Please Help! Perfect great room surround sound?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Folks,

Triad InCeiling speakers are very different than most others.

Keep in mind, that Triad speakers within a series (Bronze, Silver, Gold etc) are designed to sound the same -- cabinet characteristics, driver placement, and the crossover are all adjusted to make each speaker sonically identical. So, for example, InRoom, InWall, OnWall, and even InCeiling speakers should match one another within a series.

http://www.triadspeakers.com/products/home-cinema/ic-bronze8-lcr/
To quote ex-ex-president, Irregardless of its attributes or qualities (and Triad does indeed makes fine products) In-Ceiling speakers are worse place for speakers, especially for fronts, unless background music is only targeted use.

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
I would love to hear more about your reasoning regarding Triad IC LCR speakers.

We've used Triad Bronze and custom Silver IC LCRs with great success for media rooms and family rooms (not dedicated spaces where a lot of folks use AT configurations). The reason they work so well is because the entire assembly is positioned at a 45 degree angle so that the sound comes from the screen. In addition, the crossover is specifically designed for this placement.

A few years ago we did a comparison between InWall Bronze LCRs and the IC Bronze LCR. To our surprise, they sounded the same.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I would love to hear more about your reasoning regarding Triad IC LCR speakers.

We've used Triad Bronze and custom Silver IC LCRs with great success for media rooms and family rooms (not dedicated spaces where a lot of folks use AT configurations). The reason they work so well is because the entire assembly is positioned at a 45 degree angle so that the sound comes from the screen. In addition, the crossover is specifically designed for this placement.

A few years ago we did a comparison between InWall Bronze LCRs and the IC Bronze LCR. To our surprise, they sounded the same.
I value your opinion, but a) you're hardly in no position to provide impartial advice and b) no degree of speaker tilting would change a simple fact that sound is coming from ceiling. You see, humans could tell direction of sounds for frequencies anything over 200hz (or even lower) Subs are different matter, as their placement is not depended on sound directivity, but on room bass interaction/room modes.

Unfortunately I am not in Florida, but if I were to hear the Triad IC demo in your showroom and I would change my opinion about them, I'd have to eat my hat.

T

Tankman

Audioholic
I'm now considering moving the fireplace slightly to the left in order to maybe center the media space and fireplace together for the space. That way the seating area would be centered to the room and both the fireplace and media space would be the main focus not just either or! Is this a bad idea to have a non centered fireplace? My budget for speakers would probably be around 5-8k.
Unit till your done with moving things around I would hold off a bit..the surround thing..But it's not a bad idea that you inquiring about surround set ups.

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
I value your opinion, but a) you're hardly in no position to provide impartial advice and b) no degree of speaker tilting would change a simple fact that sound is coming from ceiling. You see, humans could tell direction of sounds for frequencies anything over 200hz (or even lower) Subs are different matter, as their placement is not depended on sound directivity, but on room bass interaction/room modes.

Unfortunately I am not in Florida, but if I were to hear the Triad IC demo in your showroom and I would change my opinion about them, I'd have to eat my hat.

I agree, I'm not exactly impartial here. But it really does work. :)

I remember the first time I heard a similar setup. It was a demo at CES. I think it was those motorized KEF InCeiling speakers.

When I was in introduced to Triad I saw that they had a similar 45 degree design. I was intrigued so I ordered a couple for a client. It was a very challenging installation with a significant height differential between the ceiling and the TV. The client was blown away that the sound appeared to come directly from the TV screen. It's certainly not for every installation, and Triad does give us a calculator to make sure it will work in any given situation.

If you are planning to go to CEDIA this year, walk over to the GoldenEar booth and listen to their demo. Sandy uses smaller and more conventional round speakers with interesting results.

Would love to take you to lunch and give you a demo if you are ever in the South Florida area.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis