Once again: what are you listening to now? Part 2.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Rocky rocky? Thought it was gonna be a Sylvester Stallone thing of some sort... :)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
lol! I forgot to turn my volume down when I clicked on that link. Now I can't find the cat. :D
I made it safer for cats now, found the band' video which has a nice quiet beginning. Debora wearing only a slip onstage is how I remember the last time I saw 'em....

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I made it safer for cats now, found the band' video which has a nice quiet beginning. Debora wearing only a slip onstage is how I remember the last time I saw 'em....
It was more my fault than your selection. The other day I had plugged the computer speakers in to watch an info video and had to turn the volume on the pc way up and just forgot it.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
here's what I tried this weekend.

I have been trying to listen to come classical stuff to see if I can learn to love it.
So far, its like learning to eat liver and onions. I'm sure its good, but I'm struggling a bit

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
I also tried some of this. Its kinda like "if you hate the main dish, try one of the side dishes"

I am not sure I am cut out for this stuff. I get it takes talent. Parts of it do sound cool.
But, if I was thirsty, would I reach for it and pass up my favorite drinks?
Nope.
I am an audiophile failure. I don't have a favorite classical piece I can quote in my abilities.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Throwing some ideas out for you @Bucknekked but I'm not much of a classical music fan. The Planets by Holst is one I've liked ever since my first Laserium show (I've got I think three different, maybe four but this one on LP is my favorite), some Stravinsky and Vivaldi and Ravel that I can't name without some research, too. Perhaps a sampling of stuff as in the Fantasia/Fantasia 2000 soundtracks? Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition I like, too (both traditional orchestra or even the Emerson Lake & Palmer take). Sometimes I'm in the mood for something like Pablo Casal's old recordings of The 6 Cello Suites by Bach.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I also tried some of this. Its kinda like "if you hate the main dish, try one of the side dishes".
Ehh. I'm not a die hard classical fan, but I love a violin or a Steinway. That's how I approach classical music. By instrument. And even then it's a rare mood.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Ehh. I'm not a die hard classical fan, but I love a violin or a Steinway. That's how I approach classical music. By instrument. And even then it's a rare mood.
I am trying to "broaden my horizons". There is a wannabe classical music buff somewhere inside my inner child. My inner child gets in trouble a lot. I approached the classics in much the same way as you suggested : by instrument. I had a friend of mine who is almost strictly a classics guy recommend a couple of selections by instrument: violin and piano. Those two albums are one or the other, in an orchestral sort of way.

I suppose I would like to be able to appreciate classical music because its supposed to sound great on good systems. I am not finding that to be the case. Obviously, I am defective as a listener. When I play music for the plebians, I find all kinds of texture and sound and rythm and goodness. When I listen to an orchestra, I can't see the forest for the trees. Obviously, my ancestors were not patricians but plebes. Whatever my forebears version of ACDC was was what they used to beat my genetic makeup in to place.

I am sure one of the genius kids will come up with a genetic test for classical music ability.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I am trying to "broaden my horizons". There is a wannabe classical music buff somewhere inside my inner child. My inner child gets in trouble a lot. I approached the classics in much the same way as you suggested : by instrument. I had a friend of mine who is almost strictly a classics guy recommend a couple of selections by instrument: violin and piano. Those two albums are one or the other, in an orchestral sort of way.

I suppose I would like to be able to appreciate classical music because its supposed to sound great on good systems. I am not finding that to be the case. Obviously, I am defective as a listener. When I play music for the plebians, I find all kinds of texture and sound and rythm and goodness. When I listen to an orchestra, I can't see the forest for the trees. Obviously, my ancestors were not patricians but plebes. Whatever my forebears version of ACDC was was what they used to beat my genetic makeup in to place.

I am sure one of the genius kids will come up with a genetic test for classical music ability.
Classical music is something you have to go there to see it, kind of like opera. There's a story behind the music. There's the interaction with the conductor, his command over the orchestra as well that is part of the listening visual and understanding of all the instruments. Then there's where all of these events are held because there is a sound to that as well.

When we used to go as kids, there was often an MC that would explain what was happening and perhaps the history behind a particular piece.
Back when much of this music was being composed, there was fierce competition and rivalry in the mix as well and an after story perhaps, right down to the emotional state of the composer. Kind of like what we know about certain painters dysfunction that can be seen in their works and you can see how their work changes accordingly.

Most days I just don't have the time to get that involved.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Classical music is something you have to go there to see it, kind of like opera.

Most days I just don't have the time to get that involved.
MrBoat
I attended a few orchestral events as a kid. My guitar teacher was in one and invited us to attend. What I remember from that event was asking myself "where in the hell is the electric guitar and stuff I came to see?" My guitar teacher apparently was an acoustic buff who had a side gig with an orchestra. I don't think I ever even saw the guy in that mass of humanity that is an orchestra.

Kinda like an opera? Have you ever been to an opera? I ask only half in jest because I had never been until a couple of years ago a friend of mine invited us to have "a night at the opera". Nice dinner at a restaurant, nice stroll to the Opera House downtown. All super nice stuff in the theater. The opera itself was quite the production. Madama Butterfly. Performed in Italian of course. With english subtitles on an electronic display up above the procenium of the stage.

You are correct in that I felt the same after seeing the opera as I do after some good classical music has been played : that was really interesting and required a lot of talent. But, if I still had $100 bucks in my pocket for entertainment, I wouldn't spend it on another opera. There are no bass guitars in opera.

I shall continue, every now and again, to try and listen to something that's "good for me". Its like trying to read a classic book like War & Peace. It hurts, but my betters say its good for me and will help me to shape up and fly right.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Perhaps a sampling of stuff as in the Fantasia/Fantasia 2000 soundtracks? Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition I like, too (both traditional orchestra or even the Emerson Lake & Palmer take).
The closest my own musical collection gets to the classics is the stuff done by Yanni. I have seen him in concert on a couple of occasions and the fellow can kick a group of musicians in to gear. My issue with his stuff is it got played to death (Live at the Acropolis) and I grew tired of it. Its an orchestra, but with electric bass guitars and drums. The way the good Lord intended music to be.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
The closest my own musical collection gets to the classics is the stuff done by Yanni. I have seen him in concert on a couple of occasions and the fellow can kick a group of musicians in to gear. My issue with his stuff is it got played to death (Live at the Acropolis) and I grew tired of it. Its an orchestra, but with electric bass guitars and drums. The way the good Lord intended music to be.
I don't get asked to go to the opera anymore. lol In one of my stints to expand my social horizons dating a woman who was clearly out of my league, I got talked into going. As it stands, I would have to look it up to even be able to spell what it was called and hope I could remember it at that. Anyway, in the middle of it, tears are flowing, hankies out etc. And my dumb redneck ass asks, "Wtf is her issue?" LOL

I also don't get asked to go to wine tasting anymore. Because it seems that 'chugging' is not acceptable. To my credit, by the end of it, the sweet little old lady that was sitting next to me also agreed that slamming the offerings was a much better way, and she was a bit tipsy on her departure and claimed it was the most fun she ever had at such an event. I'm sure if others would have tried it my way, they would have found it better as well.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Speaking of classical, sort of, I'm a sucker for most of Orff's stuff. This is a nice version of Carmina Burana
carmina burana.jpeg

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
I am in full blown cranky old man mode right about now. This is appropriate music for the mood. There's a song on this album "Don't let the doorknob hit ya' where my damn dog bit ya". Fits my day

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I lied, was lazy and only have the above on vinyl and I'm icing a knee....went new school with Ray Manzarek's version

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
I needed a pick me up. Some happy music. These guys are a happy bunch of fellas.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
MrBoat in his wisdom suggested I try some Dire Straits. Brothers in Arms.
I have been listening to it all day. What a great collection of music, well recorded and well performed.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis