Receiver or speaker distortion?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Your plan will work. I highly doubt the frequency issue will be a problem. I can't be 100% certain as I don't have the circuit for your amp.

I live in a remote area on a Lake in North Central Minnesota in the middle of a forest. I have 250 Mbs up and down. It costs $70 per month.
I'm curous, would he still need the power conditioner? The very little I know about them, sounds like there are few situations where they're even necessary and can they add noise to a system?

A

Andrein

Senior Audioholic
Sorry guys.

My wife found that thing. She used it for her tablet. So just tried and it did not help. Maybe noise became a bit less loud. But not sure.

Any other ideas?))

A

Andrein

Senior Audioholic
Hi guys.

To update you and ask for help again))... I bought ac-dc and dc-ac converters to convert 240v/50hz to 110v/60hz. Transformer hum is now not so loud and from my sofa almost not audible. But I would like to try to make it even better. What I noticed is that when i switch amplifier on and av receiver power socket is switched off then the hum is louder (i can even hear it in the tweeters). When i switch the socket on (keeping av receiver in standby mode), there is less hum.

What can be the issue here?

P

Puglover

Audioholic Intern
Hi guys.

To update you and ask for help again))... I bought ac-dc and dc-ac converters to convert 240v/50hz to 110v/60hz. Transformer hum is now not so loud and from my sofa almost not audible. But I would like to try to make it even better. What I noticed is that when i switch amplifier on and av receiver power socket is switched off then the hum is louder (i can even hear it in the tweeters). When i switch the socket on (keeping av receiver in standby mode), there is less hum.

What can be the issue here?
Did you find out what was causing your problem? I only ask for I have the 860 run a 5 speaker system, no subwoofer, including large towers. I have never noticed any clipping sounds from mine and I usually listen to movies around -25 to -35 depending on source material. At higher levels, -15, it can blow you out. You have 2 subs and that takes more strain off the 860. I don't know alot about all this but I have never had a problem like yours on my 860. How do you like the svs subwoofers? I thought about adding the sb 2000.

P

Puglover

Audioholic Intern
Sorry, I wrote my reply in the wrong place. I was checking out people with an rxa 860 and ran across your thread so I was curious if you solved your problem.

A

Andrein

Senior Audioholic
It is a problem which was named placebo by someone here. Seriously, only some peaks in some songs which require most from your av. In 99.9 % cases no problem. I am solving this by separate amp. But this might be more my problem than one of the receiver)))

A

Andrein

Senior Audioholic
Did you find out what was causing your problem? I only ask for I have the 860 run a 5 speaker system, no subwoofer, including large towers. I have never noticed any clipping sounds from mine and I usually listen to movies around -25 to -35 depending on source material. At higher levels, -15, it can blow you out. You have 2 subs and that takes more strain off the 860. I don't know alot about all this but I have never had a problem like yours on my 860. How do you like the svs subwoofers? I thought about adding the sb 2000.
Subs are fantastic! Especially in my room 5x5m

P

Puglover

Audioholic Intern
Do you notice much difference in sound quality between the 860's internel amplifiers and your add on amplifier other than loudness at higher volumes? I only ask for I am considering adding an amplifier to my system.

A

Andrein

Senior Audioholic
I also noticed more details in some songs. Some new instruments, quiet sounds i did not notice with pure a860 amp. But improvement is not huge to be honest.

P

Puglover

Audioholic Intern
I also noticed more details in some songs. Some new instruments, quiet sounds i did not notice with pure a860 amp. But improvement is not huge to be honest.
That's what I keep hearing in the different forums that I have seen that adding more power doesn't mean better quality in sound which blows my mind! I am glad that I have researched this site for I have learned so much from people who knows there stuff and other people's questions on adding more power. Really changed my mind on what I buy next aka (subwoofer) nice to hear from others with experience. I believe a subwoofer purchase is coming. Can't decide on svs pb 1000 or sb 2000? But I will keep researching before I purchase.

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
That's what I keep hearing in the different forums that I have seen that adding more power doesn't mean better quality in sound which blows my mind! I am glad that I have researched this site for I have learned so much from people who knows there stuff and other people's questions on adding more power. Really changed my mind on what I buy next aka (subwoofer) nice to hear from others with experience. I believe a subwoofer purchase is coming. Can't decide on svs pb 1000 or sb 2000? But I will keep researching before I purchase.
If you buy a passive sub be sure you power it with an amp having enough power to keep the sub from clipping, that's to say, be sure to follow the manufacturers recommendations. On another matter, better sound is tied to power but not in the way most might expect. Really magnificent speakers, the sort you would use for stereo music, are typically very large, i.e. the JBL 4367; and, these types will effortlessly produce life-like sound when appropriately powered. Unfortunately, not to many folks can afford such speakers; but, nevertheless, buying such will get the purchaser the most recognizable improvement in sound, which does not require an active imagination to appreciate.

RichB

RichB

Audioholic Field Marshall
I found this posted on ASR and it seems relevant to the this thread.
AudioholicsDistortion.jpg

- Rich

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis