be handled by 275x3? (even though this creates a slight imbalance of power on the front stage)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Keep in mind that going from 200wpc to 300wpc is merely a 1.8dB gain in spl. I'd do all three across the front for external amps (altho I don't any more, just use my avrs these days for all ch in each system even tho I still have the amps around).....unless you're more interested in blasting 2ch vs multich.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I didn't suggest using the AVR to power the center, rather the surrounds.
25w is a negligible amount of power if you ever reach that level. As an example, 256 w on a 90dB sensitivity rating, @ 1m, would produce 115dB. You would need 512w of power to gain an additional 3dB; 118dB @ 1m.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
As for the speakers being "not being safe",
Unless I missed it, I didn't see anything about speakers being dangerous. However, the link I added to my post above about the Phase Angle and Impedance should help you understand what is meant about a speaker presenting low impedance and a risk to amplifier or speaker. :)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Unless I missed it, I didn't see anything about speakers being dangerous. However, the link I added to my post above about the Phase Angle and Impedance should help you understand what is meant about a speaker presenting low impedance and a risk to amplifier or speaker. :)
He said it would shorten the life of receivers....and it's a conspiracy between SU's divisions to sell more receivers as they break them with their speakers....

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
Let the front L/R channels be powered by the 300x2 amp, and let the other 3 smaller speakers be handled by 275x3? (even though this creates a slight imbalance of power on the front stage)
Yes.

275w for surrounds will be overkill but why not
I use a Parasound a31 for front 3 and an older 2x125w parasound for the surrounds. Works a treat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Yes.
275w for surrounds will be overkill but why not
I use a Parasound a31 for front 3 and an older 2x125w parasound for the surrounds. Works a treat.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Watch out Leemix, the Tapatalk Signature Police will be coming for you! :p

Nothing wrong with a little Headroom! ;) How much Headroom does one need? Enough to hit dynamic peaks in a way that makes you happy!

Now: please quantify.

:cool:

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Perhaps I should have been more clear. My question here was not whether to let the receiver power the center.

In the hypothetical example of using a 300x2, and 275x3 amp combo...

is it better to have all 3 front channels powered exactly the same, with 275x3? and let the surround be handled by a more potent 300x2 amp? or...

No need for them to have the same rated output and there won't be any imbalance. The fact is, unless you sit very far away, like 5 meters or more, your amps will likely be cruising at a few watts average per channel. It will be the peaks that may push the output pass 200 W or higher.

For simplicity, look to Monolith, Outlaw and Anthem's MCA 525 for class AB amps, or Emo, ATI for class D amps. I like the MCA 525 a lot for its lighter weight and excellent dynamic output. Those 4 ohm LSIMs will love it.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Watch out Leemix, the Tapatalk Signature Police will be coming for you! :p

Nothing wrong with a little Headroom! ;) How much Headroom does one need? Enough to hit dynamic peaks in a way that makes you happy!

Now: please quantify.

:cool:
Did they come for your sent from cute little device thing you used for CAS?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Did they come for your sent from cute little device thing you used for CAS?
:p
I changed it when I became aware due to that thread! Nobody complained yet for my tongue-in-cheek-twist. *shrugs
But then I also only use Tapa to post photos... so not too often. ;)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Parasound, Sunfire, ATI, Adcom
Parasound, Sunfire, Adcom, Classe, Rotel, Bryston, Anthem, Lexicon, Krell, Mark Levinson, Cary Audio, B&K, Theta.

Seven of those names are associated with ATI in one way of another (in addition to ATI making amps for Monolith and Outlaw).

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I just noticed that the 3 channel Monolith amp I posted earlier is refurbished for $879. Assuming it has all the same warranties as new, I think I'd jump on it. That's a nice discount.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
who on earth doesn't meet that criteria?
Hey, speak for yourself. Jeez. Everyone shares my beliefs. For speakers and subs, only RBH. For pre-pro and amps, only Yamaha. That’s all there is to it. :D

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
Parasound, Sunfire, Adcom, Classe, Rotel, Bryston, Anthem, Lexicon, Krell, Mark Levinson, Cary Audio, B&K, Theta.

Seven of those names are associated with ATI in one way of another (in addition to ATI making amps for Monolith and Outlaw).
You don't support adding external amplification to certain AVR's?

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
No need for them to have the same rated output and there won't be any imbalance. The fact is, unless you sit very far away, like 5 meters or more, your amps will likely be cruising at a few watts average per channel. It will be the peaks that may push the output pass 200 W or higher.

For simplicity, look to Monolith, Outlaw and Anthem's MCA 525 for class AB amps, or Emo, ATI for class D amps. I like the MCA 525 a lot for its lighter weight and excellent dynamic output. Those 4 ohm LSIMs will love it.
I looked at the MCA 525's specs on Anthem's website.

I don't like the way the specify THD. They quote it for a 100W output. What is it for full rated output of 225W @ 8 ohms and 400W @ 4 ohms between 20-20 kHz, not only for a frequency of 1 kHz? Did you find any serious detailed review on it?

In my opinion, if an electronic audio product manufacturer doesn't publish the full detailed specs on their gear, one can wonder what are they trying to hide by not quoting the real figures.

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I looked at the MCA 525's specs on Anthem's website.

I don't like the way the specify THD. They quote it for a 100W output. What is it for full rated output of 225W @ 8 ohms and 400W @ 4 ohms between 20-20 kHz, not only for a frequency of 1 kHz? Did you find any serious detailed review on it?

In my opinion, if an electronic audio product manufacturer doesn't publish the full detailed specs on their gear, one can wonder what are they trying to hide by not quoting the real figures.
The MCA 5 and MCA 50 (the grand father and father of the MCA 525) are available, but not the new and improved MCA 525 itself.

https://hometheaterhifi.com/volume_6_4/anthem-mca-5-amplifier.html

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/anthem-avm-30-prepro-anthem-mca-50-amplifier-and-kef-kht-9000-ace-speaker-system-ht-labs-mea

There is a review by soundstageaccess.com, no bench test but according to the reviewer:

https://www.soundstageaccess.com/index.php/equipment-reviews/770-anthem-mca-525-multichannel-amplifier
Anthem specifies the MCA 525 as having lower distortion than the MCA 50: a very low 0.001% THD at 100W at 1kHz, and 0.015% at 20kHz. Continuous power output, with one channel driven, is specced as 225W into 8 ohms, 400W into 4 ohms, or 600W into 2 ohms, all from 20Hz to 20kHz with less than 1% THD.

I suspect it would do about 0.1% THD at 200 W into 8 ohms, like the MCA 50 that did 193.3 W @ 0.1 THd. Not great, but pretty good for a relatively light weight class AB amp with linear PS.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis