Philharmonic Audio - 3-way open back ML-TQWTs designed by Dennis Murphy

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
that can't be right. Even though it starts to lose output around there, you can tell from the excursion graph:

That it's actually tuned a few hz below 30hz.

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
that can't be right. Even though it starts to lose output around there, you can tell from the excursion graph:

That it's actually tuned a few hz below 30hz.
Holy crap you guys listen loud!!

I just listened pretty damn loud..I felt it but barely. The house was shaking.. My mom is asleep I don't want to scare the crap out of her. When she wakes I'll play louder.

On second thought...they were bottoming out. (I don't have any experience with that at all..so I'm not sure.) The exertion from Skurve was MUCH more than that from Fan Fare, and I played Skurve much lower.

N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General
On second thought...they were bottoming out. (I don't have any experience with that at all..so I'm not sure.) The exertion from Skurve was MUCH more than that from Fan Fare, and I played Skurve much lower.
I think your room might have something to do with it. I listened at about 85dB average in a few different rooms when I had the Phil's and felt the bass in two of them (peaks were probably louder, of course).

Did you really bottom out the Phil's? :eek: They hit 95dB peaks at our GTG earlier this year, and they didn't bottom out. Weird... I guess it is time to get a subwoofer build going. I'm sure GranteedEV would be willing to help you out. He'll want to go extreme, though (TL loaded?), so be scared. Be very scared! :D

R

Ricardojoa

Audioholic
I notice that the BMR monitors using SS 7" drivers plays down to 30hz in a ported cabinet while the phil slims plays down to 32hz with the TL cabinets. Any reason why not use the SS driver in a simple ported configuration for the slims besides the cost of the drivers?
This will allow for a smaller foot print and the woofer can be placed much closer to the mid contrary to the woofer on the slims.

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
I notice that the BMR monitors using SS 7" drivers plays down to 30hz in a ported cabinet while the phil slims plays down to 32hz with the TL cabinets. Any reason why not use the SS driver in a simple ported configuration for the slims besides the cost of the drivers?
This will allow for a smaller foot print and the woofer can be placed much closer to the mid contrary to the woofer on the slims.
I certainly could do that, although the footprint would actually be wider and not all that much shallower. These are called the Slims, after all. But I prefer transmission line tuning, or at least Paul Kittinger's transmission line tuning, to a conventional bass reflex design. I think the bass on the Slims is a little more articulate, even if there isn't quite as much power handling because of the Seas woofer's smaller size. Also, the Scan is more expensive than the Seas.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Any specific track you prefer? :D
Every track turns my sectional into a massage chair. Track 6, the title track, isn't my favorite musically, but the synth is virtually continuous. The RTA display shows strong 20-40Hz content. (Too bad I'm so lazy; I have an unopened duplicate of the album I could send you.)

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
"Clubbed to Death" by rob Dougan is nice.
I bet that's a real toe tapper. I suppose there's some of sort of rule that says every generation has to have music that makes the previous generation want to puke.

Last edited:
monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
Did you really bottom out the Phil's? :eek:
It was the track not the volume. I listened VERY loudly last night to other tracks and they were fine. There was definitely some exertion, but nothing too bad.

Weird... I guess it is time to get a subwoofer build going. I'm sure GranteedEV would be willing to help you out.
While I'm sure he would, I think I got this. :) Sub is easy enough. I already have all the stuff anyway, I just need a box. I'll probably send the results to him so I can get a seal of approval. xD

He'll want to go extreme, though (TL loaded?), so be scared. Be very scared! :D
Funny you should say that. I just bought the MJK worksheets the other day. (It was a gift from ze mother.)

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I'm starting to get excited!

Getting close!
The camouflage on the woofer worked out really well, can't wait to see the rest of the drivers installed!
I asked Del to orient the side grain horizontally!

Edit: Oh yeah, grain is reconstituted Teak.

Last edited:
fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
From Dennis:

Hi Anyone interested in a pair of Phil 2's in the original black cabinets should contact me. The owner was using them while he waited for his 3's to be built. I understand them to be in mint condition--$1900/pr + shipping. Just write me at info@philharmonicaudio.com

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Getting close!
The camouflage on the woofer worked out really well, can't wait to see the rest of the drivers installed!
I asked Del to orient the side grain horizontally!

Grain is reconstituted Teak.
Wow, these speakers are starting to look good now that they are all lacquered up... or maybe it's me being lacquered up... I lost track!

Del assured me the upper baffles are showing lighter than they actually are (they will be a charcoal brown) due to some trick of the camera and have yet to get another coat.

I decided against camouflage treatment over the woofers out of fear that I might accidentally stick a finger through it. I want it to be an act of deliberation if and when any digit penetrates these speakers.

Last edited:
D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
Hi I saw these when I was picking up Duc's cabinets yesterday. I thought they looked great. I'll swing by again to pick up yours when I get back from Arizona on the 28th.

C

CHL

Enthusiast
Hi all,

How do Philharmonic 2s sound like, any particular speaker, maybe Salk Songtower? Revel Salon 2?

Thanks

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
In terms of instrument placement, brass and wind are very deep in the soundstage while hard steel floats in midair a foot behind the speaker. It's really breathtaking.

In terms of timbre, they really just sound fine. Not much more you can say.

In terms of imaging/presentation, that would depend on the character of the room they will be in. But it's really focused-yet-grand in a larger room. I had a buddy listen to the for the first time the other day and he mentioned that it was a pseudo-"visual" experience.

In terms of resolution, I'm not sure there's anything left to extract.

In terms of dynamics, when crossed over at 80hz and fed with a 600W @ 4 ohm amp, there ain't too much to complain about. Plenty of power and scale.

The bass is pretty balanced and deep, but I use bass management personally rather than the transmission line tuning.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Hi all,

How do Philharmonic 2s sound like, any particular speaker, maybe Salk Songtower? Revel Salon 2?

Thanks
Yes, I think the Philharmonic speakers are very comparable in overall SQ to those speakers.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis