Receiver or speaker distortion?

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
Curious, with Sony equipment how do you determine a volume level of -28dB? AFAIK Sony avrs don't use this type of volume scale, or was ES series unique in this regard?

In any case -28dB on the master volume (about 57 dB average level with peaks up to 77 dB for material adhering to such standard) isn't particularly loud IMO nor uses up a lot of amp power; OP with his speakers is likely at less than 1W at such levels, hardly clipping territory for his amp even with an extreme peak. Assuming calibrated and using source/material that used such standard.
The Sony TA-E9000ES has an LED volume scale, as you put it. -25 on LP's and about -30 on CD's with very high dynamic range is about as "reference" like as I can handle. Set at-30 the canons from the 1812 overture do indeed sound pretty much like they'd sound at a fireworks event. Dance music of the Kayne West sort, which is just loud all over, I can get to about -40 for bass that is appropriate.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The Sony TA-E9000ES has an LED volume scale, as you put it. -25 on LP's and about -30 on CD's with very high dynamic range is about as "reference" like as I can handle. Set at-30 the canons from the 1812 overture do indeed sound pretty much like they'd sound at a fireworks event. ON dance music on
CD of the Kayne West sort, which is just loud all over, I can get to about -40 too for bass that is just let's say appropriate.
Not what I meant. Does your Sony employ a calibration routine to use an absolute or relative volume scale expressed in dB referenced to the THX movie standard like some of the main brands like Yamaha/Marantz/Denon do? In the OP's case, if he's calibrated his unit with YPAO, a volume level of -28dB means he's 28dB down from reference level of 0 on the relative volume scale (reference level of 0 being average speaker levels of 85dB with allowance for 20dB peaks), so somewhat something others can equate to when comparing volume numbers. Last I looked at several Sony units they did not use such a calibrated volume scale. Music isn't recorded in reference to a reference either so volume readings for music are all over the place even on a unit calibrated to the THX movie standard.

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
Not what I meant. Does your Sony employ a calibration routine to use an absolute or relative volume scale expressed in dB referenced to the THX movie standard like some of the main brands like Yamaha/Marantz/Denon do? In the OP's case, if he's calibrated his unit with YPAO, a volume level of -28dB means he's 28dB down from reference level of 0 on the relative volume scale (reference level of 0 being average speaker levels of 85dB with allowance for 20dB peaks), so somewhat something others can equate to when comparing volume numbers. Last I looked at several Sony units they did not use such a calibrated volume scale. Music isn't recorded in reference to a reference either so volume readings for music are all over the place even on a unit calibrated to the THX movie standard.
No

A

Andrein

Senior Audioholic
Hi guys.

Just to give you some recent examples.

Courages movie from netflix - within first 5 seconds.

Direcstraits Money for nothing 2:35 -2:45.

If someone has a chance to check on your system would be greatful. I am starting thinking maybe i am going mad)))

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Hi guys.

Just to give you some recent examples.

Courages movie from netflix - within first 5 seconds.

Direcstraits Money for nothing 2:35 -2:45.

If someone has a chance to check on your system would be greatful. I am starting thinking maybe i am going mad)))
Don't see a movie called Courages....what version of Money for Nothing?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Courageous doesn't seems to be only a rental choice so I'm not going to help you there as I have no desire to rent it otherwise. Even if someone did rent it was it the dvd or the blu-ray? What audio settings? :)

A

Andrein

Senior Audioholic
I streamed it from Netflix. I have 8£ a month subscription. No extra fee for this movie.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
It's not available to stream in the US. I can't even find it. Is that the only one? I'm curious now too.

A

Andrein

Senior Audioholic
American movie not svailable in US)))

There has been others. I just dont remember exactly nsmes and times where i heard distortion. I will keep an eye and will post more examples here soon. For movies and music.

A

Andrein

Senior Audioholic
Hi.

Guys. Trying to reduce distortion i bought Monolith 5x200 amplifier but gotbinto another problem. This amp is designed only for 110v 60hz. I didnt realize that before.

It came to uk. To connect it i then bought voltage transformer and power conditioner. But there is a noticible hum in the amp. Which does not depend on volume or input. And i can hear it in the speakers.

Any way i can reduce the hum?

I found emotiva amx-2. But not sure if it is worth to try given it is designed for 60hz as well. Could not find similar device in uk.

Anyone has ideas?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Can't help you with your hum issue, don't know if that's a usual problem using a voltage transformer with an amp but suspect it has something to do with it.

Not heard of the Emotiva AMX-2 but seems you should figure out how to get the Monolith hum free before just trying another.

How about one, or a few, of these ? I assume this will be setup for your power system since its for sale in the UK specifically. They get pretty good reports, basis of a pretty cool experiment, too http://matrixhifi.com/ENG_contenedor_ppec.htm

A

Andrein

Senior Audioholic
I would like to make monolith work. No way i will send this back to us for 700usd)))

Other amplifiers are not considered at the moment

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I would like to make monolith work. No way i will send this back to us for 700usd)))

Other amplifiers are not considered at the moment
Maybe a new thread, possibly @TLS Guy would be able to help.

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
In order to help you, I need to know the exact details of the transformer you bought and its internal wiring.

Usually using gear built for the US and using it in the UK causes lots of problems as you are finding out. It is unwise and can be dangerous unless robustly engineered.

You should have disclosed you were in the UK. This has wasted a lot of time. We need mandatory disclosure on this site to identify where people live.

The reason you are having trouble with streaming is that the UK has third world Internet access. I have just returned from the UK, and tested the connection speed with DSL reports at several locations. None of the sites had sufficient bandwidth to allow for quality streaming, certainly not from Netflix. BBC iPlayer has special technology to help ameliorate the UK's lamentable infra structure. At my brothe/rs place where I was staying the connection speed was so bad Neflix was not real watchable. That location was Langely just outside Maidstone Kent. That is right in the heart of of South East England. That is a total disgrace.

Please measure your connection speed with DSL Reports and check back with us.

A

Andrein

Senior Audioholic
So. I bought Monolith 5 amp. Then realized that it has 110/60 only transformer.
Bought Goldsource step down converter.

https://www.instapark.com/voltage-transformer-converters/goldsource-step-up-n-down-power-voltage-transformer-stu-3000-w-5v-usb.html

Connected amp to this device. It works but there is a hum from amp transformer.

I bought power conditioner:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/tacima-2m-six-socket-mains-conditioner-with-rfi-filter-for-home-cinema-and-hifi-a60zr?cmpid=ppc:best_sellers:pla:google&gclid=CjwKEAjwoLfHBRD_jLW93remyAQSJABIygGpewaM4ryuUUl3QWmhET8846wHkq932rYJAAAQsatidRoCCKfw_wcB

But hum is still there.

Now I am thinking getting AC/DC converter and DC/AC converter.

1) AC/DC

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mean-Well-RSP-3000-48-AC-DC-Power-Supply-Single-OUT-48V-62-5A-3KW-US-Authorized-/122042063534?hash=item1c6a461aae:g:U-wAAOSwnDxUlOqj

2) DC/AC

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3000W-LF-pure-sine-wave-power-inverter-DC-12V-AC110V-60HZ-power-tool-/222012844622?hash=item33b0ff2a4e:g:00IAAOSwZQRYht3C

Will this work at all or I have to buy expensive frequency converter?

P.S. In Hertfordshire where I live I have 60mbs so no problem with internet (at least for me).

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

So. I bought Monolith 5 amp. Then realized that it has 110/60 only transformer.
Bought Goldsource step down converter.

https://www.instapark.com/voltage-transformer-converters/goldsource-step-up-n-down-power-voltage-transformer-stu-3000-w-5v-usb.html

Connected amp to this device. It works but there is a hum from amp transformer.

I bought power conditioner:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/tacima-2m-six-socket-mains-conditioner-with-rfi-filter-for-home-cinema-and-hifi-a60zr?cmpid=ppc:best_sellers:pla:google&gclid=CjwKEAjwoLfHBRD_jLW93remyAQSJABIygGpewaM4ryuUUl3QWmhET8846wHkq932rYJAAAQsatidRoCCKfw_wcB

But hum is still there.

Now I am thinking getting AC/DC converter and DC/AC converter.

1) AC/DC

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mean-Well-RSP-3000-48-AC-DC-Power-Supply-Single-OUT-48V-62-5A-3KW-US-Authorized-/122042063534?hash=item1c6a461aae:g:U-wAAOSwnDxUlOqj

2) DC/AC

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3000W-LF-pure-sine-wave-power-inverter-DC-12V-AC110V-60HZ-power-tool-/222012844622?hash=item33b0ff2a4e:g:00IAAOSwZQRYht3C

Will this work at all or I have to buy expensive frequency converter?

P.S. In Hertfordshire where I live I have 60mbs so no problem with internet (at least for me).
Did you measure that you are getting 60 Mbs. I find more often than not UK customers are seldom getting what they are paying for.

You have a ground loop as a result of the converter.

You need to lift the ground from the converter.

It will be perfectly safe as the transformer will isolate your amp from the mains and the power is "floating."

You need one of these.

You will probably have to order one from the US. Insert it into the output of your converter.

That will solve your problem.

I know Hertfordshire quite well. The head office of our earth moving company Pardix was at 4 Cadmore Lane Cheshunt. It is right adjacent to the high street. It is now a block of apartments.

I grew up in the Medway Towns. The yard South of the Thames was at Greenhithe.

I remember going out with Belching Bertha, a petrol paraffin Cat R4 cable dozer, to turn the first Earth for Stephenage New Town. The wheat crop had just been taken off. It is hard to imagine that now. The firm did extensive work at Harlow New Town and Basildon New Town.

A

Andrein

Senior Audioholic
Hi.

))) Thank you! I live in Croxley Green, village near Watford. Actually not too far from Cheshunt))

Yeah i have at least 60mbs. Paying for 70 i think. These days it all depends on how much you want to pay. I often work from home and need to upload and download hundreds of gigs of data. So had to buy internet a bit better than average...

What is the name for this small thing? Ground isolater of something like that? It will be between amp and converter? If i cant find this i will probably buy another cable without ground for the amp...

Will amp be happy with 50hz?

I will try this simple thing first. My wife is not happy about new amp. She cant hear distortion from receiver and cant justify this purchase at all)))

Anyway. I will try and let you know how it works.

Thank you!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Hi.

))) Thank you! I live in Croxley Green, village near Watford. Actually not too far from Cheshunt))

Yeah i have at least 60mbs. Paying for 70 i think. These days it all depends on how much you want to pay. I often work from home and need to upload and download hundreds of gigs of data. So had to buy internet a bit better than average...

What is the name for this small thing? Ground isolater of something like that? It will be between amp and converter? If i cant find this i will probably buy another cable without ground for the amp...

Will amp be happy with 50hz?

I will try this simple thing first. My wife is not happy about new amp. She cant hear distortion from receiver and cant justify this purchase at all)))

Anyway. I will try and let you know how it works.

Thank you!
Your plan will work. I highly doubt the frequency issue will be a problem. I can't be 100% certain as I don't have the circuit for your amp.

I live in a remote area on a Lake in North Central Minnesota in the middle of a forest. I have 250 Mbs up and down. It costs $70 per month.

A

Andrein

Senior Audioholic
I hope this will work. What i heard was already better than av receiver. Found some sounds in one of the songs which i had not noticed before with receiver.

Good internet in remote location is great. Though for me to live on a lake in remote location itself would be enough. I have a house in wales. With one lane road going 2 miles to my house from another slightly larger road. I dont have phone line there. Got satelite internet only last month because mobile internet was not working during raining days which are most of the days in wales)))

Anyway. Let me find that thing and test again...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis