paradigm studio 60's vs paradigm monitor 7

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Does anyone know how many hours to typically break in the studio 60's?
A subject of much debate. While it has been shown that a driver's characteristics may alter slightly with use, I haven't heard anyone definitively show that it affects the overall sound of the speaker over a long period of time. In other words, don't worry about it.

I compared 40s to Monitor 5s in my system and they were not all that different with movies, but for music, it was clear that the 40s trounced the 5s. I am sure if I had spent more time with movies, the difference may have been more apparent. For sure, the ability to handle much more power was obvious as well with the 40s.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Fyi

here are Paul Barton's(designer & co-founder of PSB speakers) views on that very mysterious subject?

People often mention capacitor and speaker break-in,
here is what Paul Barton founder of PSB speakers has to say
about it.

"Break-in refers to running components for a long time (sometimes hundreds of hours) to the point where their components "settle" into their proper operating mode. Barton doesn’t doubt that some components do change subtly, but he thinks that the major improvements people think they’re hearing aren’t in the components at all.
Barton doesn’t doubt that people are hearing these changes,
but thinks that what they’re hearing is actually brain
break-in.

"Barton has examined his own speakers to test this. He has
taken a Stratus Gold loudspeaker, built and measured some ten years ago, and re-measured it today. The deviation is slight, perhaps 1/4dB at most. Although that deviation can possibly be heard, it is certainly not a huge difference that one may attest to hearing. Instead, Barton surmises that the difference in sound that people are hearing over time is conditioning of the brain. He cites experiments done with sight that indicate the brain can accommodate for enormous changes fairly quickly and certainly within the hundreds of hours that audiophiles claim changes occur in. Could this apply to hearing, too? Barton thinks that more often than not, what happens is that the changes in perceived sound that are attributed to component break-in are simply the brain becoming accustomed to the sound. He warns listeners not to fool themselves."

I have been thinking about Paul Barton's comment above regarding "brain break-in" and it's apparent application to evaluation of loudspeakers (and perhaps also new caps)over time.

At first I agreed fully with this as a short term effect (e.g. listening for a period of 1/2 to 3 or more hours in a single session). I have experienced this phenomenon wherein something objectionable in the speaker's performance gradually became acceptable and unnoticed after a while.

But, I also wondered about repeated breaks in between listening sessions of 1 or more days and what effects going back to the same music with the same loudspeakers would have regarding the evaluation of break-in. Would the brain's acceptance of a loudspeaker's sonic deficiencies gradually become acceptable SOONER or, even immediate during a new listening session?

This led me to investigate psychoacoustics. Wikipedia's description of it includes the following:

"....There are true psycho-acoustic effects introduced by the brain. For example, when a person listens to crackly and needle-on-vinyl hiss-filled records, he or she soon stops noticing the background noise, and enjoys the music. A person who does this habitually appears to forget about the noise altogether, and may not be able to tell you after listening if there was noise present. This effect is called psycho-acoustical masking. The brain’s ability to perform such masking has been important for the adoption of a number of technologies;..........."

The first sentence above is in full agreement with my personal experience. However, it's that second sentence in the quote above that answered my question regarding repeated listenings over time. So, psycho-acoustical masking may be at the crux of our notion of speaker/capacitor break-in. That is, if Wikipedia and other 'answer' sites are truly correct.

Last edited:
TheFactor

TheFactor

Audioholic Field Marshall
I'm guessing a 100 hours or so but im sure someone here with more knowledge can be more accurate.:)

TheFactor

TheFactor

Ok I just checked my Paradigms owners manual and it says allow several hours of use before doing any critical listening. I would'nt be to concerned though although they do get better after break in :)

TheFactor

TheFactor

lol I didnt realize so many peeps responded already guess I should of looked closer :eek:

TheFactor

TheFactor

Did you read any of the 3 posts before you? :rolleyes:
No I didnt Just got the email and responded when I clicked on the link it put me on the second page and didnt see the third.....my bad:)

TheFactor

TheFactor

Do you really believe your speakers will sound better after 100 hours? :eek:
no but Thought I heard that somewere, and actualy thay sound pretty good now but to be honest I havnt been counting :D:p

M

m5isa540

Audioholic Intern
As with so many other topics, this is just a bunch of subjective (and sometimes bad) science and engineering wrapped in cool marketing hype. The home electronics market segment is full of this. Case in point.... Monster Cable. For example, anyone who falls for their bad science/engineering (and absolutely amazing Marketing) and pays over $100 for an HDMI cable deserves to be parted with their money. But if it makes the consumer feel good, that's all that really matters. And you can bet Monster Cable counts on that.

Speaker break-in..... bah... humbug. Nothing but Marketing hype designed to put a nice wrapper around the sudden reality that your new speakers don't sound as good as they did in the show room. As mentioned in a discussion above, your brain will get over it....

R

r33v35

Audioholic Intern
I just wanted to let everyone know for the point of this thread. I was a bit skeptical about the 60's to the 7's (or i wouldnt have started this thread). The 60 are amazing compared to the 7's!!! Hands down... They are amazing...

TheFactor

TheFactor

I just wanted to let everyone know for the point of this thread. I was a bit skeptical about the 60's to the 7's (or i wouldnt have started this thread). The 60 are amazing compared to the 7's!!! Hands down... They are amazing...
LOL Sometimes the point will get lost into the shuffle and it'll turn into a peeing match:rolleyes: Its kind of funny looking back at some of these threads but everyone usally has good intentions at first. It kind of reminds me of school back in the day and the gym teacher throws the ball into the play ground and everyone fights for the ball and in this case it was "speaker break in" or "60's vs 7's" lol But when the dust from the play ground cleared you saw the light and yes the Paradigms studio 60's are truly amazing !!!!

TheFactor

TheFactor

Also whats good for one speaker might be good, might not be good or is good for another. Every speaker has a different design with different components, so for someone to say it doesnt matter about speaker break in and the sound doesn't change for "all" speakers is ludacris imo and actualy is pretty funny , it dosent take a rocket scientist to figure that out. Thought i'd pick the ball back up since the dust has settled a little:D and if someone can hear your speakers drop in performance after only a 100 hours there probably blown:)

R

r33v35

Audioholic Intern
Well guys, lastnight i hooked up the old monitors just cause i was bored. To my surprise i actually enjoyed them. I couldnt tell a 1000 dollar difference until i turned them up much louder than i would ever listen to it. Just thought i would let everyone know.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis