Buckle-meister

Audioholic Field Marshall
Background

It has been written that “The room is the first thing we start with and the last thing we think about.” [1] How true is that for the vast majority of us? And yet it is all the more surprising given that each person reading these words counts sound quality of fundamental importance to them.

When considering treating one's room with absorption, two routes are available:

• DIY absorption.
  • Commercially manufactured absorption.
A fellow Audioholics member took the DIY route, and in doing so provided me the invaluable opportunity to see, if not hear, the difference room treatment makes. By the project’s culmination, I knew that I too wanted a piece of the action, but was unsure whether to opt for the DIY route, or the more costly but potentially more effective alternative route of commercially manufactured absorption. Ultimately, my decision came down to not wanting to take the DIY route, finding myself amazed by the results, and then thinking “I wish I had just spent that bit more and got even better results with commercially manufactured absorption”. I chose the latter route.

RealTraps

I am not usually one to buy just ‘good enough’. When it comes to things I am serious about, I always buy the best I can afford. Regular visitors to the Room Acoustics, System Layout & Setup Forum at Audioholics will know Ethan Winer as someone who frequently yet selflessly gives demonstrably good advice to others. For this reason above any other, though after seeing some of the alternative products commercially available it’s little wonder, I decided that I’d buy either from RealTraps, Ethan’s company, or not at all. Ultimately, I did buy, and went with four white (traps are available in black, white or wheat) 2’ x 2’ MiniTraps, six stands and the Mondo Room Kit (also in white), which itself is comprised of four 4’ x 2’ MondoTraps, four 4’ x 2’ MiniTraps and three 4’ x 2’ MicroTraps.

After picking up the traps from the airport (they can be delivered direct to the door for an additional surcharge) and getting them home, the fun began! First impressions were good; the traps came in robust cardboard boxes and were internally spaced from sides and corners to prevent damage in transit.

Stands came with the requisite number of screws and each was assembled quickly and easily with eight, the procedure being intuitive. The four MondoTraps and two of the MicroTraps (the third MicroTrap envisaged hung from the ceiling) were then attached to their respective stands by a further four screws each. Multiple holes in the stands allow vertical adjustment of panels by up to 18”.

Setup

There really is no getting away from having to experiment with trap/speaker placement and listening position to obtain the optimal room response. Thankfully, with regard to traps, this is somewhat simplified by the fact that straddling wall/wall, wall/ceiling and wall/floor corners is known to achieve the greatest absorption, though door and/or window placement in many peoples’ rooms may make this impractical.

Take my own room for example. It has three full-height glass windows along one wall, a double-width door opening along the opposite, bare walls and wood-laminate flooring. In addition, the room is square in plan. Acoustically speaking, it’s the second worst shape there is!

Then there’s the aesthetic factor; the traps maybe attractive in their own right, but my own feeling was still to maximise placement behind the listening position because I felt that a greater proportion of two-channel sound would be absorbed by traps in its first pass by me. It also ensured most of the front wall remained non-distracting to the eye and more importantly; free to project upon.

On the recommendation of others, I used Acoustisoft’s acoustic measurement program ETF along with the (analogue) RadioShack SPL meter which sat atop a tripod placed at the listening position. This relatively easy to use program sends out a full-range frequency sweep, i.e. from 20Hz to 20kHz, over a five second period from, in my case, my front two towers (measuring was performed with the goal of achieving the best two-channel sound possible), and from the information received provides a comprehensive set of results.

After literally hundreds of measurements (which just might be related to my limited acoustic knowledge!), having incrementally moved the speakers back, forward, and sideways, toed-in and out, the couch drawn forwards and pushed backward, and every other speaker/couch/trap combination known to man, I finally settled for the following trap layout:

• The four MondoTraps placed in each of the room’s vertical corners (at 4” thick, MondoTraps are ¾” thicker than MiniTraps, hence absorb more and thus are best placed there).
  • The four 2’ x 2’ MinTraps placed above the MondoTraps.
  • One MicroTrap at the left tower’s side first-reflection position; the remaining two hung from both towers’ ceiling first-reflection positions.
  • Two 2’ x 4’ MiniTraps additionally placed at the room’s rear corners, with the remaining two lain horizontally along the rear wall.
Note that the front-right tower’s side first-reflection position was left untreated because I felt that with the double-width door opening occupying this spot, thereby allowing sound at least partially to escape out of the room, the ceiling could better benefit by hanging two MicroTraps there instead of one.

Measurements

The following plots are presented in untreated/treated room order, though actually they were obtained reverse to this; after obtaining the best results I could, the room was re-measured unchanged except for the removal of the traps, thereby ensuring untreated/treated plots were compatible.

1. Untreated/treated room impulse response plot.

By treating the floor’s first-reflection position with a rug and the side and ceiling first-reflection positions with MicroTraps, the spikes at approximately 5 and 8ms on the untreated room plot are seen to have been tamed and the response improved generally on the treated room plot. In physical terms, treating the first reflection positions has increased the proportion of direct sound reaching the ears, thereby improving clarity and better defining the soundstage.

2. Untreated/treated room low-frequency room response overlay.

3. Untreated/treated room low-frequency waterfall plot.

The overlay shows a significant reduction in the null at approximately 90Hz and smoothing of the response overall. This two-dimensional plot is effectively taken at time t=0; a snapshot if you will. By contrast, waterfall plots show how frequencies decay over time. Here, the traps may be seen to have helped in reducing the blade-like response to one much smoother.

Overall, more work is required in this region. I can’t help but feel that the relatively small size (4.2m square) and shape of my room make taming the low-frequency response more difficult than would perhaps be the case in a larger, non-square room. That said; by integrating my sub (crossed at 80Hz) with my towers, it should be possible to further improve upon the above frequency response due to the sub’s larger, more capable driver, and the far larger number of placement locations available to it.

4. Untreated and treated room full-range frequency response.

Here you can see the reduction in comb filtering the traps have made. Comb filtering results from the combining of direct sound and reflected sound, so reducing this will again cause an increase in clarity and soundstage definition to be realised.

Conclusions

So what about the all important questions; how does the music actually sound? And were the traps worth it?

Let me begin by saying that to date, I have owned three distinct separates hi-fi systems. For me, its sheer delight hearing at each upgrade ever greater detail from songs I thought I knew like the back of my hand, all the while knowing that the CD is still the same; I’m simply hearing more of what was always there.

All things considered, I believed my room sounded pretty good untreated. But I can honestly say that that was as nothing compared to the utterly captivating sound and unprecedented level of detail I now enjoy.

From Brenda Russell’s elegant Piano in the dark to The might of Rome from Gladiator, which never fails to raise the hair on the back of my neck. From The Lighthouse Family’s rich End of the day skipping along to Mark Knopfler’s crackling finish to Speedway at Nazareth from Sailing to Philadelphia, bass is wonderfully tight, cymbals are biting sharp and the front soundstage is incredibly well defined. For the first time in my life, I have made significant inroads at being able to hear the quality of sound radiating from my speakers, and let there be no doubt; it’s very, very good.

To me, RealTraps were worth every penny. I cannot recommend them highly enough.

Robert T Buckle

Last edited:
jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Excellent review! I hope to soon put some money into my system in the way of acoustical treatment, but my current living area does not have the room, nor does my budget allow for such an investment. I guess the only thing I can ask for is a set of pictures. So please, some pics!

Doug917

Doug917

Full Audioholic
Nice report Robert! I agree on needing some pics. I'm a visual kind of guy.

S

sploo

Full Audioholic
Rob,

Great article, and many thanks for the link to my work ;).

Your ETF results certainly show that you started with a better room than me (much less comb filtering). Though, as you've found, room treatment still makes a huge difference.

It's also interesting for me to read your results because you've bought the 'real stuff'. Certainly it looks like the RealTraps gear hits frequencies much lower than my DIY panels can touch.

Can I ask how much it all cost to get to the UK, and how much you got stung in duty and taxes?

Cheers,

Gordon.

Buckle-meister

sploo said:
Can I ask how much it all cost to get to the UK, and how much you got stung in duty and taxes?
Are you sitting down? :D

The total cost of the traps alone, i.e. without considering shipping etc. was $3299.89, or £1879.90 adopting a credit card exchange rate of 1.76 when in fact it was 1.8 at the time. VAT came to £394.83, Customs Clearance was £25.00, Airline Handling was £47.10, Freight was £417.82 and Advance of Duty Fee was £15.00.

In total, £2869.65, or $4993.19 using todays exchange rate of 1.74

I investigated the issue of duty for acoustic products with Customs and Excise, but for some strange reason, they couldn't find a match for the 10 digit code that identifies the product. Ultimately, duty did not have to be paid.

Expensive? Yes. But that wont stop me buying more in the future...

Regards

S

sploo

Full Audioholic
Excuse me while I poke my lungs back down my throat (after having coughed them up).

To be honest, I can't say I'm that surprised. I'd reckon my total DIY costs were roughly one tenth of that, though obviously for much more effort, and not quite the same quality.

Then again, compare that to the amount of money people spend on BS cables and other such nonsense. You know that makes a big difference, and you can prove it.

I'm planning to import some equipment from the US in the new year, and the cost of freight, duty, tax on the goods + freight and duty* is really scaring me...

* I just love the way UK Customs tax you on the product, tax you on the shipping, and then tax you on the tax they levy on both. Oh, and then charge you a fixed Customs charge for the privilege of charging you. Bunch of crooks if you ask me...

Buckle-meister

I agree, but if you can't change it, why worry about it? At the end of the day it's really no different from the tax you pay on your salary; in both cases, there's absolutely nothing you can do about it, so what's the point in getting worked up about it?

Besides, what's money for if not for spending? Who cares about the tax? If the money buys something that makes you happy/improves your quality of life, then it was money well spent. :)

Regards

W

W_Harding

Junior Audioholic
Good report including the plots. I really would like to see some pictures.

Buckle-meister

Thank you all. :)

Pictures will be forthcoming. However, I ask for your patience since there are other factors involved.

Regards

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

Eventually I plan on adding some RealTraps, too. They're a little spendy, but will probably make a bigger impact than the same money spent on electronics or new speakers.

That said, I think I'll get new speakers first.:eek: :p

Rip Van Woofer

Rip Van Woofer

Audioholic General
Excellent, informative and thorough review. Especially impressed that you took the trouble and expense to do measurements instead of winging it by ear. Also impressed that you noted comb filtering. In the typical domestic space comb filtering is especially harmful in that it colors the midrange of even the most neutral speakers - right where our ears are most sensitive. I have heard it in moving my speakers from our fairly large living room to my small and quite inadequate den.

Yes, you spent a lot of money but as "sploo" and Rob pointed out, in a much wiser and more productive way than the typical audiophool would. Well worth it!

Anyone curious about or considering room treatment/design, whether it be DIY or purchased, would do well to visit Ethan's site as Buckle attests. Lots of good info to go with the good products, and no B.S. I've gotten a lot of good insights from it that I'll apply to my room design.

The more I read on the subject of acoustics the more I think that the room and speakers are really a single system - the final performance relies equally on optimizing both...and everything else pales by comparison.

Checked out the pictures, too. Yes, those Missions are gorgeous! A short-lived upmarket home interiors store in the US called The Great Indoors carried them in their home theater dept.

Maybe you can confirm (or tell me I'm daft) something I've noticed: with each genuine upgrade I've made (i.e., better speakers or even rudimentary room improvements) the sound quality improvement is revealed as much or more in soft passages than loud - small details of attacks and decays seem to be more noticeable and contribute mightily to the realism. At least it seems to me.

Last edited:
jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
Buckle-meister said:
Besides, what's money for if not for spending? Who cares about the tax? If the money buys something that makes you happy/improves your quality of life, then it was money well spent. :)

Regards
See, see, I keep trying to tell my wife that. Buckle would call my wife and talk some sense into her:D

Buckle-meister

Rip Van Woofer said:
Maybe you can confirm (or tell me I'm daft) something I've noticed: with each genuine upgrade I've made (i.e., better speakers or even rudimentary room improvements) the sound quality improvement is revealed as much or more in soft passages than loud - small details of attacks and decays seem to be more noticeable and contribute mightily to the realism. At least it seems to me.
Nah. Just daft. ;)

To answer your question; I guess so. I'm not being coy here, and I don't mean to cop-out, but I think we naturally strain to hear when noise is quiet. For example, imagine someone was talking to you and suddenly spoke in hushed tones. You'd almost automatically lean forward to better hear what they were saying. With a quiet passage of music, you may not lean forward, but I suspect you still listen more attentively than during louder passages. Does this make sense?

For me, the The Microtraps made the most noticable improvement at first. As soon as they were put in place the front soundstage very noticably 'tightened' up, was much more focused. Listening to songs, I'd be looking at the air between the speakers and 'seeing' the singer or instrument...right...there. But after just a little more time to become accustomed to the newly presented music, sticking on material with a moderate, or especially heavy bass line really showed how much more improved the bass was than previously. Maybe it was the reduction in the null. Maybe it was the reduction in the decay times. Probably it was a combination of both. All I know is that there's no going back.

The only way is forward. :)

jeffsg4mac said:
...would call my wife and talk some sense into her...
Don't get me wrong; I firmly believe there's a place for saving. But saving's one thing. Hoarding's quite another. :)

Rip Van Woofer

Rip Van Woofer

Audioholic General
My little tangent about soft passages and your cogent reply might make for a thread of its own so I've continued the discussion in the General AV area.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
.....This is a review for AH?!?

So, if I do a good job on my DPS-12 review, they will post it also? :confused:

BTW, Good job Mr. Buckle! :)

SheepStar

M

moverton

Audioholic
costs

i would have like some discussion of the costs. did i miss something or was there no mention of price at all?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis