Opinions wanted; buying new receiver

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I would like to know what Audyssey or any other RC facility will do for a square room? IHO, I don't think they'll be able to do much at all. Square rooms are an acoustic nightmare. The OP would be better off buying acoustic treatments for the room than rely on an AVR's RC facilities.

To the OP,

I would kick the tires of all the AVRs to see which you like the best. Audyssey will not be able to anything more than any other RC facility to tame the acoustics of a square room.
Audyssey will be able to EQ the higher frequencies, all the way up to at least 15K according to my measurements. For bass I agree with you it can't do much in a perfect square room.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
For that price, anyone who doesn't need one should buy at least two.
If I didn't already own both the AVP-A1HD and AVR-5308, I would have bought 3 @ $1K each. :D

This breaks the record for sure as the biggest discount I've ever seen!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I would like to know what Audyssey or any other RC facility will do for a square room? IHO, I don't think they'll be able to do much at all. Square rooms are an acoustic nightmare. The OP would be better off buying acoustic treatments for the room than rely on an AVR's RC facilities.

To the OP,

I would kick the tires of all the AVRs to see which you like the best. Audyssey will not be able to anything more than any other RC facility to tame the acoustics of a square room.
Well, he could try and see. But even if he bypasses Audyssey, it could still EQ this subwoofer (if he has one) and has Dynamic EQ.

I actually use Audyssey Bypass + Dynamic EQ for the benefit of Dynamic EQ even if I don't think I benefit from Audyssey by itself.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Audyssey will be able to EQ the higher frequencies, all the way up to at least 15K according to my measurements. For bass I agree with you it can't do much in a perfect square room.
I'm under the impression that all frequencies are affected equally in a square room so I don't know how EQ will help.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I've seen 50% off before, which is awesome. But I have never seen 60% off, especially on a flagship Denon! :eek:

Congrats! What a major score you landed! A $2.5K AVR brand new for $1K. Wow. :D

150WPC x 9Ch, Audyssey XT32 + Independent Dual Subwoofer EQ. Makes me jealous. :D
its overkill ill for my bedroom room but I do have two subs. I am going to sell my a52/a23 and put that money towards another A51. The amp on this beast will drive my speakers just fine. :)

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm under the impression that all frequencies are affected equally in a square room so I don't know how EQ will help.
Not really, higher frequencies have shorter wave length and therefore less affected by the room square or not. Yes still affected but less so and less problemmatic. Apparently, one school of thought, such as Anthem's, is that there is less important to even EQ the higher frequencies. I think Anthem ARC EQ up to only 5K in their AVRs, but probably allows for up to 20K in their prepros, but I am not sure.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Not really, higher frequencies have shorter wave length and therefore less affected by the room square or not. Yes still affected but less so and less problemmatic. Apparently, one school of thought, such as Anthem's, is that there is less important to even EQ the higher frequencies. I think Anthem ARC EQ up to only 5K in their AVRs, but probably allows for up to 20K in their prepros, but I am not sure.
Okie dokie then. Maybe Anthem's on to something.... However, for a square room, I think acoustic treatments are a must because I don't think RC facilities can do it alone.

V

vondogg14

Audiophyte
Take a look at the Yamaha Aventage. If you go a model or two back, you can save some money. I have the RX-A3010. I use mine as a preamp/prepro with external power amps. Lots of options, ipad control and easy to operate YPAO room correction setup. The newer ones use ESS Sabre DACs, and the prior models use Burr-Browns. Well built AVRs.

FYI, if you don't mind refurbished with warranty, online dealer accessories4less has a good selection in various brands. They are tossing in a five year warranty for the RX-A1030, for $733. I've done business with them before and they are reputable.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis