Quality Speaker for <$2k

K

Kpt_Krunch

Enthusiast
See, and I thought the complete opposite. Female vocals, jazz, outstanding IMO. That is why speakers are so individual.

Plus the OP can ask for a demonstration over on the AV123 forum. Some will be glad to have him over for a listen.
Yep, it was in a non-treated room and it didn't work well there. But you're right - it is very individual, no matter what we say about anything, the best speakers are the ones the OP likes, not us :)

Unless, of course, it's BOSE..... :eek:

F

fredk

Audioholic General
mizuno. This site might help you a little in narrowing the field. It gives anechoic measurements of a lot of different speakers and is a true independant measure of how well speakers will perform. A number of the speakers mentioned here, including the Paradigm studios, Axiom M80s and Strata minis are there.

The measurements pages are linked back to an explanation of what the measurements are and why they are important.

M

mizuno

Enthusiast
KPT,

Thanks for the response. Impressive picture by the way :)

In terms of the RC-70 does the bass concern go away when you use the port plug or use a received with auto eq solutions?

Have you ever heard the spendor 5se?

G

GZA

Junior Audioholic
so it sounds like the RC-70 have lots of bass. good im a bass head i well have to buy a pair of these because i hate subs

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Hi,

I've decided to finally buy myself a good sound/home theater system but not go crazy on 65% music, 35% movies. In terms of speakers, I'm set to get good quality/value floorstanding L/R speakers but not spend more than $2k/pair. I plan to build my surround system from there.

The L/R speakers on my shortlist are:

1. Energy RC-70 ($1400/pair)
2. Paradigm Studio 60 ($2k/ pair)
3. Paradigm monitor 7,9,11 (<$1100/pair) (not sure which of them is best value)
4. Dali Ikon 6 ($1700/pair)
5. PSB Image T65 or t55

My conclusions so far:

1. Energy RC-70 : Classic look, crisp sound, amazing soundstaging/3D for the price, natural sound, but a light on the High frequencies and a bit bass-heavy. Great value add-ons (s12, center channel and surrounds). But the demo room was of poor quality, small, and no port plug to attenuate one of the woofers. I demoed these against Klispsh RF-63 (better detail but harsher and frontstaging. poor 3d) I want to like the RC-70 but in doubt. Any dealer with solid demo room in sf bay area? Raise your arm!

2. Studio 60: great sound, very crisp and clear (demoed in perfect conditions). Warm and musical. but very big (deep floorstander, giant center channel, price add-ons for surround set-up. would build surround system with studio 20.

3. Monitor 7 V6 (I didnt try the 9 or 11): good sound, solid bass but not overpowering, bit harsh on the high freq. good price. Solid contender, but a step down from the studio 60s. are 9 and 11 way better?

4. Dali Ikon 6. I tried them against the Quad 22L2. The Quad22l2 were very warm on the bass. Too warm. The Ikon 6 were very delicate on the high end, light in the bass. Didn;t get the 3d/ staging I was hoping for. the speaker I should have liked (according to all the audiophiles I spoke with) yet it didn't win me over...yet. Needs bass support.

5. I haven't tried the PSB Imagines yet. Not easy to find a dealer near SF with a good demo room and with t65 or t55.

Any advice? More specifically:

1. Any input on the quality/ value of the RC-70 under good listening conditions? (please indicate your amp/ receiver)?
2. What is the best (value) monitor model?
3. How would you rate the speakers above and where would the PSB Images fit in?
4. Am i missing a winner?

Thanks !!!

JF

FOr that kind of scratch I suggest the PSB Synchrony series speakers. They been getting nothing but rave reviews from ALL the audio hardware mags/rags out there. So far no reviews have been done on PSB's new Imagine series, not to be confused with their existing Image series. The Image series are a good solid speaker for the money but are outclassed by Paradigms Studio series. Its the new Synchronioy speakers now that hold top rung in this price class from what I've read.

Midcow2

Midcow2

Banned
May I ask a question 'Why do you hate subs?'

so it sounds like the RC-70 have lots of bass. good im a bass head i well have to buy a pair of these because i hate subs
Just curious , May I ask a question 'Why do you hate subs?'

A "good" sub at proper placement and proper level adds a whole other dimension to HT systems?

But to each his own.

There are a lot of fornt towers that either have a separate built-in bass amplifier or have one or mare speakers that can handle the lower bass notes.

The RC-70 only has two 6.5 inch Kelvar speakers for the bass sounds. Normally 6.5 inch is not large enough to get the full bass of lower notes, but as one reviewer said they produce 'voluptuous midrange and full, rounded bass'

Being rated down to 31 Hz is pretty good though!

Recommended Amplifier Power: up to 250 watts RMS
Impedance: 8 ohms nominal
Minimum Impedance: 4 ohm
Frequency response: 31 Hz-23 kHz +/- 3dB
Usable Bass Response: -10 dB Anechoic @ 26 Hz
Anechoic Sensitivity: 92 dB; 2 speakers in a typical room: 95 dB
Crossover Points: 600Hz, 2.4kHz
Dimensions: 39-7/8" high, 7-3/4" wide, 15" deep

very nice efficiency of 92 dB; you should be abl to eeasily drive loud with most AVrs rated at 100 rms per channel or better

And at $602.97 each plus $148.74 shipping looks like a very good speaker.
http://www.keenzo.com/showproduct.asp?M=ENERGY-SPEAKER-SYSTEMS&ID=3443946&ref=GB

Good Luck!

MidCow2

Last edited by a moderator:
F

fredk

Audioholic General
FOr that kind of scratch I suggest the PSB Synchrony series speakers.
The Synchrony floorstanders are 4-5K from what I understand. That puts them well ouside the OPs range. The do get exellent reviews though.

G

GZA

Junior Audioholic
my main use for my system is music. lots of hip hop and the subs i have had just could not keep up with the different types of bass, some songs sound amazing then other songs make the sub sound like it was gonna pop. i also listen to my music extremely loud and and i have the turn the sub up really high to hear and feel it. i had a 5.1 system but im replacing it right now. all i have for the new system is 1 pair of tower speakers and in the next weeks i want to buy a second pair. im thinkin about the rc 70 if they have good bass. right now the 2 pairs would just be hooked up to a stereo reciver until i have all the speakers to add to the new receiver i want to buy. but as i said i watch 2 movies a week at the most and 30 cds a week so it make more since for me to build my system around stereo equipment

the last sub i hate was a 10 inch polk audio, it was one of the higher models they have and i spent lots on it. i ended up sellin it to a buddie so i could buy some new floorstandings

Last edited:
A

allargon

Audioholic General
my main use for my system is music. lots of hip hop and the subs i have had just could not keep up with the different types of bass, some songs sound amazing then other songs make the sub sound like it was gonna pop. i also listen to my music extremely loud and and i have the turn the sub up really high to hear and feel it. i had a 5.1 system but im replacing it right now. all i have for the new system is 1 pair of tower speakers and in the next weeks i want to buy a second pair. im thinkin about the rc 70 if they have good bass. right now the 2 pairs would just be hooked up to a stereo reciver until i have all the speakers to add to the new receiver i want to buy. but as i said i watch 2 movies a week at the most and 30 cds a week so it make more since for me to build my system around stereo equipment

the last sub i hate was a 10 inch polk audio, it was one of the higher models they have and i spent lots on it. i ended up sellin it to a buddie so i could buy some new floorstandings
Hopefully no one here will fault you for lack of money or knowledge. A 10-inch sub doesn't sound like a lot for any decent sized room. You might consider building a 15 or 18-inch sub (box or even tube) to get you that tight not so boomy (I know some hip hop bass is purposefully distortiony/boomy on purpose) bass.

F

flippo

Full Audioholic
Mirage

You can get the Mirage OMD 15 on sale for 460$ each down from 1249 each.
They have great soundstage and are excellent for the type of music you like.
Check out vann's or Crutchfield.

G

GZA

Junior Audioholic
Hopefully no one here will fault you for lack of money or knowledge. A 10-inch sub doesn't sound like a lot for any decent sized room. You might consider building a 15 or 18-inch sub (box or even tube) to get you that tight not so boomy (I know some hip hop bass is purposefully distortiony/boomy on purpose) bass.
well my room was very small. 9x10 at the most. its just a bedroom where i have all my audio stuff

K

Kpt_Krunch

Enthusiast
KPT,

Thanks for the response. Impressive picture by the way :)

In terms of the RC-70 does the bass concern go away when you use the port plug or use a received with auto eq solutions?

Have you ever heard the spendor 5se?
Thanks Mizuno. I tried the port plugs but my speakers are quite a distance from the wall so it actually made them sound worse, not better. It does tighten up the bass, but I find it affects the midrange a bit negatively as well. Not a huge difference, and hard to put in words, it just sounded like a smaller speaker.

As for the bass concerns, I don't want to give the impression the bass is horrible. It's a bit muddied, a bit boomy, yes. But it's a lot better than other speakers I've heard in floor standing models. The Totem Hawk uses a much more expensive driver, and the Veritas is a completely different technology. Both are in smaller cabinets as well.

Sorry, I've never heard teh Spender 5se.

I really enjoy the depth of the sound field the RC-70's display. I also like the fact you can listen for hours with zero fatique. The bass 'issue' and slightly 'recessed' highs do detract, but it's not a $5000 speaker so it won't be perfect. No speaker will be in that price range.

I do like them, but so many speakers, so little time :)

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks Mizuno. I tried the port plugs but my speakers are quite a distance from the wall so it actually made them sound worse, not better. It does tighten up the bass, but I find it affects the midrange a bit negatively as well. Not a huge difference, and hard to put in words, it just sounded like a smaller speaker.

As for the bass concerns, I don't want to give the impression the bass is horrible. It's a bit muddied, a bit boomy, yes. But it's a lot better than other speakers I've heard in floor standing models. The Totem Hawk uses a much more expensive driver, and the Veritas is a completely different technology. Both are in smaller cabinets as well.

Sorry, I've never heard teh Spender 5se.

I really enjoy the depth of the sound field the RC-70's display. I also like the fact you can listen for hours with zero fatique. The bass 'issue' and slightly 'recessed' highs do detract, but it's not a $5000 speaker so it won't be perfect. No speaker will be in that price range.

I do like them, but so many speakers, so little time :)
Hey K_K nice family portrait;)! To the OP I've recently used the port plugs on my 30's and although it helped with tightening up the overall sound, I'm not totally sold yet!

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
The Synchrony floorstanders are 4-5K from what I understand. That puts them well ouside the OPs range. The do get exellent reviews though.
OOps, of by a couple of Gs.. :eek: Well I just read a review of PSB's new Imagine series and they are $2000.00 and have received a glwoing review.

M

mizuno

Enthusiast
and the search continues

Next set of testing...

Ok, what I was hoping would turn into a quick narrowing down of options is actually turning into the exact opposite. More auditioning, new choices, new wows. And a budget that is slightly cringing up...

I tested the Spendor 5Se and 8Se. I started with the 8Se and I only have one word. Amazing. These speakers sounded truly a level better than all my other tests so far. Musical, nice high, enveloping, invisible. I was very impressed by this 2-way speaker. The dealer mentioned a pricepoint of $4600/pair but I noticed that on some reviews sites they were listed as sub $3k. I'm digging into this one now and will try to assess the cost of a home theater system built around it.

I then followed up with the Spendor 5Se. Unlike with wines at a dinner, where you start with the best, so that when you get to the lesser wines the inhibriation allows some wine weaknesses to become acceptable or unnoticed, for Speaker going from amazing to good is a harsh landing. The Spendor 5se are good in their own right but only a fraction of the sound of the 8Se. More boxy, higher pitched, present...I can't go back. Despite developing a nice full sound on some tracks the difference was too great to keep them on my list.

I then retransitioned to the Dali Ikon 6. I was first of all surprised that it was larger than even the Spendor 8se. The sound was again more enveloping and vibrant. With lots of detail. Sounded a bit forward with the ribbon tweeter but it also gave a much fuller sound than the 5Se. If my budget would remain to sub $2k I felt like a compromise I could live with despite having sampled the 8Se.

I then turned to the paradigm studi0 100 having been impressed earlier by the 60. I placed my hopes on this speaker. Unfortunately was disappointed. Where the 8Se and sometimes the dali ikon felt invisible. The bass of the 100 felt to visible for me and directed my attention to the lower half of the 100, an unnatural position and not reflective of the real soundstage. The 100 is a pass. I may check the 60's again.

Yet my quest to find the sound similar to the 8Se at a slightly lowe rprice point is launched. Reviewing some of the 8Se reviews, my attention was drawn to the VA Mozart Grand. I will test it next.

Here's the list as it stands.

1. Paradigm studio 60 (but am less and less inclined)
2. Dali ikon 6 (back in the running, probably #1 on my list at this time)
3. Energy rc-70 (the one I would still like to love but am in search of better listening conditions to convince my wife that the bass was extreme when we first listened to it because of the room conditions)
4. vandersteen 2ce (based on this blog..am concerned about sensitivity and requirement for the amps)
5. monitor audio rs-6 (or 8?) (not tested yet)
6. PSB Imagine (with T65 or T55) (not tested yet, great reviews but a bit concerned by spectrum charts and feedback).
7. Spendor 8se (am in love, but she wants a ring that is too expensive)
8. Totem Hawk (not tested yet)
9. Vienne accoustics Mozart Grand (not tested yet)

Will keep you posted

F

fredk

Audioholic General
Nice post Minuzo. I am glad I never listened to speakers outside my budget! I was worried I would be in the position you are now in. ;)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis