Philharmonic Audio - 3-way open back ML-TQWTs designed by Dennis Murphy

woodsart

woodsart

Audioholic
It was a joke that obviously went over like a lead balloon.

Enjoy your speakers.
My brother in law and wife have a set of harmon kardon 18 years old and I played some music with the monitors. I said isn't that awesome sounding, they said it sounded like their speakers.

So, I do understand why there are so many bose customers out there...:(

A

ack_bak

Audioholic
My brother in law and wife have a set of harmon kardon 18 years old and I played some music with the monitors. I said isn't that awesome sounding, they said it sounded like their speakers.

So, I do understand why there are so many bose customers out there...:(
I don't know whether to laugh or cry....

A

ack_bak

Audioholic
Heck I can't hear above 6 khz so maybe I need to stick with ear buds :D
Haha, nicely played.

BTW, love the Goldenear speakers. Had the pleasure of listening to the model you have and they really are well done for the price point.

woodsart

woodsart

Audioholic
I don't know whether to laugh or cry....
Some people do not have the ear for quality and I understand that, just the bose waveguide makes my skin crawllllllllllllll.:confused:

I never understood why I didn't like to listen to boom boxes/car stereos and such, until now, sometimes I think it is not too good of a thang......particularly when the wallet is involved.

Someone should ask me.....

What's in your wallet?......speaker receipts!:D

A

ack_bak

Audioholic
Some people do not have the ear for quality and I understand that, just the bose waveguide makes my skin crawllllllllllllll.:confused:

I never understood why I didn't like to listen to boom boxes/car stereos and such, until now, sometimes I think it is not too good of a thang......particularly when the wallet is involved.

Someone should ask me.....

What's in your wallet?......speaker receipts!:D
Nice line :)

I was dealing with a difficult room to place speakers once (I had a dedicated media room, but still wanted more than stock TV speakers for the livingroom on the main level). My wife told me she only wanted something small "like Bose". I admit I was curious. The Acoustimass system I looked at good good reviews at Amazon/Best Buy, and I was still very green about speakers. So I bought the Bose system, hooked it up. Spent about an hour with it and boxed it up and took it right back to the store. Picked up some small profile book shelf speakers (RBH) and a refurbished Onkyo receiver and a small subwoofer and never looked back. I did make my wife listen to both and got her opinion and she was baffled that the Bose could get such good reviews.

The power of marketing...

Whenever we are at the Mall Of America, it amazes me at how many people flock to the Bose store...

I have been able to convert a few of my friends and family memebers to nicer speakers, but it is not easy...

woodsart

woodsart

Audioholic
Nice line :)

I was dealing with a difficult room to place speakers once (I had a dedicated media room, but still wanted more than stock TV speakers for the livingroom on the main level). My wife told me she only wanted something small "like Bose". I admit I was curious. The Acoustimass system I looked at good good reviews at Amazon/Best Buy, and I was still very green about speakers. So I bought the Bose system, hooked it up. Spent about an hour with it and boxed it up and took it right back to the store. Picked up some small profile book shelf speakers (RBH) and a refurbished Onkyo receiver and a small subwoofer and never looked back. I did make my wife listen to both and got her opinion and she was baffled that the Bose could get such good reviews.

The power of marketing...

Whenever we are at the Mall Of America, it amazes me at how many people flock to the Bose store...

I have been able to convert a few of my friends and family memebers to nicer speakers, but it is not easy...
Very true, I get plenty of reviews, before I make a move on a large purchase. Given Dennis' design record, I know the sound and I knew that was what I was looking for. The Songtowers are some of the best designed/sounding speakers anywhere and I could live with them easily. It's just that with the ribbon tweet went over my budget.

I am afraid the Philys are going up as a result of the price of oil.

Hope I am wrong for all you guys making a decision.

F

frsimms

Junior Audioholic
Oh, yeah, that's a good one.

Think I'll go read up on Peyton Manning and Tim Tebow now.:eek:

Then I'll go buy a new Lexus.
I can see why you would want to buy a Lexus. You saved so much money buying a Philharmonic 3 that it would make anybody feel rich! ;)

Bob

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I'm listening to the 17 tracks again on the Phil3. Definitely do not need a subwoofer for music. All kinds of things were shaking. :eek: Bass is really tight. All the instruments and vocals sound really great from top to bottom.

Really wish I could go back in time like 2 years ago and got Del & Dennis to make me 5 of these Phil3s at the unbelievable price before I spent a dime on any speakers.:D:D

D

dduval

Enthusiast
Don't post here much, but I have been intrigued by the Phil 2's.

Was wondering if someone could answer a question for me.
I'm about 40% music and 60% movies. Every now and then I do like to turn it up while music listening. At short intervals (to avoid hearing damage), I do approach 105 to 107 dbs, while I'm sure the phil 2's will sound great at lower listening, will they be able to handle these SPL's? (of course, given the proper power)

Last edited:
woodsart

woodsart

Audioholic
Don't post here much, but I have been intrigued by the Phil 2's.

Was wondering if someone could answer a question for me.
I'm about 40% music and 60% movies. Every now and then I do like to turn it up while music listening. At short intervals (to avoid hearing damage), I do approach 105 to 107 dbs, while I'm sure the phil 2's will sound great at lower listening, will they be able to handle these SPL's? (of course, given the proper power)
Dennis or someone will chime in here, but did you check out the website?

philharmonicaudio.com

D

dduval

Enthusiast
Yes, checked the website and 3 other forums, no mention of what SPL the Phil 2's are capable of...maybe I missed it...

woodsart

woodsart

Audioholic
Yes, checked the website and 3 other forums, no mention of what SPL the Phil 2's are capable of...maybe I missed it...
Actually I wasn't sure, but thought Dennis may included some clue of SPL, that may be no interest to him as I feel sure they can certainly handle just about anything thrown at them!

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
Actually I wasn't sure, but thought Dennis may included some clue of SPL, that may be no interest to him as I feel sure they can certainly handle just about anything thrown at them!
I test the total harmonic distortion of every speaker at as high a drive level as my software will allow, and there aren't any issues. And I can play them louder than I can listen. But there's only one woofer, and it will exceed its linear travel faster than a speaker with 2 or more high quality woofers if they're asked to play full range. With a sub crossed at, say, 60 Hz, I doubt that the Philharmonics would fall apart on you if you goosed the volume higher than us normal folk would.

D

dduval

Enthusiast
I test the total harmonic distortion of every speaker at as high a drive level as my software will allow, and there aren't any issues. And I can play them louder than I can listen. But there's only one woofer, and it will exceed its linear travel faster than a speaker with 2 or more high quality woofers if they're asked to play full range. With a sub crossed at, say, 60 Hz, I doubt that the Philharmonics would fall apart on you if you goosed the volume higher than us normal folk would.
Thanks Dennis,

I do have dual 18" subs, but I cross at 40hz with my Axiom M80's. I could always raise the xo if needed. It's not that I listen to music that loud very much, but with my current setup, it's there if needed to show off to friends and such...

Besides, I'm getting too darn old to listen above 90 db anyways...:)

Thanks much!

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks Dennis,

I do have dual 18" subs, but I cross at 40hz with my Axiom M80's. I could always raise the xo if needed.
You really should. That's literally a bandwidth of one octave for your subs, which is pretty pointless. Try to get overlap over 2.5 octaves if possible.

D

dduval

Enthusiast
You really should. That's literally a bandwidth of one octave for your subs, which is pretty pointless. Try to get overlap over 2.5 octaves if possible.
Point taken, but for music listening raising the XO just doesn't cut it for me in my system. I have tried many variations of cross over settings (and I have Multi XT32 as well) and while I have found that 70-80hz xo is good for movies, it does not work well for music.

50hz to 40hz xo works well for "both" movies and music. Movies crossed at 40hz, with my dual 18" subs, peels the paint off the walls. I could not be happier. If I was like 90% movies, I would just leave it at 80hz.

Again, this is just what works in my room with my system.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
And.....we would like to have an update, plez!:D
I did some more comparison with Phil3/Salon2/Orion3 in 2.0 Direct mode.

The bass was closer than I had thought before. The Salon has a little more bass than Orion which had ever slightly more bass than Phil3. Overall, the bass was quite close. Really don't need subs for music with any of these speakers.

But, again and again (which sounds like a broken record by now), the Phil3 truly puts the $22,000 Salon & $15,000 Orion to shame because the Phil3 is only $3,000 and it plays every bit as great as the other 2 much, much more expensive speakers! :eek:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis