R

Retardking

Audiophyte
Hey guys,
I have a question about DVI. Is it a necessary for a TV to have this input capability? If so, what devices use it? The TV's I've been looking into lack it, and I want to know if it's a big deal or not. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
DVI is HDMI without the audio.

Most new TVs will have HDMI instead of DVI.

DVI is not at all necessary. It is almost necessary to have *either* DVI *or* HDMI. If the TV has DVI but not HDMI, make sure the DVI port is HDCP compatible. HDMI is automatically HDCP compatible.

R

Retardking

Audiophyte
Thanks for the ino Jonnythan! My path to a new display is clearer now.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Taking it a half step further... DVI is most often used by the computer industry. It pushed into video for a little while, but DVI was pretty much passed up by HDMI for video.

I would call HDMI on a new TV an absolute must.

If you want to connect a PC to your display, then you want either DVI or a VGA connector. But, there are ways to get the PC to work over HDMI or component video as well (with the right PC). So, HDMI is the key to your display.

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
BMXTRIX said:
Taking it a half step further... DVI is most often used by the computer industry. It pushed into video for a little while, but DVI was pretty much passed up by HDMI for video.

I would call HDMI on a new TV an absolute must.

If you want to connect a PC to your display, then you want either DVI or a VGA connector. But, there are ways to get the PC to work over HDMI or component video as well (with the right PC). So, HDMI is the key to your display.
But HDMI *is* DVI. It's DVI with a new connector. You can plug a DVI-out directly into an HDMI-in, or plug an HDMI-out into a DVI-in. The only concern is whether your DVI input is HDCP compatible.

There is *no* difference between a TV with an HDMI input and a TV with an HDCP-compatible DVI input except for HDMI carrying audio as well.

You can plug your DVI-out video card into an HDMI port on a TV. It really doesn't matter whether the TV has HDMI or DVI w/HDCP.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I believe that all HDMI accepts up to 10 bit color while DVI has a limitation of 8 bit color. There are other differences as well. While the two are compatible, it is not accurate to say that they are identical. Likewise, HDMI 1.3 takes things further with expanded 12-bit deep color and additional characteristics and bandwidth possibilities that DVI is not current equipped for.

It is also important to note that inputs on televisions may not be setup for PC input using standard VESA resolutions like XGA. Instead, they may only support ATSC/NTSC resolutions which may force someone to tweak their PC's resolution to one of those standards - more complex then some may wish to deal with.

While they are close, it is inaccurate to say that the two are identical on their ability to carry video. They are just very close and typically compatible.

Of course, DVI may or may not be HDCP compliant, while HDMI always must be.

Also, DVI-I includes the ability to carry analog video, which HDMI is incapable of doing.

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
HDMI 1.3 supports color spaces over 24-bit. HDMI 1.2 and DVI both support a maximum of 24-bit color.

AFAIK, no TVs currently ship with HDMI 1.3, though I may be wrong about that.

It's *not an issue* for choosing a TV. DVI w/HDCP or HDMI are going to be effectively identical on any TV. Not that many TVs include DVI anymore, but some do.

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
I have a DVI between my cable box and TV (that was the only choice at the time) and HDTV looks spectacular. That being said, DVI is on the way out and HDMI is the future and as a consequence I would only buy equipment with HDMI at this point.

Nick

J

Jedi2016

Full Audioholic
Nick250 said:
..I would only buy equipment with HDMI at this point.

Nick
Unless you can find something with both. My TV has only one HDMI port, but it also has two DVI ports. Which essentially means I can connect three HDMI devices to my TV. FTW.

R

Retardking

Audiophyte
Thanks again folks for the info.

HDMI inputs were already a "must" with any TV I purchase. I just wasn't up to snuff with DVI. I have no intentions of connecting my computer to the TV, so not having DVI should be okay for me.

So am I right then to assume that you can run video through HDMI and then seperately the audio out from the optical or coax output from a HDDVD, BluRay, or upconverting DVD player? The reason I ask is my receiver is HDMI-less (Yamaha RX-V 650) and I'd like to not have to shell out another chunk of money for an HDMI capable receiver right now!

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
Yes, that is correct. Most people do it that way.

For example, in my setup, I run an optical audio cable from my Oppo DVD player to my Denon receiver for audio only, and an HDMI cable from the DVD player to my TV for video only.

Somewhat amusingly, the Oppo 971 only has DVI out. Fortunately, DVI out is 100% compatible with HDMI in, so there's no issue there. Obviously you can plug it into a DVI port as well.

R

Retardking

Audiophyte
Excellent! That's kind of the set-up that I was looking to do, with the 971 or maybe the 981, not sure yet. Thanks again for your help, Johnnythan.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis