Opinions wanted; buying new receiver

O

OdinGOW

Audioholic Intern
I'm building a new surround sound system for mostly hd videos and some music. My current room is fairly small only 11ft squared, but I want a receiver I won't have to upgrade for a while and that can run a larger room when I'm ready to buy my house.

I've looked at several options, and anytime I think I'm starting to settle on a choice I read different info swaying me another way. I decided to get your more experienced opinions.

These are the options I've looked at
Yamaha rx-v1075 for 700$, rx-v677 480$, rx-v777bt for 700 (I've read rx-a840 is better?), rx-1030 1k$

I'm concerned I might pay for features I don't need.

I haven't researched the other big brands yet because I'm still trying to rap my head around what I really need.

I'm looking for 400-1000$ range. I don't mind paying more if it counts, but I don't want to spend 300$ more on a dif receiver just cos it has one other feature I don't need or something to that effect. I need things explained like how the ultra 4k up scaling works..... Do I have to have a 4k tv in order for any of the 4k stuff to matter? How important is Bluetooth? Can BT be added after? How important is it to have wifi built in? I don't need to be able to control multiple rooms. I do want 7.1 at least. I know I also want at least 100w per channel.

So what are the most important ... Stats... That I should look for?

(I apologize if this is a redundant there'd but I've been researching alllllll day and don't have time to search through the 500+threads, especially since I don't have all the same parameters as someone else!)

V

vaf

Enthusiast
The 4k upscaling will only really matter if you have a 4k television. It up-scales the 1080p signal coming into your tv to a higher resolution, but not quite at the same level of quality of native 4k content. If you don't have one, or any plans on buying a 4k tv, this feature shouldn't matter much. If you think you might buy one in the future then this might be a good feature to have. Right now I think the only place that actually broadcasts 4k content is in Seoul, South Korea for what it's worth.

The wireless and bluetooth are both good if you plan on using apps to control/manipulate your receiver, or play streaming music over the internet, etc. If this isn't a big part of your listening, then they may not be that important. Your receiver has to be equipped with the components/functionality for bluetooth/wifi when you purchase (unless you plan on personally modding it which I have no idea what would be involved with that). I know there are yamaha receivers that do not come with the antenna as part of the purchased package, but these already have the capability built in.

Really all I look for in a receiver is that it has enough power to sufficiently drive my speakers (which most do for my speakers/environment), and that they have the features that I like. If I were to buy a receiver today it would definitely have bluetooth and wifi as I stream a lot of music. I was eyeing up the rx-v777 while doing some window shopping, but never pulled the trigger as I haven't done enough research. It appeared to fit my wants and needs pretty well. Not sure about the a840. Haven't done enough research.

Judging by your room size (I'm assuming 11x11 and not 11 ft squared...) I don't think you'll have any trouble with power in the receivers that you are looking at. More of a matter of what features are important for you. If the newer features aren't important I'd go with an older model. You could definitely get a higher end legacy model for a good price.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm building a new surround sound system for mostly hd videos and some music. My current room is fairly small only 11ft squared, but I want a receiver I won't have to upgrade for a while and that can run a larger room when I'm ready to buy my house.

I've looked at several options, and anytime I think I'm starting to settle on a choice I read different info swaying me another way. I decided to get your more experienced opinions.

These are the options I've looked at
Yamaha rx-v1075 for 700$, rx-v677 480$, rx-v777bt for 700 (I've read rx-a840 is better?), rx-1030 1k$

I haven't researched the other big brands yet because I'm still trying to rap my head around what I really need.

I'm looking for 400-1000$ range. I don't mind paying more if it counts, but I don't want to spend 300$ more on a dif receiver just cos it has one other feature I don't need or something to that effect. I need things explained like how the ultra 4k up scaling works..... Do I have to have a 4k tv in order for any of the 4k stuff to matter? How important is Bluetooth? Can BT be added after? How important is it to have wifi built in? I don't need to be able to control multiple rooms. I do want 7.1 at least. I know I also want at least 100w per channel.

(I apologize if this is a redundant there'd but I've been researching alllllll day and don't have time to search through the 500+threads, especially since I don't have all the same parameters as someone else!)
For a square room you should consider an AVR that has Audyssey XT or above. Something like the Denon X-4000 or Marantz SR6008/SR6009.

V

vaf

Enthusiast
Good point. The x-4000 should be dropping a bit in price once the x4100 comes out as well. Something to keep your eye on.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Features (like Audyssey XT or XT32, Dynamic EQ, Subwoofer EQ, HDMI, etc.) and prices (50% discount on some models when new models come out).

I would keep an eye on the Denon X4000 to go on clearance on Amazon once the X4100 is released everywhere.

O

OdinGOW

Audioholic Intern
The Denon 4520CI is available on Amazon for $999 today, but it looks like they're going fast.
Is that a really good price for it?

Anyone have experience with pioneer or hardon karmon? Was in sound store today trying to sell me Harmon receiver 7100 model or something for 729$..... I just can't bring myself to buy from store when I know there's always a better price online somewhere....

L

laulau

Enthusiast
Is that a really good price for it?

Anyone have experience with pioneer or hardon karmon? Was in sound store today trying to sell me Harmon receiver 7100 model or something for 729$..... I just can't bring myself to buy from store when I know there's always a better price online somewhere....
I was an early adopter when this model first came out and paid $2499 for it. You'd be saving $1499 (60%) off MSRP. Many people would consider that a good price, some would consider it the steal of the year for Denon's current (soon to be superceded) flagship receiver.

..but they're almost all gone anyway.

O

OdinGOW

Audioholic Intern
I'm seeing a lot of people have complaints about it crapping out in one way or another after not a long time.... What's ur experience with it?

L

laulau

Enthusiast
I'm seeing a lot of people have complaints about it crapping out in one way or another after not a long time.... What's ur experience with it?
I've not had one single problem since day one (close to 2 years).

Not trying to convince you to get one, if you're set on something else, go for it.

O

OdinGOW

Audioholic Intern
Ugh I was so close to getting it but it's US and will cost me an extra 300$ anyways to get it shipped to canada.... There's some pretty awsome deals from Canadian sites that include speakers etc for 1300$ range... No THX support doesn't help either.

I know the Yamaha rx-v677 would be lowest end receiver I'd want to go with, I'm so hesitant because I feel like I could get a way better deal if I wait until Black Friday, and keep digging around for mabey an older high end receiver that doesn't have the 4k stuff... But I would like built in wireless... Anyways thx for your help!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The Denon 4520CI is available on Amazon for $999 today, but it looks like they're going fast.
That was fast. Now it's $1600. :D

Original price was $2500.

Gotta watch these prices like a hawk!

I say call Electronics Expo and see if they would price match the $1K.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Just bought it online to pickup locally at a best buy about 30 miles away. I hope they actually have it. 1062w/tax

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
If you only need 5.1 and not many bells and whistles, the Anthem MRX 310 can be had for around $1,100.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
For a square room you should consider an AVR that has Audyssey XT or above. Something like the Denon X-4000 or Marantz SR6008/SR6009.
I would like to know what Audyssey or any other RC facility will do for a square room? IHO, I don't think they'll be able to do much at all. Square rooms are an acoustic nightmare. The OP would be better off buying acoustic treatments for the room than rely on an AVR's RC facilities.

To the OP,

I would kick the tires of all the AVRs to see which you like the best. Audyssey will not be able to anything more than any other RC facility to tame the acoustics of a square room.

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
I want a receiver I won't have to upgrade for a while and that can run a larger room when I'm ready to buy my house...

Therein lies the rub. You don't know now what you will "need" several years from now. Several years ago I thought I would never need: pre-outs for a separate amp, multi zone, Pandora, 2 sub outputs or Airplay. Today I use them all. So you can either get what you need now, or guess at what you will need several years from now. Either way, you can expect to be wrong. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Just bought it online to pickup locally at a best buy about 30 miles away. I hope they actually have it. 1062w/tax
I've seen 50% off before, which is awesome. But I have never seen 60% off, especially on a flagship Denon! :eek:

Congrats! What a major score you landed! A $2.5K AVR brand new for $1K. Wow. :D

150WPC x 9Ch, Audyssey XT32 + Independent Dual Subwoofer EQ. Makes me jealous. :D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis