Pioneer Andrew Jones SP-PK52FS review

C

crzycuyler

Audioholic Intern
Why just one or the other? Five towers is.. awkward.
I completely disagree. I think bookshelves on stands is far more awkward. I may consider four BS22's and the center or four FS52's and the center. I don't see why I shouldn't match the fronts and surrounds, at least.

A

alphaiii

Audioholic General
Heads up guys, in case you don't visit the deals section here....

Tiger has the C22 for $60 today.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Last edited:
A

alphaiii

Audioholic General
52's are back at tiger too. $99 each when added to cart:Pioneer Andrew Jones Designed SP-FS52 Floorstanding Loudspeaker - 40Hz-20kHz, 6 ohm, 130 Watt, Floor Standing at TigerDirect.com
I don't get an option for free shipping though through paypal/google. They are charging 29.99 for shipping period. Anyone know how to get free shipping?:(
$289.00 for a pair of 52's and center. You save $10.00 from what I originally spent. Would have been nice to get free shipping, but it is only on certain items only.
I ordered a C22 to gift to someone, and shipped was free on that one... but I didn't use google or paypal to checkout.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
52's are back at tiger too. $99 each when added to cart:Pioneer Andrew Jones Designed SP-FS52 Floorstanding Loudspeaker - 40Hz-20kHz, 6 ohm, 130 Watt, Floor Standing at TigerDirect.com
I don't get an option for free shipping though through paypal/google. They are charging 29.99 for shipping period. Anyone know how to get free shipping?:(
$289.00 for a pair of 52's and center. You save $10.00 from what I originally spent. Would have been nice to get free shipping, but it is only on certain items only.
Not for the Google Check-out
Get Free Shipping at TigerDirect.com

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
I ordered a C22 to gift to someone, and shipped was free on that one... but I didn't use google or paypal to checkout.
I tried without Paypal/Google and it's still charging me $10.00 shipping just for the center speaker.:mad::(

J

jennkel08

Audioholic Intern
Why would you get 5 Towers? I would only get four and get the center. A tower as a center seems a bit unnecessary and awkward.

A

alphaiii

Audioholic General
Why would you get 5 Towers? I would only get four and get the center. A tower as a center seems a bit unnecessary and awkward.
That line of thinking is why horizontal center channel designs exist...despite the design compromises...

I'm with crzycuyler here - 5 towers (or 5 identical speakers in general), all placed in the same orientation (ie. vertically) with the tweeters at the same height... is the ideal setup.

Of course, it's impractical for most...

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Imagine, a Pioneer speaker thread, still holding up good at Audioholics Forum.:cool:
No kidding. I like Pioneer gear, but I don't think about their home speakers much. These sure have gotten some good reviews. I kinda wish that I needed speakers. :)

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
It is your fault - you started this thread.:) Imagine, a Pioneer speaker
thread, still holding up good at Audioholics Forum.:cool:
:eek::D:D:D Too bad I did not get a pair.:( Hopefully soon...wonder If they will go down to $79 each for the holidays?

ahblaza

ahblaza

Audioholic Field Marshall
No kidding. I like Pioneer gear, but I don't think about their home speakers much. These sure have gotten some good reviews. I kinda wish that I needed speakers. :)
Adam, the 52's are nice, I had them for a couple of weeks, enjoyed them and back they went to BB, I don't need more speakers:eek: Did I just say that. I think I'm going to take Jim's approach and get the 22's and use my Onkyo M-282 (that is listed in the classifieds) to drive them as rears, they faired well (22's) on top of the 52's when compared, that says a lot, sound is quite similar except the bass of course and output, but according to Jim Zieg "he likes them" that's good enough for me.:)

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I'll be getting 3 towers for the front 3. Can't use towers in the rear or I would. Towers behind an AT screen makes them less awkward. :D Now, if only someone could keep them in stock at $99 I'd be set.

zman1974

zman1974

Enthusiast
My Review of the 52's

I finally got a chance to do some serious music listening over the Thanksgiving holiday. I have the 52's and the matching center across the front with the NHT Superzero 2.0's performing surround duty (for now; I plan on replacing them with 22's in the near future). The speakers were allowed to break-in over the course of a week of television and movie watching. I didn't notice a big difference from when I originally installed the 52's, but perhaps some of that shine mentioned in previous posts had smoothed out a bit. The speakers maintain their slightly forward, aggressive, detailed, open character.

I did all listening through my Logitech Squeezebox which is run through a PS Audio DL III DAC to the Pioneer Elite VSX-33 receiver. I know; additional conversions should make for worse sound. Not in my experience, but that issue is beyond the scope of this post. I like the sound this system produces, and in the end that's all that matters. :)

I listen to a great deal of hard rock and classical music. It's a challenge to find a speaker that will reproduce Bach and Santana with equal aplomb, let alone a speaker that is affordable. Frankly, I didn't expect much from the 52's. I got prepared to turn the volume down as I figured that fatigue would quickly set in listening to a bunch of brightly recorded rock. I was pleasantly surprised.

The highlight of the listening session was "Smooth" off of the Ultimate Santana CD. With the NHT Supertwo 2.0 this track was unbearable at high volumes. The NHT is not really designed for high volumes, but even when I turned the volume down these speakers struggled. There was just too much sizzle for my taste. Enter the 52's. Problem solved. I had all the detail I wanted plus I was actually turning the volume up. :D

Turnng to classical, Bach's Brandenburg Concertos 1, 2, an 3 (Telarc), never sounded better. I would put the sound I heard slightly behind my old seperates system (Integra 9.8, Earthquake Cinenova Grande, Onix Reference 3's), but nothing I couldn't live with. Considering the price difference involved I will definitely do so with a great big smile.

In conclusion, these budget Pioneer's are only budget in their price. Nothing I have heard would indicate that anyone would be unhappy with them as their primary speaker regardless if you can afford to spend more. They are a perfect multimedia speaker for a living room that must do double duty for music and movies. Really, the only downside is cosmetics; my wife and I happen to find them fairly attractive, and match the rest of the system perfectly. Every bit of developmental dollar obviously went where it counts: sound reproduction. In short, Pioneer is selling the sauce, not the sizzle.

Well done, Andrew Jones. I plan on drinking many Newcastle's in your honor.

ahblaza

ahblaza

Audioholic Field Marshall
I'll be getting 3 towers for the front 3. Can't use towers in the rear or I would. Towers behind an AT screen makes them less awkward. :D Now, if only someone could keep them in stock at $99 I'd be set.
I would definitely get three 52's across the front LCR, makes for a huge front stage presentation with crisp clear dialogue.;)

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
In short, Pioneer is selling the sauce, not the sizzle.

Well done, Andrew Jones.
Good review

As I stated before, the Pioneer will hold up and more, against some
of the popular name brand speakers. Nice to know that my ears are
still holding up.:)

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
...I got prepared to turn the volume down as I figured that fatigue would quickly set in listening to a bunch of brightly recorded rock. I was pleasantly surprised.

...Enter the 52's. Problem solved. I had all the detail I wanted plus I was actually turning the volume up. :D
These speakers defy my experience with high frequencies!
They provide incredible high frequency presence and detail; but somehow manage to avoid listening fatigue issues!
It is an impressive feat for any speaker, but to find it in budget speakers is fantastic!

PS-Your experience with the NHT high frequencies mirrors my experience with Aluminum tweeters in general. While I do believe there are some high end Al tweeters that manage to avoid break-up distortion in audible frequencies, I don't even consider Al for speakers in the price range I would buy. The Paradigm Studio 20's were probably the nicest speakers I have heard with Al tweeters. They were pretty decent but the fatigue would build over a long listening session.

Edit: I had assumed the NHT SuperZero 2.0's were Al tweeters (like their Classic speakers), but see they are silk. Interesting, I usually don't find silk domes harsh (but I'm sure it can be done).

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis