J

jennkel08

Audioholic Intern
You seem to be leaning towards a different direction now - You can
buy the Klipsch if you want to. The Mirage sub, with 8" woofers had
limitations.

There is nothing wrong about loudness or high SPL - as long as it is
clean, tight and controlled. If you want reference level, then go for
it. The Pioneer speakers were not made for reference levels.

Nothing wrong with 2 subwoofers, if you really feel the need. > The
key with one sub, is to properly place it. If you want 2 then buy 2.

If budget permits - the Epik or this HSU sub, would be my preference.
VTF-2 MK4 Subwoofer
My direction has always been the same, however I guess I did a bad job of communicating what I wanted.

Just curious have ya tested either the Epik or the Rw12D? If so im wondering what you're impressions of it are

Also have ya tried the Rumba? It looks interesting

J

jennkel08

Audioholic Intern
You might like the Legend, but forget about CS:( that sub will set you back about $580 delivered, I think if you are considering that amount I would seriously think about this, it goes on sale often or better if you wait for this.
Outlaw Audio LFM-1 Plus Powered Subwoofer
Outlaw Audio LFM-1 EX Powered Subwoofer
The EX usually is $100 off with free shipping $550, it should give you what your looking for in that room for now.The plus is no slouch either. You mentioned two subs (klipsch), I don't want to sound crude but listen to what's being said here, 1 nothing times 2 nothing equals nothing...:)
Have you tested either of those subwoofers? And how do you think dispersion within the room with the outlaw would compare to the Epik since it seems like it would do better with a fuller dispersion

J

jennkel08

Audioholic Intern
Also I wouldn't go too hard on the guys at AVS.

One guy named archaea has been giving me a lot of advice.

The Subwoofer Recommendation by Pricepoint Thread.

^this is a thread he started, I would say by the amount of subwoofers he has heard his opinions are valuable, as are all your opinions which I thank you for continuing to provide

J

jennkel08

Audioholic Intern
You might like the Legend, but forget about CS:( that sub will set you back about $580 delivered, I think if you are considering that amount I would seriously think about this, it goes on sale often or better if you wait for this.
Outlaw Audio LFM-1 Plus Powered Subwoofer
Outlaw Audio LFM-1 EX Powered Subwoofer
The EX usually is $100 off with free shipping $550, it should give you what your looking for in that room for now.The plus is no slouch either. You mentioned two subs (klipsch), I don't want to sound crude but listen to what's being said here, 1 nothing times 2 nothing equals nothing...:)
What exactly do you mean by 1nothing part? Do you mean everyone has said its bad? I mean I feel it should be considered. Archaea has listened to it by itself and in dual setup. and another person on my thread posted who has the exact same pioneer speakers im getting except they are the previous year models and two rw12ds and he says they are great and that with one he had a lot of spots with low or high bass. Just figured I would share that

ahblaza

ahblaza

Audioholic Field Marshall
What exactly do you mean by 1nothing part? Do you mean everyone has said its bad? I mean I feel it should be considered. Archaea has listened to it by itself and in dual setup. and another person on my thread posted who has the exact same pioneer speakers im getting except they are the previous year models and two rw12ds and he says they are great and that with one he had a lot of spots with low or high bass. Just figured I would share that
It really meant nothing, I was joking, no offense intended. Archaea is a good dude and highly regarded as a reviewer of subs, My sub reco would the Jamo sub 650 here.Jamo SUB 650 12" 650W powered subwoofer | Vanns.com
Unfortunately the $299 price is nowhere to be found. I really liked my Epik Legend, plenty of output and dug pretty deep, amp ran hot and CS was unsatisfactory (for me). I would try out the Klipsch sub(s) and see what you think, they do seem to highly regarded at AVS, if you don't like it(them) return. Good luck, and no I haven't heard the Outlaw subs but there is a good review here.
Outlaw Audio LFM-1 EX Subwoofer Review — Reviews and News from Audioholics
and like I said they go on sale often. I also highly reco the Rumba 12 sub, CS is excellent, the Jman (Jim wilson) reviewed it at HTS. Here
Simply Sound Audio Rumba 12 Subwoofer Review - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com
Murrel has since installed hurricane (threaded inserts) to baffle to mount the extra heavy driver. That sub IIRC is completely USA made...;) I hope murrel get well soon.
Cheers Jeff

ahblaza

ahblaza

Have you tested either of those subwoofers? And how do you think dispersion within the room with the outlaw would compare to the Epik since it seems like it would do better with a fuller dispersion
The Epik has a combined cone area of about a 17" driver with dual opposing 12" drivers, plenty of output, too bad I just sold one with a spare new plate amp, the original amp was and is functional for $390 delivered, but that is water over the dam, it's gone but did enjoy it for a year and a half. You don't see many used Epik's for sale, that says something for them..:)

C

crzycuyler

Audioholic Intern
Anyone have any opinions about the REL T5 at half price for a tiny apartment?

J

jennkel08

Audioholic Intern
The Epik has a combined cone area of about a 17" driver with dual opposing 12" drivers, plenty of output, too bad I just sold one with a spare new plate amp, the original amp was and is functional for $390 delivered, but that is water over the dam, it's gone but did enjoy it for a year and a half. You don't see many used Epik's for sale, that says something for them..:)
Good point. Can I ask you how your room dispersion was? I have a rectangular sealed room. (My room is 18x15 with 9ft high ceilings and a 5 x 8 nook in the back. listening position is about 7-8 ft from speakers.) With a wide seating. One main couch in front that can hold 2-3 ppl and then a chair to the left and two person couch to the right

ahblaza

ahblaza

Good point. Can I ask you how your room dispersion was? I have a rectangular sealed room. (My room is 18x15 with 9ft high ceilings and a 5 x 8 nook in the back. listening position is about 7-8 ft from speakers.) With a wide seating. One main couch in front that can hold 2-3 ppl and then a chair to the left and two person couch to the right
That's a really nice room, a lot of possibilities. The single Legend did well in my room 14' W X 19' L. The legend is very room dependent and takes advantage if placed properly. I had it corner loaded about a little less than a foot off the front wall with it slightly angled towards the right side wall, also with the right driver firing into that wall at least 18-20" from that wall and the left side driver firing slightly (because of the angle toward the front and left wall. This location produced the highest SPL at the LP about 10' away (loud but not sloppy), Phase at 0. Opposing drivers in a sealed cab IMO is a good design, the sub stayed in place with not much cab resonance. $500 is a good price point, you may need to spend more to get better. :)
Cheers Jeff

J

jennkel08

Audioholic Intern
That's a really nice room, a lot of possibilities. The single Legend did well in my room 14' W X 19' L. The legend is very room dependent and takes advantage if placed properly. I had it corner loaded about a little less than a foot off the front wall with it slightly angled towards the right side wall, also with the right driver firing into that wall at least 18-20" from that wall and the left side driver firing slightly (because of the angle toward the front and left wall. This location produced the highest SPL at the LP about 10' away (loud but not sloppy), Phase at 0. Opposing drivers in a sealed cab IMO is a good design, the sub stayed in place with not much cab resonance. $500 is a good price point, you may need to spend more to get better. :)
Cheers Jeff
Yeah for what it is it seems like a pretty good room for an HT setup and doesn't seem overly big so shouldn't be too hard to get things loud.

Im kinda confused on your placement haha. Do you mean that you had the sub in the right corner in front of your listening position with the front of the sub facing the LP so that one driver was facing the front wall and one was facing the right side wall?

Whatever I choose in terms of sub/s ill have to figure out how to set it all up. Im good at setting up audio gear and electronics in general but in terms of phase (i dont understand what it means really) and all the other small eq settings and such I will have to research how to set it all up so its the best sounding. Like i understand what crossover is but I dont really fully know how I should set it up so yeah.

Yeah, unfortunately I dont think for me I should spend to much more than that haha. I guess in a sense Im looking for balance if that makes sense. Something with good SQ, good dispersion, good SPL, good with music and HT and games, Good in the low end. So I guess in the end since I am on a budget I would prefer a sub/s that do everything well as opposed to sub/s that have AMAZING SQ but horrible dispersion, bad SPL and only good with music or the other or one with amazing dispersion but bad on everything else if ya know what I mean. I feel on a budget the ideal choices for anything really is too have a quality for everything its supposed to do as opposed to doing one thing amazing and the rest bad especially in a setup where you wanna share your system with friends and family something like dispersion is just as important as other things whereas if you have a sealed room with one chair in the middle and watched movies or listened to music all by yourself then maybe dispersion isnt at all important if you can setup the sub to sound perfect for your one LP.

J

jennkel08

Audioholic Intern
No one is really knocking AVS or Archaea - I have way more posts at
AVS, compared to here.

I already know about the subwoofer threads, and I read your thread.
Oh okay understood. Thank you for reading my thread. I appreciate you taking time out of your day to do so.

ahblaza

ahblaza

Jenn, the sub was located in the right front corner with the right driver firing into the right wall and the left driver just firing towards the left. the right side driver was at least 17" from the right wall. Placement will very on your room and the type of sub you decide on with other variables. You seem to want a sub that has no compromises, does everything right and is a bargain.:D

J

jennkel08

Audioholic Intern
Jenn, the sub was located in the right front corner with the right driver firing into the right wall and the left driver just firing towards the left. the right side driver was at least 17" from the right wall. Placement will very on your room and the type of sub you decide on with other variables. You seem to want a sub that has no compromises, does everything right and is a bargain.:D
Sounds good.

Haha yep that is what I am looking for. Obviously I know for my budget I wont be able to get something is perfect SQ or goes as low as 10Hz or something like that but I feel like for the price I should be able to get something that is good at everything based on the price

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I would prefer a sub/s that do everything well as opposed to sub/s that have AMAZING SQ but horrible dispersion, bad SPL and only good with music or the other or one with amazing dispersion but bad on everything else if ya know what I mean. I feel on a budget the ideal choices for anything really is too have a quality for everything its supposed to do as opposed to doing one thing amazing and the rest bad especially in a setup where you wanna share your system with friends and family something like dispersion is just as important as other things
Getting a good quality sub, with bigger drivers than a Mirage or Logitech
can make a difference. > A good sub should be able to handle music and
Home Theater sound, with the potential to be flat, smooth and loud.

A second sub depends on room size, preference/desire and the budget.

A lot of this can come down to the driver quality/size, the amp, cabinet
and the overall design and engineering. How the sub will blend with the
speakers is real important, extreme loudness will not guarantee anything.
It comes down to things like placement, and this also plays a part in the
so-called direction and perception of sound. Also, the crossover frequency
does play a key role in all this - and is a key part between the speakers
and the sub.

Last edited:
zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Just curious have ya tested either the Epik or the Rw12D? If so im wondering what you're impressions of it are
While I would prefer, or look into the Epik over the Klipsch, I do not
have the luxury, or space to do an in-home subwoofer shake-down.
It is easier for me to play with different speakers, and they do not
weigh as much as the subs.:)

Last edited:
ahblaza

ahblaza

Sub

Hey jenn08,
What again is your budget for a sub, I seemed to miss this. :) Do you have an oppotunity to hear the Klipsch?

J

jennkel08

Audioholic Intern
Getting a good quality sub, with bigger drivers than a Mirage or Logitech
can make a difference. > A good sub should be able to handle music and
Home Theater sound, with the potential to be flat, smooth and loud.

A second sub depends on room size, preference/desire and the budget.

A lot of this can come down to the driver quality/size, the amp, cabinet
and the overall design and engineering. How the sub will blend with the
speakers is real important, extreme loudness will not guarantee anything.
It comes down to things like placement, and this also plays a part in the
so-called direction and perception of sound. Also, the crossover frequency
does play a key role in all this - and is a key part between the speakers
and the sub.
Good points, I agree.

I understand basics of crossovers and whatnot but Im gonna have to find some threads on how to setup everything better. I wanna make sure I have everything sounding the best it can.

That is true. Subs are extremely heavy

J

jennkel08

Audioholic Intern
Hey jenn08,
What again is your budget for a sub, I seemed to miss this. :) Do you have an oppotunity to hear the Klipsch?
Well with the 5.0 speakers and wire it was 500 bucks. My AVR is a Yamaha Adventage rx a710. last years model. I spent somewhere in the 400-450 range on it if I remember correctly. It has been a great AVR. My budget on the sub started at 300 then kinda bumped to 400 then 500-600. haha. Definitely not really looking to go past 600. Part of the reason for that is based on how much my speakers cost and my avr cost as well as the fact that I just haven't seen any options I liked all that much better for say 700-800. And if I was wanting to bump up my budget that much which doesn't seem to make sense to me. I would think two epik legends would be ideal since you can get a pair for about 1000 shipped I think.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis