Power Sound Audio Triax Subwoofer Preview

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Will someone be reviewing it here?
Not likely. They don't seem very interested and they also don't seem to have their act together with stocking parts to build product. We have limited resources and try to limit our reviews to equipment that is readily available to purchase for our readers.

R

raynist

Junior Audioholic
This seems a bit harsh. They contracted a vendor to build the driver and said vendor failed to deliver the product and screwed them over.

They quickly scurried to contract another vendor and the drivers are arriving this week (and are better drivers for no cost increase).

Seems you you have a bone to pick with PSA based on earlier posts in this thread. Why would they not be interested in getting this tested? It only benefits their product.

gtpsuper24

gtpsuper24

Full Audioholic
Just about every speaker/subwoofer company is at the mercy of some kind of vendor. One of those deals where **** happens. Luckily PSA got things turned around quickly.

I'm actually kind of surprised that they don't jump at the chance to have it reviewed but they have their reasons I guess. This site is probably one of the best as far as a company wanting to push a product.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
This seems a bit harsh. They contracted a vendor to build the driver and said vendor failed to deliver the product and screwed them over.

They quickly scurried to contract another vendor and the drivers are arriving this week (and are better drivers for no cost increase).

Seems you you have a bone to pick with PSA based on earlier posts in this thread. Why would they not be interested in getting this tested? It only benefits their product.
They have been having supply issues since early summer. The only issue I have is the way they misstate the power of the amplifier of the particular sub in question on this thread. Right now our review schedule is full with products from companies that DON'T have supply or distribution issues. We have already done an extensive review for PSA in the past so that will have to suffice for now.

Last edited:
Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Why would they not be interested in getting this tested? It only benefits their product.
Couple of thoughts.

1. They'll presumably want to fulfill their pre-order agreements before they even begin worrying about sending something off for testing here.

2. I believe it was Tom himself that mentioned not too long ago that third party testing isn't really exciting for most vendors as there is no mystery as to what the results will be. In PSA's case, this is compounded by the fact that they already post a fair amount of measured data (CEA burst output, frequency response, compression testing), so Josh would mostly just be confirming that Tom's data is on the up and up, which was already done with the XV-15.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
They do provide a little data which is nice (they provide a lot more than most companies do), but they of course don't show anything as thorough as ricci's reviews...so I hope he manages to get one in. If PSA can give one away for a contest, they should also have one available for a high quality review. I'd be very interested in reading one.

gtpsuper24

gtpsuper24

Full Audioholic
If PSA can give one away for a contest, they should also have one available for a high quality review. I'd be very interested in reading one.
I agree but did they give it away or did that other site buy it? Kind of sad that site has to give stuff away every month to keep people posting. It would definitely be a extreme rating thats for sure.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
I agree but did they give it away or did that other site buy it? Kind of sad that site has to give stuff away every month to keep people posting. It would definitely be a extreme rating thats for sure.
I like HTS just fine, and giveaways are always nice. They used to run more of them in the past here and I was lucky enough to win a few things. I've also been lucky and won a few things from HTS as well.

I don't know if they bought it for the giveaway or PSA donated it - it's a great thing to do either way, and it shouldn't matter how they got it.

ellisr63

ellisr63

Full Audioholic
I am the winner... It is coming directly from PSA.

ahblaza

ahblaza

Audioholic Field Marshall
My Cordovan is shipping friday, should have it Saturday, one day to me.;)

R

Reefdvr27

Audiophyte
I took delivery of my dual Triax's on Tuesday the 15th. These subs are incredible. I am far from having them ready yet, but I am hoping by Wednesday to have them completely set up and in place and maybe get some graphs going. I did a cheezy tune job, but just off that these things are just insane.

R

Reefdvr27

Audiophyte
I posted a few pics of my supposed dedicated 20 amp outlet, I quess I answered my own question, I don't think it is dedicated, I don't know what plug is on the Triax as well.
View attachment 11942View attachment 11943View attachment 11944

It says on the receptacle 125 volt 20 amp UL listed:confused:

I have my Triax's pluged in my standard 15 amp receptacle and no problems. In my current theater build, I do have all 20amp outlets and breakers planned.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
I heard back from Tom today...I'm pretty sure my next sub will be a PSA...just not the Traix...lol. Mr V will be mailing out some samples this Monday for me to mull over....Fwiw....any guy who runs a busy ID company and still has time to play FF in our league is a guy I'd gladly do business with....:cool:.

T

Tom V.

Audioholic
I have my Triax's pluged in my standard 15 amp receptacle and no problems. In my current theater build, I do have all 20amp outlets and breakers planned.
Dual Triax on a 15amp breaker should be fine unless the room is huge and/or the subs are a long distance from the seating. There are quite a few factors at play here....amplifier efficiency, amplifier capacitance, the *system* sensitivity of the Triax, remembering that a home "breaker" will pass 2-4x its rated power for 3-6 seconds, and perhaps most importantly, the transient nature of music and film source material.

There is a natural balance so to speak when using multiple Triax too. You double the possible current draw, but you simultaneously quarter the the needed "wattage" for the sub(s) to reproduce a given output level. For example, if a single Triax requires 600 watts to reproduce full reference levels in a given room environment....DUAL Triax(co-located) with only require their amplifiers to produce 150 watts each. So you might draw 3-4 amps(absolute max) in the frist scenario....and 2 amps in the second(duals).

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

R

raynist

Junior Audioholic
I have both of mine plugged into the same outlet in my game room, no issues at all

here is a REW sweep at my main listening position. I made no effort to place these subs in the optimal place/position. Just got the in the house and placed them behind the couch.

ahblaza

ahblaza

Audioholic Field Marshall
I just plopped mine down in the usual spot where I believe I get the best response without doing much tweaking, I was impressed to say the least but something was lacking, I switched from the up to 5000cf to the 5000 and up amp configuration and my hair was blowing and the wife was upstairs telling me she felt the waves of energy a floor above (concrete floors and ceiling) in my HT. I'm going to try some nearfield listening as well. Hey Ray and Reev, where did you end up with on the sub's master volume setting. This sub has so many possibilities, I'm glad I made custom feet, 2" square blocks with majic sliders threaded on, makes for sliding the sub on my carpet so easy, plus it looks meaner raised off the carpet by the 2"s. Congrats Billy, I knew you would join the club, customer service was my decision to have every PSA sub in my place except the 30, I hadn't heard any of the PSA subs prior to purchasing, once you do there's no going back.
Cheers Jeff
PS...Ray, I'm going to try the Triax right behind my recliner, going with the above 5000 cf setting really did it, after some calculating my space is right around that 5000 mark. I already want another one....:D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis