Pioneer Andrew Jones SP-PK52FS review

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Nice! I got that same set, except I have the towers. It sounds amazing. Not that much bass imo, but thats what a subwoofer is for. If I can manage to pick a good sub I am going to be extremely happy with this system because so far without the sub it sounds great!
Continue to enjoy!

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
That doesn't tell the whole story. There's probably a lot of power compression as the SPL goes up on the low end for that tiny speaker. I'd play with it but probably cross around 100 Hz.

ahblaza

ahblaza

Audioholic Field Marshall
Not bad!
I really wish they had done the FS52 so we could get some objective measurements on them!
Yeah Kurt, I thought the 52's were supposed to be reviewed in HT this month but they switched up with an all 22 C22 with sub. I posted that link in the wrong forum and Jim helped me out, he is a great fellow. :) I would have been nice to see the F2's as mains C22 and BS22's reviewed, I think that would really be an affordable high performance setup, could end up being the budget reference system to compare in the $1000+ range ;)
Cheers Jeff

D

damrich

Audiophyte
I bought the full surround set and I am very pleased. This is a great set to get me back into the audio scene and have been re-listening to my music library.

I was wondering though, would it be good to replace the sub with the Polk PSW10? It is actually cheaper if I return the 8MK2. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I was wondering though, would it be good to replace the sub with the Polk PSW10? It is actually cheaper if I return the 8MK2. Any thoughts?
Do not walk away - however, run from that Polk sub. The Pioneer
can hold you, till you save for a higher level sub.

ahblaza

ahblaza

Listen to Jim

I bought the full surround set and I am very pleased. This is a great set to get me back into the audio scene and have been re-listening to my music library.

Thanks.
Hey damrich, take Jim's (Zieg) advice ;) Wait till a few people post some reviews of the new Monoprice sub, seems built well @ 17" cubed. Get two of them $103 a piece. Hold off for now buying any sub, especially the one you mentioned.
For only $98.55 each when QTY 50+ purchased - 12 Inch 150 Watt Powered Subwoofer - Black | Subwoofers
Cheers Jeff

zman1974

zman1974

Enthusiast
Two years ago I had to downgrade my system substantially for financial reasons, and settled on seven NHT Superzero 2.0. I couldn't part with my Rythmik F12 so it remained as the sub. I switched from seperates to a Pioneer Elite VSX-33. Sources are an Oppo BDP-93 and Logitech Squeezebox paired with a PS Audio Digital Link III DAC.

I was content with this setup until I stumbled upon the Home Theater magazine review of the new Pioneer speakers. A good-performing budget tower that does music and movies was just what I wanted for Christmas. I picked up the towers and center from Best Buy last night, and I did listen to a few tracks just to get a feel. I concur with what others have said about the FS52's sound qualities. They are detailed (more so than the Superzero 2.0), but not edgy or harsh. I would say they are neutral for the most part, and will give you what you put into them. Very much a garbage in/garbage out speaker. Not the last world in resolution or noise floor, but more than acceptable for the price. And, obviously, the FS52's mate much better with my sub.

All of these comments are preliminary, but I am happy. Now, I need to find a way to mount the 22's on the wall for surrounds. The Superzero 2.0's are small speakers and don't really play well with the Pioneer's which go much lower. What's great is that I am only looking at $250 for two sets of speakers for surrounds.:)

Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread. It really helped seal the deal on the speaker change.

zman1974

zman1974

Enthusiast
Wall Mounting

BTW, has anyone wall-mounted the 22's? If so, what did you use?

J

jennkel08

Audioholic Intern
Why don't you guys just build small shelves on the walls for the surrounds. That would be cheap and easy.

ahblaza

ahblaza

Can we just sticky this? :)

They are rear ported, so sitting on a shelf or near the wall isn't the ideal option.
Make the shelf longer so you can pull the speaker's rear port at least three inches from the wall and xover at 80Hz:)

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Make the shelf longer so you can pull the speaker's rear port at least three inches from the wall and xover at 80Hz:)
What if you want to angle them down toward the listening position? Plus, a shelf may not pass WAF test.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
What if you want to angle them down toward the listening position? Plus, a shelf may not pass WAF test.
Auralex MoPads :) They are on Black Friday week sale through today I believe (see deals section) for half off too.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Auralex MoPads :) They are on Black Friday week sale through today I believe (see deals section) for half off too.
Very good point.

EDIT: Looks like the towers are only available a few places. Too bad that $99/ea deal is gone.

Last edited:
ahblaza

ahblaza

Very good point.

EDIT: Looks like the towers are only available a few places. Too bad that $99/ea deal is gone.
Ask Best Buy if they can match online price of $200, they didn't even ask where I could get them for that price, they just said yes we can match. If you don't go with cheap shelves you will be spending almost as much as the speakers for the mounts. Like these
Amazon.com: Pinpoint AM-40B Side Clamping Bookshelf Speaker Wall Mount (Pair): Electronics
If you don't mind drilling into speakers, these may work, the best way is to drill a proper size hole into back of cabinet and screw in a 1/4" threaded insert so you can attach the mount, which gives you options to use less expensive mounting hardware. Something like this or similar with just two holes.

HTD Heavy Duty Speaker Bracket
These are vey nice, but pricey.
Omnimount 20 Wall Mount Brackets
IMO you should go with the first suggestion with no drilling into cab.
Cheers Jeff

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Ask Best Buy if they can match online price of $200, they didn't even ask where I could get them for that price, they just said yes we can match. If you don't go with cheap shelves you will be spending almost as much as the speakers for the mounts. Like these
Amazon.com: Pinpoint AM-40B Side Clamping Bookshelf Speaker Wall Mount (Pair): Electronics
If you don't mind drilling into speakers, these may work, the best way is to drill a proper size hole into back of cabinet and screw in a 1/4" threaded insert so you can attach the mount, which gives you options to use less expensive mounting hardware. Something like this or similar with just two holes.

HTD Heavy Duty Speaker Bracket
These are vey nice, but pricey.
Omnimount 20 Wall*Mount Brackets
IMO you should go with the first suggestion with no drilling into cab.
Cheers Jeff
Thanks, I may just try that. I found some like the pinpoint (look exactly the same) for $25/ea on amazon. I'll probably give those a try.

C

crzycuyler

Audioholic Intern
Five FS52's or five BS22's for HT? (price mostly not an issue)

EDIT: Can we get more comparisons of the FS52's vs the BS22's?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis