B

Bevan

Audioholic
I'm thinking of picking up a cheap(£50) Russ Andrews aftermarket powercord for either my dvd player or amp or both.

http://www.russandrews.com/category.asp?lookup=1&region=UK&currency=GBP&cat_id=PMAINCABL&customer_id=PAA1165092005541TXDNVWUIHMMVBHBS

I dont really know the theory behind them apart from it having something to do with RFI filtering.

My question is: what would be the point of getting two of these(for amp and dvd player) when one could rather buy a single extention chord to go upstream of my current powerchords? (the extention chord has multiple sockets and is also meant to have RFI blocking properties)

thanks

b

Rip Van Woofer

Rip Van Woofer

Audioholic General
Unless you have easily heard evidence of radio interference (noise in your audio gear from flourescent lights or nearby large appliances, or you are hearing the voice of your neighbor with the amateur radio kit thru your speakers) there is no need for them at all.

The built-in power supply of any good audio equipment has sufficient noise rejection and voltage regulation for all but the most polluted mains supply (as you Brits say).

BTW, I built an RF filtered IEC mains input into my two DIY amps. Each unit cost about US$3 (admittedly, they were surplus...full price would have been about $10). So 50 quid seems a bit excessive. You could get a good outboard power conditioning/noise filtering unit from a reputable mainstream maker instead...if you really need one.

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
50pounds!?! Thats like US $70 for a fifty penny cable! Be sure to use plenty of lube before Mr. Andrews gets ahold of your backside!

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Bevan said:
I'm thinking of picking up a cheap(£50) Russ Andrews aftermarket powercord for either my dvd player or amp or both.

http://www.russandrews.com/category.asp?lookup=1&region=UK&currency=GBP&cat_id=PMAINCABL&customer_id=PAA1165092005541TXDNVWUIHMMVBHBS

I dont really know the theory behind them apart from it having something to do with RFI filtering.

My question is: what would be the point of getting two of these(for amp and dvd player) when one could rather buy a single extention chord to go upstream of my current powerchords? (the extention chord has multiple sockets and is also meant to have RFI blocking properties)

thanks

b
It is a good idea to have a power cord on your component. Most usually comes with it though ;) and is free with the purchase or rather, they are included in the purchase price :)

Did something happen to the origina power cable that it needs replacing? If not, I would trust the component designer to have added the right power cord. After all, if you cannot trust the designer to add the right power cord, you cannot trust the component itself, right?

Save your pounds :D

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
If the intent is to lengthen the cords, then just get an extension cord that is rated for 15 amps or greater. Problem solved.

Rip Van Woofer

Rip Van Woofer

Audioholic General
Based on a very quick superficial look at the Website in question, I assumed that some sort of legit RF filter network was attached to the cable so I didn't reject them entirely out of hand...as I do with "magic" power cables. But maybe they're just a more cleverly promoted brand of snake oil.

Even assuming they are not pure snake oil you either don't need them (most likely)...or there are better alternatives in the rare event you really do have an interference problem.

Actually, in many cases the interference is best remedied at the source. But I think the EU and UK are very strict on how much RF can be emitted from every sort of consumer electronics.

B

Bevan

Audioholic
thanks for the replies. making me think twice about my purchase.

the only reason i was considering it was that 1) I''d read very enthusiastic reviews of said cable in more than one hifi mag, 2) they come with free 30 day trial, 3) I can pick one up cheap on ebay also with a home trial period.

there is more to the cord than just RFI filtering supposedly, though I dont understand quite what. just seems a lot of people of going with after market power chords these days and I thought it might add something to my Arcam/Dynaudio setup.

Either way, I wouldnt keep it unless it passed the usual db abx test I'll get my girlfriend to set up.

cheers

b

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
Rock&Roll Ninja said:
50pounds!?! Thats like US $70 for a fifty penny cable! Be sure to use plenty of lube before Mr. Andrews gets ahold of your backside!
Well said Ninja, not a pretty picture! Bevan, replacement power cords fall into the same catagory as the tooth fairy and the Easter bunny.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Nick250 said:
Well said Ninja, not a pretty picture! Bevan, replacement power cords fall into the same catagory as the tooth fairy and the Easter bunny.

Well, I am not sure I would go that far :D

When used, they work. They work as well as the others ;) Tooth fairy and the Easter bunny do not even exist :p

But, they are expensive sugar pills.

B

Bevan

Audioholic
does no one out there want to defend the use aftermarket powercords?

i'm happy to beleive they are snake oil, will save me some cash. i just was under the impression that it was almost standard practice replacing them, like replacing the interconnects that come with components.

how it is that the hifi mags can talk so enthusiasticly about them is what puzzles me? I understand that it is manufacturers that effectively sign reveiwers paychecks at the end of the day, but surely not some pissy little cable manufacturer that doesnt even advertise in the magazine. maybe i need to be more cynical?

b

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Bevan said:
does no one out there want to defend the use aftermarket powercords?
Bevan said:
Sure, I will. They help the economy, keep people employed, lower unemployment rates. What else would they be selling? A harmfull food supllements? :D

i just was under the impression that it was almost standard practice replacing them, like replacing the interconnects that come with components.

Yes, standard for some, not so by the vast majority :D

how it is that the hifi mags can talk so enthusiasticly about them is what puzzles me? I understand that it is manufacturers that effectively sign reveiwers paychecks at the end of the day, but surely not some pissy little cable manufacturer that doesnt even advertise in the magazine. maybe i need to be more cynical?

b

How is this different from an infomercial? or any consumer markletplace? Marketeering, after your $$$.
Being skeptical takes hard work, counter to human nature and evolution :D

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
I was born a skeptic and get moreso every year because the 'conventional wisdom' gets more outlandish as time goes in. Remember, 'if something sounds too good to be true, it probably is'. [Notwithstanding the fact that you shouldn't end a sentence with a preposition - that's how the saying goes. :)]

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

MDS said:
I was born a skeptic and get moreso every year because the 'conventional wisdom' gets more outlandish as time goes in. Remember, 'if something sounds too good to be true, it probably is'. [Notwithstanding the fact that you shouldn't end a sentence with a preposition - that's how the saying goes. :)]

Born a skeptic? :D where did you get those parents? :D :D :D

I had to work at it. Not easy. Everyone is dumping on you, etc.

Rip Van Woofer

Rip Van Woofer

Audioholic General
The thing is, there's nothing magic or even complicated about a power cord. All it does is get the AC from your wall to the unit's power supply. Period. The only requirement is that it do so with minimal losses (a given at such short lengths), without getting hot and starting a fire. If it does that its job is finished.

By the time electricity goes through your unit's transformer, rectifiers, filter caps, and maybe regulators or various noise killing goodies it's DC. All that matters then are (1) that the unit's circuits get the DC voltages they need and (2) that little or no "leftover" AC components (called ripple current) are present. Both of those jobs are done by the unit's power supply, not the cord.

The only extra thing a power cord might need extra in some noisy environments is shielding. A good shielded two meter cord shouldn't cost more than, oh, $10.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Bevan said:
thanks for the replies. making me think twice about my purchase.
Bevan said:
One reason we are here. ;)

the only reason i was considering it was that 1) I''d read very enthusiastic reviews of said cable in more than one hifi mag,

The lifeblood of the audio business. :D

2) they come with free 30 day trial, 3) I can pick one up cheap on ebay also with a home trial period.

Just a come on. proportionatly, not many are returned.

there is more to the cord than just RFI filtering supposedly,

Of course. That would be easy to debunk and it would be a 1 trick pony :D

just seems a lot of people of going with after market power chords these days

The Barnum Effect ;)

Either way, I wouldnt keep it unless it passed the usual db abx test I'll get my girlfriend to set up.

cheers

b

A waste of time, especially when it is not in the signal path and cables that are, have not been demonstrated audibly different, comparable ones.
Enjoy your testing though :D

B

Bevan

Audioholic
you guys are making me feel like i watch oprah and read depak chopra :D

i still think though thats its a big call to say that all professional reviews are blatantly dishonnest.(maybe i am a cynic?). why dont some of them at least call bull**** on the cable thing(or have i just not come across these yet?). i can understand the pressure they are under when reviewing say a denon, but surely not a powercable made by a one-man band?

appreciate the opinions,

b

Last edited:
mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Bevan said:
you guys are making me feel like i watch oprah and read depak chopra :D
Bevan said:
Well? Do you? Ophra is fine, but stay away from Depak, although he defended evolution science on Larry King not so long ago :D
He has issues.

i still think though thats its a big call to say that all professional reviews are blatantly dishonnest.(maybe i am a cynic?). why dont some of them at least call bull**** on the cable thing(or have i just not come across these yet?). i can understand the pressure they are under when reviewing say a denon, but surely not a powercable made by a one-man band?

appreciate the opinions,

b

They know which side their bread is buttered :D

Magazines loose lots of $$$ advertisement with a bad review. Audio had this happen when they published some cable articles in 1990. You cannot sell something that is expensive when it only excells in is higher $$$, nothing more. Why pay $10 for sugar when you can buy it for $.50???

Oh, there was a reliable mag, The Audio Critic, that would tell you straight, base their evaluations on DBT listening, etc. Although they were around for a long time, never a huge success. The $ensible $ound is second. One of the writers did a DBT on an RCA CDP and ones costing $1000s ;)

Please tell me how homeopathic medication is sold? It has nothing in it but the carrier, the dilution solution.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis