Oppo BDP-83 Universal Blu-ray Player - Update

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
$499 is still a bit steep, but DVD-A may tip the scales a bit.

G

greggp2

Senior Audioholic
I got the early adopters program e-mail today too. It looks like we would be guinea pigs while they sort out their firmware issues. I don't know how much I like that idea. We would be paying retail for it, and it may not be entirely functional. They already mentioned that DVD-A wouldn't be available yet and we would need a firmware upgrade in order to make it work.

Don't you think if we are one of the 50 lucky few, we should get some type of discount on the unit while we work with them on fixing bugs in it? Here is the e-mail I got. Let me know what you guys think...

OPPO BDP-83 Blu-Ray Disc Player EAP

Dear ,

We would like to thank you for the tremendous feedback that we have received from the community in response to our first BDP-83 Blu-ray player notification update. There were many great comments, suggestions and concerns which we will try to address in the release of the BDP-83. In particular, we would like to address the Early Adoption Program.

We have decided to take a democratic, by-the-people approach to the implementation of the Early Adoption Program. For the initial batch we will randomly choose 50 customers to participate in the Early Adoption Program. These 50 customers will have the opportunity to purchase the BDP-83 for $499 before the official release. After using the player for about a week, they will be required to vote on whether the program should be expanded or suspended based on end-user experiences. If a supermajority (at least 70%) votes in favor of expanding the program, we will expand the Early Adoption Program by another 100 randomly chosen customers. The player will be shipped with a pre-production firmware version. Firmware updates will be available from time to time.

The initial 50 Early Adoption Customers will be chosen no later than February 25th using the random number generator at random.org. After being contacted by us, the customer must place the order no later than 3pm February 27th Pacific Time; otherwise the opportunity to participate will be passed on to another customer. A simple "Yes" or "No" vote on whether to expand the program needs to be cast no later than March 15th.

Terms and conditions for the Early Adoption Program, as well as the current program status, can be found at our web site:
http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-83/EAP.aspx

We would also like to take this time to update you on the status of BDP-83 developments. The last two months have been very fruitful, as the player now supports BD-Live (Profile 2.0) and can internally decode Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio formats. DVD-Audio has yet to be implemented through firmware, but we are working diligently on this feature. A preliminary features and specifications list will be available on our web site on Tuesday March 3rd.

goodman

goodman

Full Audioholic
Questions re BDP-83

Will SACD and DVD-Audio be available from the analog outs, or only through HDMI? Will upscaling be available through component out, or only through HDMI? Will there be a wireless internet connection, or ethernet only?

G

greggp2

Senior Audioholic
I don't think anyone really knows yet. The official specs haven't been released by Oppo. I just know from the e-mail they sent me, that DVD-A isn't even available until they make a firmware update. So the initial players that ship will not even allow DVD-A at all.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Since it has analog outs it would be safe to guess that hirez audio formats would be available via them. That isn't a guarantee, but I would think so. If they can't make DVD-A available, that would mean this won't be the player for me because I would not be able to remove my 2900. If I can't do that, then I don't need to spend $500 on another player.

majorloser

majorloser

Okay, it's noon EST.
They've had had their morning coffee in Cali by now.

WHERE'S MY E-MAIL? :mad:(jk)

I just want to hear that an Audioholics member was one of the sellected few. We need pics and post here. I hate digging through long thread at AVS for info.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Want me to drive by there and see what they are up to? :D I have to go to the doctor for a follow up and their office isn't far away :)

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
I really like OPPO's stuff.
But does anyone think is an 'unusual way to bring a produce to market?

FWIW - My theory is, it's a way to really get definite confirmation of the number of real buyers willing to put money down.
Sounds like they have a limited run of 100 to 150 units, and want to make sure they sell them all before committing to more production.

It's just my theory - (my wife makes me go down into the basement when I want to espouse my theories. She says "maybe someone down there will listen") :D

I understand that's a smart business move; especially in this economic cycle.
I have a small problem with the first 50 to 150 people paying the full $499 to be guinea pigs.
What do you think?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I think they have a little lag time before they get DVD-A settled and want to get it into people's hands. It is beta testing basically, and they want to see if there are any quickly identified hiccups before they push it out fully and get some feedback.

AverageJoe

AverageJoe

Full Audioholic
I'm a winner. Placed my order this evening (majorloser - don't you dare tell my wife).

G

greggp2

Senior Audioholic
Keep us informed

Average Joe,

Congrats. I wonder if they are trying to gauge interest before committing to more production, but at the same time, it doesn't make sense that DVD-A wouldn't be available yet, because without that, the player would be fairly unattractive to many.

Please keep us informed of your impressions and thoughts on the player. I would love to shed my Denon DVD and Sony Blu-ray for one of these...

Looks like I'm not a winner... I think I'm kind of glad. Don't know I'd want the temptation of ordering, paying full price and having a piece of gear that I was demo ing for Oppo to work out their bugs.. :confused:

I'm a winner. Placed my order this evening (majorloser - don't you dare tell my wife).

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I'm assuming that we'd get an e-mail if we were chosen. Right? If so, no joy here.

I'm so exhausted that I opened up my e-mail, saw one from Oppo and got all excited...for a split second until I realized that it was the e-mail from yesterday announcing this. :)

Oh, well. Like others, I'm kind of relieved that I don't need to decide if I want to spend $500 for something that I probably won't really even use.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
She who must be obeyed can never know.... What are you going to do when it gets there? :p
1. Move the decimal place? ;)

2. Sell it to the Major for $600? :eek:

3. Split it with Tomorrow? :D

And the winner is ?!? :confused:

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis