Onkyo SC885P or Emo UMC-1

B

Birdman84

Enthusiast
Finally found some more codes supplied for the 805 which gave me the code for the CATV Box. That makes it a bit easier to live with. I have had the 777 for so long just getting the feel for a new remote is a pain but hopefully worth it with this 885

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
It might take some time. I worked on and off for a couple days trying to get the remote exactly how I wanted it work. Now it does everything I need it to do for everyday operation. I just have to remember which button I assigned to which function. Not everyone could pic up my remote and make it work.:D

Use the remote to remote learn function to fine tune the remote. It's easy and totally worth the effort.

B

Birdman84

Enthusiast
It might take some time. I worked on and off for a couple days trying to get the remote exactly how I wanted it work. Now it does everything I need it to do for everyday operation. I just have to remember which button I assigned to which function. Not everyone could pic up my remote and make it work.:D

Use the remote to remote learn function to fine tune the remote. It's easy and totally worth the effort.
The problem I am having with it is having it learn another remote. I still can't get my TIVO into it, I can get it to take codes but need to get the learning function down, MY old Onkyo remote was a Pita too but after having it set for all these years it does whatever I want, But I would have to right a hand book for someone else to learn my presets.

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
I found that you need to have the remotes fairly close to each other in the teach mode, maybe an inch or so, not much more or it doesn't read.

B

Birdman84

Enthusiast
OK thanks I will give that a try. I did have them fairly close when I tried it. It maybe I am reading the directions wrong LOL , I spend the last 40 years on and off the rd working as a sound engineer all the way up to producer and tech directer and can't get a remote to sync up. :rolleyes:

G

greggp2

Senior Audioholic
Birdman,

How are you liking your 885? How's the sound quality, etc? Are you having any sync issues? Popping noises using HD Audio formats? Delays when switching inputs? Video sync problems? I've read these have been issues with the 885 and like you, I am waiting for the Emo UMC/XMC or debating pulling the trigger on the Onkyo. Either that, or having to shell out a boat load on an Anthem....

B

Birdman84

Enthusiast
Hi. I have only hooked it up long enough to make sure everything was working as I had to put My Mom in a nursing home and I am going to move my stuff over the her house. It is mine but she has life rights to live there. Now that she can't take care of herself I am going to move out of a mobile home next to her house and set everything up over there Hopefully by June. The one thing I am waiting to buy is the HDTV I really want the new tru2way version so I can get rid of one of the boxes off the TV. So far only Panny is selling them in there low line and I want a 800 or 850 model, so It may be winter before Christmas before everything is done. But I have updated everything else so far.
Sorry for the long answer but I started updating last year all my sound equipment and now that part is done.

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
How are you liking your 885? How's the sound quality, etc? Are you having any sync issues? Popping noises using HD Audio formats? Delays when switching inputs? Video sync problems? I've read these have been issues with the 885 and like you, I am waiting for the Emo UMC/XMC or debating pulling the trigger on the Onkyo. Either that, or having to shell out a boat load on an Anthem....
The poping (DTS bomb), delays, and sync issues were resolved with the last firmware update that was available for the 885. I've never had video sync issues and the ones I have read about were not the run of the mill setups that most of us use and had other processing in the chain to the display.

If you get one just check you firmware version and just update it if it is not the 1.08 version. The files and instructions are available over at AVS. I would think that any model you are buying from Onkyo would be updated but it you buy from an individual then it may be out of date.

B

Birdman84

Enthusiast
I got it from Onkyo so it should be up to date. Where is the firmware version. On the case?

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
I got it from Onkyo so it should be up to date. Where is the firmware version. On the case?
You have to push a couple buttons from the front panel, behind the flip door.
It will then appear on the front panel display of your 885.
It is well explained in the Firmware thread of Onkyo receivers and pre/pros.
Just follow the instructions.

Last edited:
G

greggp2

Senior Audioholic
First off, Birdman, I'm sorry to hear about your Mom... I wish you the best with that situation, as it is never an easy one...

Question for you guys. The Onkyo 886 has Audyssey Pro capability. Does it also have an Auto Multi-EQ feature like the 885, or do you need a professional Audyssey set up on it? I found this unit for $999 and for that price, it seems to be a good value.

Also, how is the SQ on the 885/886 for music? Will it be better than my ARCAM AVR350?

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Question for you guys. The Onkyo 886 has Audyssey Pro capability. Does it also have an Auto Multi-EQ feature like the 885, or do you need a professional Audyssey set up on it? I found this unit for $999 and for that price, it seems to be a good value.
They both have XT and Pro capability. The Pro calibration will cost you money, when hiring someone to come over with laptop, and the price is negotiable. However, don't expect any discount if you didn't hire them for anything else, or bought anything from them. As it is, it might or might not be hard to even find someone willing.

OTOH, you can try to to convince Audyssey to have them sell you the Pro kit, also expensive, but they won't let you join their courses unless you are a Pro.

Otherwise the 886 gets Dynamic Volume and Dynamic EQ, something the 885 doesn't have. $999 for the 886 would be a killer deal, and a fair deal for the 885. The 885 was recently selling at about $500 as refurbed recently.

Also, how is the SQ on the 885/886 for music? Will it be better than my ARCAM AVR350?
I don't think it's so much about music vs HT as much as it might* be between digital vs analog. If there was any complaint about SQ, some did have one with the analog section. There is pretty long AVS thread dedicated solely to 2 ch pre/pro's with HT bypass to combine with 885/9.8. OTOH, there are plenty who are quite satisfied with the analog performance, and then of course others who don't even use analog connections.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis