Reavon (Oppo replacement)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
From the little I know made at the same factory making some of the Outlaw amps (5000/7000)? Or am I misremembering that? Not sure but remember some splash made by the claims of being as good as Oppo....but could be same factory thing again, too.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Has anyone purchased a Reavon unit or watched/listened to one yet? Seems to be getting good reviews on all the different sites from a quick google search.
The Reavon UBR-X200 sells for US$1700. It's not worth considering at the price, when you can get a very capable Sony universal Blu-ray player for less than CA$500. The Sony BD players are reliable. What is the reliability of the more expensive and relatively unknown product?

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
The Reavon UBR-X200 sells for US$1700. It's not worth considering at the price, when you can get a very capable Sony universal Blu-ray player for less than CA$500. The Sony BD players are reliable. What is the reliability of the more expensive and relatively unknown product?
That's why I asked the question.

I have a Sony and my only issue with the Sony is that it doesn't offer analog out. Quality DACs are cheap now and it would open Sony to a bigger market.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
That's why I asked the question.

I have a Sony and my only issue with the Sony is that it doesn't offer analog out. Quality DACs are cheap now and it would open Sony to a bigger market.
Currently released preamp-pros and AVRs only have HDMI inputs. DACs included in them are amply satisfying. Nowadays, we are in the digital era.

mono-bloc

mono-bloc

Full Audioholic
rom the little I know made at the same factory making some of the Outlaw amps
Once again you demonstrate your pig ignorance. Reavon are made in France. But no doubt you'll make up a story..Disproving everything someone else tells you.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Once again you demonstrate your pig ignorance. Reavon are made in France. But no doubt you'll make up a story..Disproving everything someone else tells you.
This is not the Steam Vent forum.

In your quote you did not include his next sentence:

>>>Or am I misremembering that?<<<

Last edited:
3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Currently released preamp-pros and AVRs only have HDMI inputs. DACs included in them are amply satisfying. Nowadays, we are in the digital era.
I guess I must be seeing things and this from their entry level. Move up the chain and you get more analog inputs.

1681736541004.png

The point is Verdinut is that your just throwing out argument after argument with your mind already made up about a product we know very little about. That's why I asked the question. Remember that the Oppos were also very expensive, certainly more expensive than the Sony's and Panasonics but Oppo seemed more readily accepted then Reavon for some strange reason. Quite frankly there is not enough information out there yet about Reavon to reach any kind of conclusion. Stay open minded and let the facts come in first. Yes they are expensive but again, so was Oppo.

mono-bloc

mono-bloc

Full Audioholic
Remember that the Oppos were also very expensive, certainly more expensive than the Sony's and Panasonics but Oppo seemed more readily accepted then Reavon
Reason being Reavon are junk, I had the 200 model a good while ago, Just to see what made them tick. Fortunately it was a Demo model and went back shortly after
The cost of Oppo is really dictated by the advanced quality build and the added features they carry.. I would suggest You consider the price of a modified Oppo with an external power supply, While there currently out of prediction. They Are sometimes available on the used /demo market The modification alone was worth $2500 us, and there was a waiting List

You could supply a current model or Modwright could supply one https://www.modwright.com/modifications/oppo-bdp83-and-bdp83se-mod.php

The thing is anything with a custom made external power supply, is expansive. Naim, Lynn, and Cyrus all have provision for An add-on Power supply.. Cyrus start at $2500 each. I know I have two of them. And yes they do make a difference. But like all thing, you only get what you pay for. Now look up the price of cars, houses etc

And by the way if you consider Reavon expensive consider the price of Metronome AQWO $16,800 or the Tube version $18,800

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
An external PSU modification at $2500 for an Oppo player? :rolleyes:

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah, definitely some misinformation in this thread. Anyway, the Oppo players were great but other players caught up a bit. Discs have been dying a slow death and Oppo wouldn’t see them to the end.

When multichannel DSD and MLP could only be had over multichannel analog ports, Oppo players ruled and even Denon moved some units with their universal disc players.

I put down five hundred bucks on a BDP-83 over ten years ago and chipped it for all region discs. It was my prized electronic possession for some time. But, then 4K/UHD blu-ray came around and I could not justify the cost of the new Oppo players.

If anyone was upgrading players to connect to older EXT. IN 7.1 equipped processors or receivers, Oppo was the only option and supported the most disc types. But, Enjoying new formats like Dolby Atmos and DTS:X requires HDMI and every other connection type at this point is obsolete and unnecessary for all but the staunchest supporters of multichannel analog ports and/or XLR ports on equipped players, processors and receivers.

There will be those that believe the DACs in an Oppo or other players will be superior to those in anything else. There will be those that believe DACs in players are unnecessary and can’t do a better job than a quality DAC in a new processor or receiver. I’d say I lean toward the latter.

While HDCP is the real reason for HDMI, that doesn’t mean HDMI does not perform. So, in looking to replace my BDP-83, I looked at non Oppo universal players that did not have analog ports. I came upon and purchased the Sony UBP-X800. Sony also offered the UBP-X1000ES. Those models would be replaced by the X800M2 and 1100ES respectively.

The Sony UBP-X800 was an impressive machine with a great build and great audio and video presentation. While it lacked features of the best Oppo players, what I needed it to do, it did well over HDMI at a fraction of the cost of an Oppo.

But, time marches on and the X800 was aging and never supported Dolby Vision. I wanted Dolby Vision support as I replaced my Samsung LED TV with an LG OLED TV last year. I waited for some time as the picture was just so good with the old player on the new TV.

Just days ago, the X800M2 went on sale. I wanted the Top Gun:Maverick 4K disc and purchased it along with the Sony UBP-X800M2 for continued support of my SACD and DVD-AUDIO discs. The Reavon prices are exorbitant for what is essentially an Oppo knock off and I’m all about bang for buck these days. The Sony UBP-X800M2 cannot be touched at its price point.

There will be those that will spend anything for a machine that measures, in any fractional way, better than something else to say they got their hands on the best of the best. They are fools and from great amounts of their money shall they be parted.

The Sony UBP-X800M2 is not perfect but everything the UBP-X800 did well the M2 does better, surprisingly. Some things were added and others taken away but the M2 amazes at a price below three hundred bucks on sale. I’ll compare the two in another thread at some point.

As for the video presentation of the Top Gun: Maverick 4K disc on my Sony X800M2 and LG C1 77” TV, I am still in awe. It is hands down the finest image of any movie I’ve ever seen in my home surpassing the image I enjoyed from Spiderman: No Way Home on the X800 and also on the X800M2. I can’t say enough about it. It also had the best Dolby Atmos presentation I’ve ever heard from a movie disc. That’s saying a lot as I use Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization in a 5.1 configuration. I’m in for just over three hundred bucks on the player and movie and am absolutely shocked and thrilled with the upgrade over the UBP-X800. No Reavon needed here. Results will vary for others, of course.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I guess I must be seeing things and this from their entry level. Move up the chain and you get more analog inputs.

View attachment 61481

The point is Verdinut is that your just throwing out argument after argument with your mind already made up about a product we know very little about. That's why I asked the question. Remember that the Oppos were also very expensive, certainly more expensive than the Sony's and Panasonics but Oppo seemed more readily accepted then Reavon for some strange reason. Quite frankly there is not enough information out there yet about Reavon to reach any kind of conclusion. Stay open minded and let the facts come in first. Yes they are expensive but again, so was Oppo.
My opinion has nothing to do with open mindedness. Why are you so obsessed with analog connections? IMO, unless you have golden ears, there is no audible difference between DACs, and paying more for a product doesn't necessarily mean assurance that it performs better than a product which sells for less. The Sony Blu-ray players perform flawlessly and are an obvious example. My UBP-X800 performs just as well as my Oppo BDP-203 which was selling for a lot more.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Can this Blu-ray player now auto detect Dolby Vision?
Yes, but detecting it and outputting it are two very different things and the Sony players do things with it and HDR10 that some might object to altogether. Rather than continue the hijacking in this thread, I'll start one soon comparing my X800 to the X800M2.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Yes, but detecting it and outputting it are two very different things and the Sony players do things with it and HDR10 that some might object to altogether. Rather than continue the hijacking in this thread, I'll start one soon comparing my X800 to the X800M2.
Okay, I meant that non-DV discs should play as any other non-Sony Blu-ray player and same for DV. Automatically and not drilling into layers of menus in the player.

This is the main reason I still have my 1080p Oppo BDP-93EU, and I need SACD support as well. My Oppo won’t play sound of Deep Color is enabled in my LG OLED.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Okay, I meant that non-DV discs should play as any other non-Sony Blu-ray player and same for DV. Automatically and not drilling into layers of menus in the player.

This is the main reason I still have my 1080p Oppo BDP-93EU, and I need SACD support as well. My Oppo won’t play sound of Deep Color is enabled in my LG OLED.
I forgot what receiver you are using in your system. New receivers can compensate for this exact issue and Deep Color can be left on in TVs and a receiver can pass a signal that agrees with both the older player and new TV. It can be difficult to crack the code with different player, receiver and TV combos.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
I forgot what receiver you are using in your system. New receivers can compensate for this exact issue and Deep Color can be left on in TVs and a receiver can pass a signal that agrees with both the older player and new TV. It can be difficult to crack the code with different player, receiver and TV combos.
I’ve got an 2015 model Denon AVR-X4200W and went through its menus, but I’ll have a look again.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I think it predates the required settings unless a later firmware update added features.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
My opinion has nothing to do with open mindedness. Why are you so obsessed with analog connections? IMO, unless you have golden ears, there is no audible difference between DACs, and paying more for a product doesn't necessarily mean assurance that it performs better than a product which sells for less. The Sony Blu-ray players perform flawlessly and are an obvious example. My UBP-X800 performs just as well as my Oppo BDP-203 which was selling for a lot more.
I'm not obsessed with analog connections but its a nice feature to have since AVRs and preamps still come equipped with them. I never brought up sound quality either because that's just boils down to personal opinions and preferences at this point.I have the same model 4K player as you so I know how good a player it is. Despite that there are others who would like to remain in the analog domain (I dont care whether its good or bad..it just is) and see HDMI as troublesome. HDMI has proven that in some cases.

But getting back to Reavon, I wonder how good a player its is. I'm curious. I also dont take MonoBloc's opinion seriously judging from his beliefs in his past posts. There simply not enough info out there on them to make an informed decision.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I don’t think there are any Panasonic player that supports SACD that the OP plays for multichannel.
No, there has been a kind of war between Panasonic and Sony. That's the main reason why Panasonic build their players without the SACD feature.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
No, there has been a kind of war between Panasonic and Sony. That's the main reason why Panasonic build their players without the SACD feature.
I wonder if that is the smartest move on Panasonic's part not to include SACD in their package or does Sony hold the license for that technology which they do explains why Panny doesn't include it. Does Sony play DVD-A discs?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis