Question about Klipsch subwoofers

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
What’s the sound mode? Stereo, direct etc.

D

DJ in TX

Audioholic
I didn’t get back to troubleshooting last night, but intend to today. Once I reset the AVR to factory defaults and re-run the setup wizard it would have to resolve the issue.

However, my wife threw me a curveball last night and I’m not sure what to do. After seeing “the big black box” She says she didn’t realize how big the sub would be and she didn’t know I would put it right next to the entertainment center.

I’m sure I told her all of this but maybe I was unclear. Anyway now I have to adapt the plan. I can’t just run a really long rca cable because receiver is on a small stretch of corner wall by itself and has entry/halls on either side and can’t risk tripping over the cable and damaging something. My boys run around a lot and are not careful. So maybe I can put the sub behind my entertainment center, but I’m just not sure it will fit without pulling the ent center really far out. I may have to return the 12 and get the 10.

Any ideas on any of this?

G

Golfx

Full Audioholic
I didn’t get back to troubleshooting last night, but intend to today. Once I reset the AVR to factory defaults and re-run the setup wizard it would have to resolve the issue.

However, my wife threw me a curveball last night and I’m not sure what to do. After seeing “the big black box” She says she didn’t realize how big the sub would be and she didn’t know I would put it right next to the entertainment center.

I’m sure I told her all of this but maybe I was unclear. Anyway now I have to adapt the plan. I can’t just run a really long rca cable because receiver is on a small stretch of corner wall by itself and has entry/halls on either side and can’t risk tripping over the cable and damaging something. My boys run around a lot and are not careful. So maybe I can put the sub behind my entertainment center, but I’m just not sure it will fit without pulling the ent center really far out. I may have to return the 12 and get the 10.

Any ideas on any of this?
They get used to large subs after a short while. Ask her how she would make it more pleasing—perhaps putting a plant or decoration on it? I’m serious BTW.

D

DJ in TX

Audioholic
They get used to large subs after a short while. Ask her how she would make it more pleasing—perhaps putting a plant or decoration on it? I’m serious BTW.
I know you are serious and I appreciate the input. Personally I like the look of the sub, but I’ve always been an electronics/speaker hound. I personally feel like this Klipsch is a fine piece of furniture (not kidding). I love how it looks. BUT… the wife is not going to come around. Our living room is not very spacious and she does not like the box. So, I’m returning it. I may or may not find a solution here. The 10 inch may not work either. I’m going to take some measurements and see if it will go behind our corner ent center. If not I will have to see if there is a slim sub that is both good enough and in budget. This stinks. I was really excited.

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) strikes again! My only suggestion would be to do the Sub-woofer crawl to find the next best (acceptable?) location. If the Sub RCA cable is an issue look into a wireless adapter.

I had to do that for the Family Room Klipsch Sub after the Great Reno of 2018! It works great (for the limited use it gets.)

I hope this is helpful.

D

DJ in TX

Audioholic
depending on your budget here are two suggestions. Don’t know if you own your house for in wall subs.
The svs is extremely beyond budget, and I’m not interested in having a wall install done either.
As for the Jamo, it is interestingly thin and a good price. I have no knowledge of its performance. I know that slim subs have a much harder time creating bass with so little room for excursion. I guess I can read some reviews.

D

DJ in TX

Audioholic
WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) strikes again! My only suggestion would be to do the Sub-woofer crawl to find the next best (acceptable?) location. If the Sub RCA cable is an issue look into a wireless adapter.

I had to do that for the Family Room Klipsch Sub after the Great Reno of 2018! It works great (for the limited use it gets.)

I hope this is helpful.
So no issues with wireless lag? My bookshelves are hard wired. I would be very annoyed if the sub was out of sync with the bookshelves.

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
So no issues with wireless lag? My bookshelves are hard wired. I would be very annoyed if the sub was out of sync with the bookshelves.
As @Golfx said, the AVR compensates during setup for the extra delay.

Yes, you'd have to set it up again after installing the wireless adapter.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I know everyone has to handle WAF differently, and personally I think it’s stoopid. But I digress… in my house things like this get talked about and compromised on. If it’s important to me, then it’s a conversation and I pay the mortgage too. That means I get a say. I don’t get to do whatever I want, and neither does she. We talk and vote. It’s the most fair.
If the subwoofer matters, you’ll work it out. If not, she’ll probably get used to it. lol!!!!!

D

DJ in TX

Audioholic
I took some measurements of the smaller Klipsch 10 inch sub and I think I can squeeze it behind my ent center and still have enough space for the port to clear 6-8 inches for breath ability. It’s good to know though that the AVR can compensate for wireless lag.
On the topic of a standard depth sub vs a thin mount sub, the thin enclosure will produce noticeably less bass, correct?
Also let me pose this question… what are the pros and cons of placing the subwoofer either near my entertainment center (right next to it or right behind) compared to placing it further away near the rear of the room? I know you can’t predict the future, nor are you familiar with the layout of my room, but is one generally thought of as better placement than the other or doesn’t matter much due to bass being omnidirectional?

Last edited:
D

DJ in TX

Audioholic
I know everyone has to handle WAF differently, and personally I think it’s stoopid. But I digress… in my house things like this get talked about and compromised on. If it’s important to me, then it’s a conversation and I pay the mortgage too. That means I get a say. I don’t get to do whatever I want, and neither does she. We talk and vote. It’s the most fair.
If the subwoofer matters, you’ll work it out. If not, she’ll probably get used to it. lol!!!!!
I’m on the fence with WAF, I certainly wish my wife was more tolerant on these things or more engaged, but she just doesn’t share my love of music. With that said she is on board with a purchase but under certain conditions. So, it could be better and could be worse.

G

Golfx

Full Audioholic
I took some measurements of the smaller Klipsch 10 inch sub and I think I can squeeze it behind my ent center and still have enough space for the port to clear 6-8 inches for breath ability. It’s good to know though that the AVR can compensate for wireless lag.
On the topic of a standard depth sub vs a thin mount sub, the thin enclosure will produce noticeably less bass, correct?
Also let me pose this question… what are the pros and cons of placing the subwoofer either near my entertainment center (right next to it or right behind) compared to placing it further away near the rear of the room? I know you can’t predict the future, nor are you familiar with the layout of my room, but is one generally thought of as better placement than the other or doesn’t matter much due to bass being omnidirectional?
thin or even smaller box the woofer is in means less bass. Like u said we can not predict your room. Behind entertainment center would also work. But because you brought up the concept of wireless, why not involve your wife in a two or three choice discussion that doesn‘t involve you losing your sub. “Honey where else can we place the sub? Is here good or maybe here or here?” If they are involved in the problem solving, it could work.

D

DJ in TX

Audioholic
thin or even smaller box the woofer is in means less bass. Like u said we can not predict your room. Behind entertainment center would also work. But because you brought up the concept of wireless, why not involve your wife in a two or three choice discussion that doesn‘t involve you losing your sub. “Honey where else can we place the sub? Is here good or maybe here or here?” If they are involved in the problem solving, it could work.
Yes we already had that talk. She isn’t saying no, she’s saying she does not like how big the 12 inch sub is in general and she doesn’t like it out in plain sight. So our compromise is me getting the 10 inch sub and either hiding it behind the ent center(which I do think it will fit) and/or getting a wireless transmitter for it and tucking it in the back corner of the room next to the couch where it is out of view.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Do you have room to get some larger main speakers and get more bass that way? It would not be the same as a good sub, but I wonder if that would be an alternative for you (both! ha). Or possibly a 10" sub combined with larger mains.

D

DJ in TX

Audioholic
Do you have room to get some larger main speakers and get more bass that way? It would not be the same as a good sub, but I wonder if that would be an alternative for you (both! ha). Or possibly a 10" sub combined with larger mains.
No, I don’t have any additional space, but it’s ok, I’m very happy with my atoms. And I ordered my 10 inch Klipsch sub today. Best deal was on Amazon/Adorama ($179) but won’t deliver until Friday. So will have to wait a bit. I think it will be a great addition, can’t wait.

Does anyone have any advice on after market wireless dongles for subwoofers?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Not sure what you mean by dongle, as that's not necessarily what's required. For a wireless sub (or speaker) you need a transmitter from the pre-out on the pre-amp/avr as well as a receiver at the other end that can connect with the sub's amp (and/or an amp for passive types). Rocketfish I think might have a basic unit for not too much but the wireless subs I have (Infinity models of some years back) they came complete and the receiver is buried in the sub, so not a component type thing).

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
The system I referenced has a Klipsch WA-2 Wireless Kit that plugged right into the Sub, and was powered by the Sub. For the receiver end- The Transmitter end had an adapter you plugged into the wall.

I know Rocketfish had a Kit as I've got one stored somewhere around here that I got cheap ages ago. I don't think it's still sold - but I could be wrong.

Here's an inexpensive one => BIC AMERICA Add-on W-Receiver for Wireless Subwoofers , but SVS has a SoundPath Kit, and KEF make one, as does Martin Logan.

G

Golfx

Full Audioholic
No, I don’t have any additional space, but it’s ok, I’m very happy with my atoms. And I ordered my 10 inch Klipsch sub today. Best deal was on Amazon/Adorama ($179) but won’t deliver until Friday. So will have to wait a bit. I think it will be a great addition, can’t wait.

Does anyone have any advice on after market wireless dongles for subwoofers?
SVS sells wireless sub kits. https://www.svsound.com/products/soundpath-wireless-audio-adapter?g_adtype=search&g_adid=266902094635&g_keywordid=aud-1053056179112:kwd-437590773049&g_acctid=919-192-0664&g_keyword=soundpath wireless audio adapter&g_campaignid=760424595&g_campaign=Brand+New+-+Products&g_network=g&g_adgroupid=55199648300&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwhtWvBhD9ARIsAOP0GogSVSEFSeiMkG4wurV4NB5aEiwlhpvfZQPGPcYKHPaBsaHMm5vdZ_MaAqNYEALw_wcB

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis