Quality Speaker for <$2k

M

mizuno

Enthusiast
Hi,

I've decided to finally buy myself a good sound/home theater system but not go crazy on 65% music, 35% movies. In terms of speakers, I'm set to get good quality/value floorstanding L/R speakers but not spend more than $2k/pair. I plan to build my surround system from there.

The L/R speakers on my shortlist are:

1. Energy RC-70 ($1400/pair)
2. Paradigm Studio 60 ($2k/ pair)
3. Paradigm monitor 7,9,11 (<$1100/pair) (not sure which of them is best value)
4. Dali Ikon 6 ($1700/pair)
5. PSB Image T65 or t55

My conclusions so far:

1. Energy RC-70 : Classic look, crisp sound, amazing soundstaging/3D for the price, natural sound, but a light on the High frequencies and a bit bass-heavy. Great value add-ons (s12, center channel and surrounds). But the demo room was of poor quality, small, and no port plug to attenuate one of the woofers. I demoed these against Klispsh RF-63 (better detail but harsher and frontstaging. poor 3d) I want to like the RC-70 but in doubt. Any dealer with solid demo room in sf bay area? Raise your arm!

2. Studio 60: great sound, very crisp and clear (demoed in perfect conditions). Warm and musical. but very big (deep floorstander, giant center channel, price add-ons for surround set-up. would build surround system with studio 20.

3. Monitor 7 V6 (I didnt try the 9 or 11): good sound, solid bass but not overpowering, bit harsh on the high freq. good price. Solid contender, but a step down from the studio 60s. are 9 and 11 way better?

4. Dali Ikon 6. I tried them against the Quad 22L2. The Quad22l2 were very warm on the bass. Too warm. The Ikon 6 were very delicate on the high end, light in the bass. Didn;t get the 3d/ staging I was hoping for. the speaker I should have liked (according to all the audiophiles I spoke with) yet it didn't win me over...yet. Needs bass support.

5. I haven't tried the PSB Imagines yet. Not easy to find a dealer near SF with a good demo room and with t65 or t55.

Any advice? More specifically:

1. Any input on the quality/ value of the RC-70 under good listening conditions? (please indicate your amp/ receiver)?
2. What is the best (value) monitor model?
3. How would you rate the speakers above and where would the PSB Images fit in?
4. Am i missing a winner?

Thanks !!!

JF

Chopin_Guy

Chopin_Guy

Senior Audioholic
Mizuno,

Welcome to the forum!!! While I cannot offer you alot of help in the ranking of these speakers or provide any personal experience with them---you are certainly doing the right thing by getting out there and listening for yourself. Ultimately this is the most important thing, and you ears will tell you what they like...anything else someone might tell you here is just another subjective opinion on what their ears heard. So, with less prose involved....go with what your ears like the most. At the same time, do know that most stores demo rooms are not well set-up and the speakers will mostly likely sound different in your space given what your room's acoustics characteristics are...

All of that aside, I would suggest that you check out SVS's new MTS line of speakers as well....Unfortunately you cannot hear them in person, but they have received very high marks as well---both the floorstanders and the monitors. You might also want to give Dynaudio a shot, as their entry two lines do not carry the stratospheric price that the higher-end models do...those are the Audience and Focus. Their monitors are supposed to be top notch as well...Everything else you have looked are all good companies and things I would have suggested...

Hope this helps you in your hunt!!!

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Mizuno,

Welcome to the forum!!! While I cannot offer you alot of help in the ranking of these speakers or provide any personal experience with them---you are certainly doing the right thing by getting out there and listening for yourself. Ultimately this is the most important thing, and you ears will tell you what they like...anything else someone might tell you here is just another subjective opinion on what their ears heard. So, with less prose involved....go with what your ears like the most. At the same time, do know that most stores demo rooms are not well set-up and the speakers will mostly likely sound different in your space given what your room's acoustics characteristics are...

All of that aside, I would suggest that you check out SVS's new MTS line of speakers as well....Unfortunately you cannot hear them in person, but they have received very high marks as well---both the floorstanders and the monitors. You might also want to give Dynaudio a shot, as their entry two lines do not carry the stratospheric price that the higher-end models do...those are the Audience and Focus. Their monitors are supposed to be top notch as well...Everything else you have looked are all good companies and things I would have suggested...

Hope this helps you in your hunt!!!
The Audience series is disco'd, so whatever stock is available is it. They have been replaced by the Excite series, which are new designs and rated at 6 ohms, so amps/receivers that don't like difficult loads will be happy. Basically similar models to the Audience series, with the omission of the equivalent to the 62.

http://www.dynaudio.com/eng/systems/lines/lines/excite.php

M

mizuno

Enthusiast
Any perspective on the totem hawk

Thank you for the rapid responses. Wow. Great forum.:)

I forgot to mention that I'm particularly fond of chamber music, jazz, cello solos,... I don't know if this would affect your recommendation. I heard that the Totem Hawk are particularly good for this type of music.

G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
Thank you for the rapid responses. Wow. Great forum.:)

I forgot to mention that I'm particularly fond of chamber music, jazz, cello solos,... I don't know if this would affect your recommendation. I heard that the Totem Hawk are particularly good for this type of music.
The Totem Hawk is all about jazz so that would be a good choice as well. Here is also a good deal on the Forest which are a speaker above the Hawk.

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrfull&1230937296&/Totem-Forest-Maple-/-2-weeks-o

R

rded

Audioholic
Where have you Dynaudio supporters been? It seems like I've been the only Dyn advocate here for a while:D Anyhow, Definitely look into the the focus 220 series and you will quickly find that no other speaker will touch it in its price range except for the X36 which is a different story:D

Did you guys know that there is a DYNAUDIO FOCUS 360? Its a 3 way floorstander with esotar 2 tweeter-very nice. I audiotioned the prototype at my dealer here in Illinois.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I'll have a pair of original Paradigm Studio/100v1s available soon for less than $800. Where are you located?

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Hi,

I've decided to finally buy myself a good sound/home theater system but not go crazy on 65% music, 35% movies. In terms of speakers, I'm set to get good quality/value floorstanding L/R speakers but not spend more than $2k/pair. I plan to build my surround system from there.

The L/R speakers on my shortlist are:

1. Energy RC-70 ($1400/pair)
2. Paradigm Studio 60 ($2k/ pair)
3. Paradigm monitor 7,9,11 (<$1100/pair) (not sure which of them is best value)
4. Dali Ikon 6 ($1700/pair)
5. PSB Image T65 or t55

My conclusions so far:

1. Energy RC-70 : Classic look, crisp sound, amazing soundstaging/3D for the price, natural sound, but a light on the High frequencies and a bit bass-heavy. Great value add-ons (s12, center channel and surrounds). But the demo room was of poor quality, small, and no port plug to attenuate one of the woofers. I demoed these against Klispsh RF-63 (better detail but harsher and frontstaging. poor 3d) I want to like the RC-70 but in doubt. Any dealer with solid demo room in sf bay area? Raise your arm!
Did you try the RC-50's or RC-30's? Sometimes less is more...you might prefer the smaller speaker.

2. Studio 60: great sound, very crisp and clear (demoed in perfect conditions). Warm and musical. but very big (deep floorstander, giant center channel, price add-ons for surround set-up. would build surround system with studio 20.
The studio series has many fans. Five Studio 20' and spend the rest of your money on a great sub or two is a great way to go in my opinion.

3. Monitor 7 V6 (I didnt try the 9 or 11): good sound, solid bass but not overpowering, bit harsh on the high freq. good price. Solid contender, but a step down from the studio 60s. are 9 and 11 way better?
No, I found them worse because the cabinet is bigger and more resonate. The only way I would buy the monitor series Is in bookshelf form if money was tight.

4. Dali Ikon 6. I tried them against the Quad 22L2. The Quad22l2 were very warm on the bass. Too warm. The Ikon 6 were very delicate on the high end, light in the bass. Didn;t get the 3d/ staging I was hoping for. the speaker I should have liked (according to all the audiophiles I spoke with) yet it didn't win me over...yet. Needs bass support.

5. I haven't tried the PSB Imagines yet. Not easy to find a dealer near SF with a good demo room and with t65 or t55.
Can't help since I have not heard these.

Any advice? More specifically:

1. Any input on the quality/ value of the RC-70 under good listening conditions? (please indicate your amp/ receiver)?
2. What is the best (value) monitor model?
3. How would you rate the speakers above and where would the PSB Images fit in?
4. Am i missing a winner?

Thanks !!!

JF
The real issue is your room. As you already know by the auditioning process that the room changes how a speaker sounds. Most around this forum suspect that the room is approximately 50% of what we hear. So the only way to know if you will be happy with the sound is to take them home and play with the positioning...get to know them so to speak. Finding a dealer who will let you demo at home...well good luck. That's why internet direct brands and online dealers have become so popular. 30 day in home trial and the most you might be out is your time and some shipping.

My brands for you to consider that I seriously considered:
Revel
Energy (RC & up)
Paradigm (studio & up)

Kef
Infinity
Monitor Audio
Polk LSi
Totem
Ascend Acoustics
AV123 (Rocket & up)
And a few I'm probably forgetting...:)

For the type of music you like I would bet the bold types would be to your liking...a good place to start anyhow.

Have fun,
SBF1

OttoMatic

OttoMatic

Senior Audioholic
If you like the simple, retro look, check out the Vandersteen 3A Signature. You'll have to be willing to go used, as they list at $3,500. I bought mine used and have been very happy. I had been listening to Paradigm and Magnepan in a shop and really just kept coming back to the Vandersteen. The other mentioned above are nice as well -- listen to them all if you can.

Good luck.

TjMV3

TjMV3

Full Audioholic
mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
OP you look like a perfect candidate for these speakers:

Dynaudio Focus 220
http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrfull&1231490694&/Dynaudio-Focus-220-Maple-Finis

At $2200 you will be hard pressed to find anything better.

Another speaker to look at considering you liked the Studio's.

SVS MTS-01
http://www.svsound.com/products-spks-mts01.cfm
The SVS MTS series has been compared to the Dynaudio Focus series in sound quality.

Other then the Dali Ikon 6 which I haven't heard. The SVS speakers offer better sound quality then the other on your list. JMO

E

EJ1

Audioholic Chief
If you like the simple, retro look, check out the Vandersteen 3A Signature. You'll have to be willing to go used, as they list at $3,500. I bought mine used and have been very happy. I had been listening to Paradigm and Magnepan in a shop and really just kept coming back to the Vandersteen. The other mentioned above are nice as well -- listen to them all if you can.

Good luck.
I demoed some Vandersteen 2 Signatures and they were amazing. The sound stage was so wide and you could pinpoint instruments very easily. They actually sounded better than the B&W 704s I compared them to. I can't imagine listening to the 3's or the Quattro's.

F

fredk

Audioholic General
mizuno. You have lots of choices in your price range. The music you like tends to have a greater dynamic range than average and tends to be better recorded and would benefit more from a high quality speaker.

I would add the Axiom M80 to your list. It has the same type of sound as the Paradigm Studio line and probably sits somewhere between the Studio 60 and 100.

I would take the Paradigm Monitor line off your list. They just don't play as clean as the Studios.

I have not heard the PSBs in good conditions, but they measure very well.

I agree with STRONGBADF1 that the room has as much to do with how the speaker sounds as the quality of the speaker itself. If you can, narrow your choice down to two and then audition them in your room.

As to which of the speakers here sound best, in the end, you are the only one that can decide that.

Good luck with the search.

M

mizuno

Enthusiast
Next steps ...

Fred et al.

Thank you for all the advice.

The Dynaudio Focus look great but I;m not willing to spend that money yet on a system.

I also dropped the Dali Ikon 6. I heard them in the best possible conditions and it was good but didn't feel a strong emotional connection to the music and soundstaging was average.

From the feedback and additional reading, I'm narrowing down my search to:

1. Paradigm studio (I will check 60 as well as a 5 20's plus sub config which is used by some reviewers as their reference set up)

2. Energy rc-70. I have't given up yet. I'm going to do the driving to find an energy rc-70 demo in good conditions...if i can find one. Fred, what's you take on this one?

3. I will definitely do more research on the Axiom 80. Impressive reviews. Any owners of the Axiom please chip in. The EPIC -80 set sounds good. Are the add-ons to the L/R of similar quality as the 80's?

4. I have been intrigued by a Spendor in a demo room. Was still being broken in but the musicality sounded good. I need to go back. The 5se sounds good. Need to check the price and demo it. Not a very common brand in the UK. Anyone has experience with these?

thx again!

4. may check the spendor 5se series

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis