C

cjem

Audioholic Intern
Could anyone tell me if the new speakers of today are as good as the speakers built in the 70's and 80's. I am looking into upgrading my speaker system; I currently have the Cerwin Vaga D5 speaker system and was wondering if there are any speakers out there that have the same sound quality and construction? I have the Yamaha RX-V2600 receiver; I would like to spend about a GRAND for a new speaker system.

Any suggestions.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
You would be better off getting speaker of better sound quality and construction.

And yes, new speakers generally have better sound then old ones. Newer, better technology etc etc. Though there are some exceptions.

SheepStar

MacManNM

MacManNM

Banned
cjem said:
Could anyone tell me if the new speakers of today are as good as the speakers built in the 70's and 80's. I am looking into upgrading my speaker system; I currently have the Cerwin Vaga D5 speaker system and was wondering if there are any speakers out there that have the same sound quality and construction? I have the Yamaha RX-V2600 receiver; I would like to spend about a GRAND for a new speaker system.

Any suggestions.

Well, it depends on what you mean by system. The CV-D series weren't bad speakers. If you mean 2 towers, you can do better for 1k, if you mean for a 5.1 (or more) setup, you'd be hard pressed to assemble a system that is going to sound as good using your towers and a few other components.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
cjem said:

Any suggestions.
Well, Well. I often wondered why no one else mentioned these speakers. I am the proud owner of a pair of D-7's I purchased new in 1985. Still have the paper ID tags glued to the back panel. They are retired. The cabinets were made of a particle type fiberboard(JUNK). My woofer foam has rotted. I never liked the mids, but man they would scream. I did think the horns were the best tweeters CV ever had. These babies would jam all night without breaking a sweat. I went through a set of seperates, and a couple of receivers. The CV's held their ground.

Today, speakers are far superior. Poly cones, Kevlar cones, metal cones, butyl rubber surrounds, and titanium used in the voice coils & for many tweeter domes. Much better than the paper used in our CV's. Most cabinets in brands mentioned here are medium density fiberboard(MDF). Much better quality than that particle fiberboard. Many manufacturers go to great lengths to build exotic cabinet internals. One of my favorites is B&W. Poke around their site and look at the passion put into their product. There are many other great brands. I will list a few off the top of my head for you to research. I am sure others will come in with more great options.
B&W
Paradigm
Monitor Audio
Vandersteen
MB Quart

MB Quart is hard to find out about at the moment. They have been purchased by a new company, and there is no US website. I just listed because that is what I have, and I love 'em. But I use them for HT with a powered sub.

Last edited:
C

cjem

Audioholic Intern
zumbo said:
Well, Well. I often wondered why no one else mentioned these speakers. I am the proud owner of a pair of D-7's I purchased new in 1985. Still have the paper ID tags glued to the back panel. They are retired. The cabinets were made of fiberboard.(JUNK) My woofer foam has rotted. I never liked the mids, but man they would scream. I did think the horns were the best tweeters CV ever had. These babies would jam all night without breaking a sweat. I went through a set of seperates, and a couple of receivers. The CV's held their ground.

Today, speakers are far superior. Poly cones, Kevlar cones, metal cones, butyl rubber surrounds, and titanium used in the voice coils & for many tweeter domes. Much better than the paper used in our CV's. Most cabinets in brands mentioned here are medium density fiberboard(MDF). Much better quality than fiberboard. Many manufacturers go to great lengths to build exotic cabinet internals. One of my favorites is B&W. Poke around their site and look at the passion put into their product. There are many other great brands. I will list a few off the top of my head for you to research. I am sure others will come in with more great options.
B&W
Paradigm
Monitor Audio
Vandersteen
MB Quart

MB Quart is hard to find out about at the moment. They have been purchased by a new company, and there is no US website. I just listed because that is what I have, and I love 'em. But I use them for HT with a powered sub.

I was reviewing three speaker brands;

Polk monitor 70
Axiom M 60 ti
Infinity Beta 50

Could you give me your opinion on these speakers or should I look at others?

John

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
I have not heard any Axiom speaker, but I do prefer the Polk over the Infinity. However, the Polk lacks low-end bass. But they make-up for it with great midrange. You may want to consider Athena F2.2 in that pricerange(with a sub). My speakers have 2/6.5" mids and a tweet. Not the kind of bass you are used to with your CV 10"rs. (IMO)All of these speakers mentioned need a powered sub to complete the sound. Thats why I prefer a higher end main with smaller drivers to cover the midrange. Then add a powered sub(now or later). It just sounds better. If I am making any sense. Gettin late for me.:D

Last edited:
Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
My old Cerwins are just like these. Except mine have a 12" instead of a 15".
http://cgi.ebay.com/USE-CERWIN-VEGA-D-9-DIGITAL-LOUDSPEAKERS-LOCAL-PICKUP_W0QQitemZ5847279381QQcategoryZ71569QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Notice how the tweeter is between the mids. Funny! I just noticed my Quarts were the same. Just have the 12" as a seperate powered unit instaed of in the main speaker system. http://www.yawaonline.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=YO&Product_Code=MBQ_QLS830&Category_Code=SP

I posted this just to give you an idea of the best way (I) think you can achieve the sound you are used to.

C

cjem

Audioholic Intern
zumbo said:
My old Cerwins are just like these. Except mine have a 12" instead of a 15".
http://cgi.ebay.com/USE-CERWIN-VEGA-D-9-DIGITAL-LOUDSPEAKERS-LOCAL-PICKUP_W0QQitemZ5847279381QQcategoryZ71569QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Notice how the tweeter is between the mids. Funny! I just noticed my Quarts were the same. Just have the 12" as a seperate powered unit instaed of in the main speaker system. http://www.yawaonline.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=YO&Product_Code=MBQ_QLS830&Category_Code=SP

I posted this just to give you an idea of the best way (I) think you can achieve the sound you are used to.
Question,

I also have a vintage Polk RM 7300v 5.1 speaker system that I have connected to my Yamaha RX-V2600 reciever I have the CV's as mains on the Yamaha. Do you think I should remain with Polk's and if you do what do you think of the Monitor 50 speaker ? would this match the Polk system?

Here is a link to the Polk 5.1.speaker system I have.

http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/products/rm7300v/

John

MacManNM

MacManNM

Banned
zumbo said:
Well, Well. I often wondered why no one else mentioned these speakers. I am the proud owner of a pair of D-7's I purchased new in 1985. Still have the paper ID tags glued to the back panel. They are retired. The cabinets were made of a particle type fiberboard(JUNK). My woofer foam has rotted. I never liked the mids, but man they would scream. I did think the horns were the best tweeters CV ever had. These babies would jam all night without breaking a sweat. I went through a set of seperates, and a couple of receivers. The CV's held their ground.

Today, speakers are far superior. Poly cones, Kevlar cones, metal cones, butyl rubber surrounds, and titanium used in the voice coils & for many tweeter domes. Much better than the paper used in our CV's. Most cabinets in brands mentioned here are medium density fiberboard(MDF). Much better quality than that particle fiberboard. Many manufacturers go to great lengths to build exotic cabinet internals. One of my favorites is B&W. Poke around their site and look at the passion put into their product. There are many other great brands. I will list a few off the top of my head for you to research. I am sure others will come in with more great options.
B&W
Paradigm
Monitor Audio
Vandersteen
MB Quart

Sorry Zumbo, I have to disagree. I have a set of pioneer HPM-100's and HPM-40's that have carbon fiber cones. Speaker materials or design haven't changed that much from the 70's. Some of the unit's from back then sound just as good as the units today. Just to let you know, that some of the best woofers today have paper cones and foam surrounds, same as some of the best silk tweeters. Like a fine wine, they just get better with age.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
MacManNM said:
Sorry Zumbo, I have to disagree. I have a set of pioneer HPM-100's and HPM-40's that have carbon fiber cones. Speaker materials or design haven't changed that much from the 70's. Some of the unit's from back then sound just as good as the units today. Just to let you know, that some of the best woofers today have paper cones and foam surrounds, same as some of the best silk tweeters. Like a fine wine, they just get better with age.
But, the question was about Cerwin Vega D-5's. So, the answer I gave is certainly correct. I should know, I have a pair of D-7's. They sounded great for a great price. They have no resale value.(IMO) The cabinets were junk. The materials were junk. But, I guess the crossovers and size made them sound pretty dang good at the time.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
cjem said:
Question,

I also have a vintage Polk RM 7300v 5.1 speaker system that I have connected to my Yamaha RX-V2600 reciever I have the CV's as mains on the Yamaha. Do you think I should remain with Polk's and if you do what do you think of the Monitor 50 speaker ? would this match the Polk system?

Here is a link to the Polk 5.1.speaker system I have.

http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/products/rm7300v/

John
Time to upgrade. Give that Yamaha the gift of a new set of speakers.:D

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
In my honest opinion, buy the best main front two speakers you can afford. Then, one at a time(if you have to), add each matching speaker. The most important part is great mains(with the matching center).

Oh, and a great sub.

MacManNM

MacManNM

Banned
zumbo said:
But, the question was about Cerwin Vega D-5's. So, the answer I gave is certainly correct. I should know, I have a pair of D-7's. They sounded great for a great price. They have no resale value.(IMO) The cabinets were junk. The materials were junk. But, I guess the crossovers and size made them sound pretty dang good at the time.
I wouldn't quite say that. If the guy is trying to build a 5.1 setup, he is going to be hard pressed to find something to replace those for 1k. Now, I didn't look at the polks he has.

C

cjem

Audioholic Intern
cjem said:
Any suggestions for a 7.1 setup?
I only use the 5.1 system for video viewing, looking for a pair of main speakers to add to the system.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
cjem said:
Any suggestions for a 7.1 setup?
I am not a "package deal" kind of person. I just audition mains. Then I build my system around that. Find the ones you like. Then, get the matching center and surrounds. Don't over-spend on large surround speakers. I did.:mad: The sub doesn't have to match. SVS and HSU seem to be the hot ticket for subs.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
cjem said:
I only use the 5.1 system for video viewing, looking for a pair of main speakers to add to the system.
You need the center speaker to be of the same quality(product line) as the mains. For now, you can use your polks as surrounds & center if you have too. But, upgrade your center next to one that matches your choice for mains. Then, upgrade the surrounds last. Don't be in a hurry. You will always have the itch to upgrade. Might-as-well get some speakers you will be proud of for a while.

C

cjem

Audioholic Intern
zumbo said:
I am not a "package deal" kind of person. I just audition mains. Then I build my system around that. Find the ones you like. Then, get the matching center and surrounds. Don't over-spend on large surround speakers. I did.:mad: The sub doesn't have to match. SVS and HSU seem to be the hot ticket for subs.

Back to my first question, what do you think of the Axiom M60ti speaker and systems?

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
MacManNM said:
I wouldn't quite say that. If the guy is trying to build a 5.1 setup, he is going to be hard pressed to find something to replace those for 1k. Now, I didn't look at the polks he has.
Heck, Athena F2.2 with a PB-10 would smoke them for 1k. (1k is for the mains). I think the Athena and the SVS would make better use of the 1k. But if it were my 1k, I would spend it all on the mains. And, add a sub later.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis