Option to Buy RBH 1266 SE from Day Spa - Thoughts

J

Jwheel

Audioholic
I have the option to buy a used pair of RBH 1266 SE speakers. I've worked out a price of $850 for the pair. The issue is that they've been in used in a local day spa for the last three years. While day spa's don't obviously drive them at loud volumes, they've obviously been played a lot over the course of that time. Given that they've been played softly albeit they've been playing on for the better part of the last three years, is this something I should pass up? Thoughts? I live 5 minutes away from RBH, so if there's ever an issue, they're not far from me. Thanks all!

**Just noticed I goofed on the model number in Thread Subject line and can't correct.

[ADMIN] I updated the thread title for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
nova

nova

Full Audioholic
I would not worry about it. I've had my 1266-SE much longer, probably seen a lot more use than the spa and likely much, much higher volumes. That is a pretty good price if the cabinets and drivers all all in good condition. Rodger and all the folks at RBH are very good to work with, I'm sure they'll treat you right if you have any issues.

J

Jwheel

Audioholic
Thanks for the reply. As it turns out I went to go and look at them and they're actually the 1044-SE model and not the 1266-SE's as listed in the ad I found. I was disappointed. Let the search continue. Thanks for the reply nova!

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
Thanks for the reply. As it turns out I went to go and look at them and they're actually the 1044-SE model and not the 1266-SE's as listed in the ad I found. I was disappointed. Let the search continue. Thanks for the reply nova!
Do you listen at high SPL?

J

Jwheel

Audioholic
I did not listen to them. The equipment used to drive them is currently in use driving the new in ceiling speakers replacing the 1044's. I did however find a guy locally selling a brand new pair of 1266's in mahogany for $1,500. Figured that was a good price for them.

Basically, I can get the used flat black 1044's for $850 or new mahogany 1266's for $1500. I guess the question is are the 1266's worth double the 1044's?

Last edited:
monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
Sorry. I wasn't asking if you did listen at hih spls, I was asking if you do, in general, at home.

How big is the room within which the speakers will be placed?

J

Jwheel

Audioholic
Gotcah. Yes, I like to listen at high spl's. The room is 6,218 ft^3

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
Those 4 inch drivers might not like such a big room at loud levels depending on their XO point and transfer function. OTOH, the horizontal dispersion of the 1044s should be more wide (compared to the 1266) due to the smaller driver size, which could be more pleasing in a room with walls that are a good 7-8 feet away from the closest speaker.

I cant find any measurements to evaluate, and I've never heard either speaker so I cant offer much advice other than to say: try to negotiate a short, week or two trial period so that if you end up not liking whichever speaker you choose for one reason or another you can trade back.

J

Jwheel

Audioholic
I would love it if both sellers would be willing to do that for me. Unfortunately, I don't think that'll be the case. I think I'm going to have to make a decision based on gut feel here. I did get the guy selling the 1266's down to $1300 for the pair. I'm leaning that direction simply because it has a larger mid-range at 6-1/2" and a 12" woofer instead of 4" and 10" in the 1044's.

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
I would love it if both sellers would be willing to do that for me. Unfortunately, I don't think that'll be the case. I think I'm going to have to make a decision based on gut feel here. I did get the guy selling the 1266's down to $1300 for the pair. I'm leaning that direction simply because it has a larger mid-range at 6-1/2" and a 12" woofer instead of 4" and 10" in the 1044's.
You said your room is 6218 ft^3, what are the dimensions? How far will you sit from the loudspeakers? At what SPLs do you typically listen?

J

Jwheel

Audioholic
I've attached a basic room layout. The openings are open to hallways. The couch is about 15 feet back from the wall where the TV is mounted and the speakers would be out to the side. I like to listen to music/movies on the loud side. Movie theater loud for movies and music loud enough that my wife usually tells me to turn it down. ;)

Room Layout.png

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis