The Chukker

The Chukker

Full Audioholic
Down the road I would like to incorporate acoustic treatments like these in a dedicated theater. Unfortunately, my current set up (i.e. space) precludes using them. My wife and I have talked about buying a different house with a dedicated room for HT so the groundwork has been laid for the future.
Now to the question...
Can the RealTraps panels be painted (not cosmetically mind you, but rather mural/artistically) to match the decor/color in a room? I was thinking along the lines of really blending them in with the surrounding walls. If so, what kind of paint would be used that wouldn't affect the natural absorptive qualities of the panels?

ironlung

ironlung

Banned
The Chukker said:
Down the road I would like to incorporate acoustic treatments like these in a dedicated theater. Unfortunately, my current set up (i.e. space) precludes using them. My wife and I have talked about buying a different house with a dedicated room for HT so the groundwork has been laid for the future.
Now to the question...
Can the RealTraps panels be painted (not cosmetically mind you, but rather mural/artistically) to match the decor/color in a room? I was thinking along the lines of really blending them in with the surrounding walls. If so, what kind of paint would be used that wouldn't affect the natural absorptive qualities of the panels?

I'm just guessing but I bet you would be limited to dyes for the creative additions. Things like heavy oil paints may plug the holes in the fabric and make them less effective, or even worse make them reflective or resonant.

S

sploo

Full Audioholic
The Chukker said:
I have a feeling they can.

Give Ethan Winer (Realtraps co-owner) a PM. I'm pretty sure he's mentioned it, but I could be wrong.

He visits this site fairly often, so a PM should get a quick result.

R

ragged

Senior Audioholic
Did anyone watch the home theater special on DYI? They made their own absorbtion panel from solid fibreglass panel insulation and covered it with an open weave cloth. Really simple, effective and it looked great.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis