PB2000 or VTF3 MK5HP ... Edit: Or ???

G

gfmucci

Enthusiast
I was following this thread and have a question with a slightly different twist. I am also torn between the SVS (SB2000 $699 with shipping) and the Hsu (Mark 2 $599 with shipping). These are different models from those posed by the OP. Duals are not an option.

For music, I don't understand the benefit or advantage of a sub that has +3db more headroom in the 30's, unless I misunderstood the explanation. For the Organ Symphony, for example I am looking for some strong peddle tones. For band music, if there is a 6' bass drum, I don't want the fundamentals lost among stronger higher bass harmonics.

I have a pair of Definitive 8040 mains. Their low end is fairly strong down to the mid 30's with their powered bass units. Would this mean that I would have LESS need for a sub with strength above 30 Hz as is the case with the Hsu VTF-3 Mk 2?

I'm looking mainly for bass extension down to 20 or a bit lower. My 20' by 20' detached garage with 8' gable ceiling will be my music room. This is for music only, combination of classical (orchestra/concert band), country, oldies. Of course I will have to contend with some tools rattling:D. I envision some foam tape in my future.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The SB-2000 and VTF-2 mk5 aren't really the same kind of sub (unless you run the VTF-2 in sealed mode). The SB-2000 is not designed for powerful 20 Hz bass. You would want the PC-2000 or PB-2000 for that, from an SVS subwoofer. If you are interested in extension down to 20 Hz in a 20' x 20' room, go for a ported subwoofer.

G

gfmucci

Enthusiast
Then the Hsu vtf-2 MK 5 would be better than the SVS SB2000 for my purposes - and $100 less? (I miswrote "Mark 2" in my question.)

Here is the MK 5 info... http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-2mk5.html

Yes, I understand the two I mentioned are different: one sealed, one ported. I understood the SVS had good response down to 19 or so based on reviews and specs I've seen. Didn't know it would be a bit shy of "powerful bass" around 20 Hz.

Here is the little I currently think I understand:

Sealed: "Generally" best for music. Not as strong in the 20 hz range
Ported: "Generally" best for movies; stronger in the range the port is tuned for.
Bigger: "Generally" get more extension and higher output
More expensive ported: Usually larger size; can be pretty good for music
Small ported: Will tend to be boomy (port tuned too high)

Corrections to the above "understandings" with examples of specific models in the $400 to $700 (my upper limit) price range are welcome.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Your understanding is kind of correct. The truth is a properly designed and dialed-in ported sub would be as good for music as sealed, as you allude to. The strength of sealed subs to reproduce deep bass is overstated and occurs because of an in-room acoustic phenomena called pressure vessel gain which can occur in medium to small rooms. As you say, the range of port tuning is where ported have a big advantage, and I don't think you realize how much of an advantage: two to three times the output capability. And what's more, the ported output around tuning is much cleaner output since the woofer doesn't have to move as much (so long as port chuffing does not occur). Here is an illustration of the performance difference of a sealed vs ported design, all other things being equal.

G

gfmucci

Enthusiast
"Here is an illustration of the performance difference of a sealed vs ported design, all other things being equal."

Yes, that is why me thinks that that referenced model might be my best bet in my price range. Thanks for reminding me.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I recently got a pair of the VTF-3 MK5's and I'm still playing with adjustments and tuning (in a good way). I love these subs, they're so versatile. I was pretty firmly entrenched in the sealed design camp, but the VTF 3 changed my mind. I now run with 1 port open and eq1, but I have the flexibility to change the tuning and character of them easily and without any fuss any time I feel like it.

N

nuraman00

Audiophyte
My room is pretty small, only 1800 cubic feet. But I hear you on getting as much sub as possible, for me that would be the VTF3.5 or PSA 15v
What did you decide on, and how do you like it?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis