Oppo BDP-83 Universal Blu-ray Player Review

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
So, this would actually run in line between the source and the display/receiver? Is there a way to defeat the scaling so that only the noise reduction controls are active?
I assume so. I'll let you know if I get around to reading more about it.

Which "ISF Onkyos"?
isf onkyo receiver

Right -- I meant for media/standard definition material that exhibits HORRENDOUS amounts of compression/block noise and abnormalities such as that. THAT'S what I can -- and prefer to -- use when it comes to NR.
Yes. Ok. I understand.

I don't think that's necessarily the case. Even PENG agreed that I made quite valid points and arguments.
Ok. fine.

I don't think that's necessarily fair or even kind; are we not here, deep in a deluge of online discussion forums, to ask questions of fellow hobbyists? What else is the point other than to ask, provide and share information on the home theater and audio realms? I'm just trying to receive opinions and insight with regard to specific elements of my interests -- whether they're on the two channel or multichannel side of things.

My apologies for wasting your time.
It was an observation. Simply that I can't keep up. I am so sorry that you are so deeply offended by that observation.

I disagree about the SXRDs not competing with the plasmas for black level and viewing angle -- even contrast; the reason why I bought one was because the black level and viewing angles absolutely blew the plasmas I demo'ed side by side completely out of the water.
You're definitely in the minority. In fact, you're the first and only person that I've seen say that.

P

PearlcorderS701

Banned
I assume so. I'll let you know if I get around to reading more about it.
Thank you; I'd appreciate that.

Thank you.

It was an observation. Simply that I can't keep up. I am so sorry that you are so deeply offended by that observation.
It's not that I was necessarily "offended" by your statement, but I am merely saying that I come here -- as dozens of others do, perhaps hundreds -- to retrieve information and sometimes share some, if I have the knowledge of certain inquiries. I'm sorry that's considered offensive from your standpoint to the point that you can't "keep up with" what I have been asking.

You're definitely in the minority. In fact, you're the first and only person that I've seen say that.
That is VERY bizarre -- I have heard and read the EXACT OPPOSITE especially in terms of an SXRD's BLACK LEVELS compared to other display types.

I will try and find the links to these observations when I have a moment...

EDIT: I just read the link you sent me to the "auto-Google" process (where did you dig THAT one up from?) for the Onkyo ISF receivers; didn't even know these existed or were available.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm sorry that's considered offensive from your standpoint to the point that you can't "keep up with" what I have been asking.
You know even in this thread alone, we have all been misunderstood or taken out of context once or twice. I do not know what josten meant for sure but my educated guess is that he did not find those questions offensive but simply couldn't give up with them, but he did finally get around to answer some if not all of your questions. I think we can all try to de-sensitize ourselves when responding to posts but I emphasize this is just my opinion.

My apology to josten in advance for trying to guess him, I just have to say something.

That is VERY bizarre -- I have heard and read the EXACT OPPOSITE especially in terms of an SXRD's BLACK LEVELS compared to other display types

I will try and find the links to these observations when I have a moment....
Please do find that moment and post any links that compare black levels between SXRD's to Plasma's. As a Kuro owner I am very interested in reading such observations, especially those by professional reviewers who typically include synthetic/lab test results.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Right -- I meant for media/standard definition material that exhibits HORRENDOUS amounts of compression/block noise and abnormalities such as that. THAT'S what I can --and prefer to -- use when it comes to NR.
Assuming you are in the US is it possible for you to visit a best buy store and ask for a demo of the Pioneer BDP-320 or the higher Elite models? Those models did not fare as well as the Oppo 83 in synthetic tests but they do allow some adjustments for NR. Again, I find the XDE produces sharper pictures in general but the Pioneer and the Samsung produce smoother, slightly more noise free pictures. I only mention this again as I believe you said you prefer to have the video processing done in the player. The Edge is nice but it does cost a few bucks and it is a stand alone unit.

Again, I think I was swept into the hype surrounding this company's products.
You meant it's like the stock market months before it crashed in 2008?:D

You have to admit though, Oppo never really 'hypes' their stuff up, it has been a few enthusiastic users who might have exaggerated their superior performance to some degree. IMHO this sort of thiings happen with all sorts of products, including cars, vacuum cleaners etc., not just BD players.

P

PearlcorderS701

Banned
You know even in this thread alone, we have all been misunderstood or taken out of context once or twice. I do not know what josten meant for sure but my educated guess is that he did not find those questions offensive but simply couldn't give up with them, but he did finally get around to answer some if not all of your questions. I think we can all try to de-sensitize ourselves when responding to posts but I emphasize this is just my opinion.

My apology to josten in advance for trying to guess him, I just have to say something.
Understood.

Please do find that moment and post any links that compare black levels between SXRD's to Plasma's. As a Kuro owner I am very interested in reading such observations, especially those by professional reviewers who typically include synthetic/lab test results.
Well, if we're talking about a KURO, I am uncertain how THOSE stack up against SXRDs -- I recall seeing articles and editorials on PLASMAS IN GENERAL and LCDs compared to the blacks of a rear pro.

The KURO is a totally different animal altogether, from what I have gathered. I'm jealous...:eek: :eek:

P

PearlcorderS701

Banned
Assuming you are in the US is it possible for you to visit a best buy store and ask for a demo of the Pioneer BDP-320 or the higher Elite models? Those models did not fare as well as the Oppo 83 in synthetic tests but they do allow some adjustments for NR. Again, I find the XDE produces sharper pictures in general but the Pioneer and the Samsung produce smoother, slightly more noise free pictures. I only mention this again as I believe you said you prefer to have the video processing done in the player. The Edge is nice but it does cost a few bucks and it is a stand alone unit.
Sure, I can get to a local Best Buy (I am in the U.S.) and demo these players -- I have heard that these offer better noise reduction (well, more effective) than most players out there. I will try and check this out; thanks for the lead.

You meant it's like the stock market months before it crashed in 2008?:D

You have to admit though, Oppo never really 'hypes' their stuff up, it has been a few enthusiastic users who might have exaggerated their superior performance to some degree. IMHO this sort of thiings happen with all sorts of products, including cars, vacuum cleaners etc., not just BD players.
I suppose there's something to be said about this. :)

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
I've come across a bit of info that will be helpful to anyone using the IR input on the back of the BDP-83. It DOES NOT use a standard 3.5mm mono plug.

If you use a standard plug it can cause damage to the player.

Tip is 5v+, ring is signal and sleeve is ground and on most other setups the tip is signal and sleeve is ground.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Update on my issue with Max Payne BD and the new beta firmware: I dropped by their office here and they confirmed the issue. The disc plays fine with the 1224 firmware but not with the current beta release. They are looking into it. It played fine on the BD-80 with the current production firmware.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis