Optical Audio override HDMI?

H

hubie

Audiophyte
Just got a brand new TV, hooked it up to DirecTV HD via an HDMI cord. Picture is great! But my TV's attached speaker SUCKS. I now want sound to come out of my logitech z-5500, but realize I probably needed a digital optical audio cord. I bought it off newegg and plugged it in to the logitech receiver and my TV.

one problem -- audio still comes out my horrible TV speaker! How can I have sound come out my logitech speakers? should I be plugging into the TV at all? or the DirecTV receiver? Should I be using s-video for video and digital optical for audio, and get rid of HDMI (or component) altogether? Nubie confused.

Hubie the Nubie

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
HDMI carries both audio and video but you may have a setting in the DirectTV receiver setup menus that tells it to output the audio portion over the digital optical output.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
You may also have options for your TV to turn the speakers of the TV 'off'. How are you adjusting volume? Can you just turn your TV speakers all the way down, or does this affect the volume going to the Logitechs?

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
Either turn the TV speaker volume down to 0 or look in the TV options for a way to disable the speakers.

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
Do as others have recommended or hit the TV's mute button. The mute button is what I use. Some TV's have an on screen display, that does not go away, telling you that TV's speakers are muted. If so, what I suggested does not apply. Having the TV speakers and HD speakers on at the same time sounds horrible, at least on my system it does.

Nick

H

hubie

Audiophyte
No Digital Data

No sound coming out of the logitech speakers at all. the logitech receiver reads "Detecting..." then "No Digital Data".

Anyone know how I can get my TV to send the audio to the logitech? I got the cord as recommended to connect the two, but still nothing.

There are some different options to turn sound off on the TV, but nothing that makes them come out of the logitechs...

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis