Official Northwest Audioholics Get Together

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
3. To compensate for the fact that I liked Star Trek, my name was Eugene, and I wore a pocket protector while attending Engineering school...

MWUHAHAHAHAHA
Nah I mostly wear t-shirts so no pocket protector, but you would rarely find me walking around school without my HP calculator :)

majorloser

majorloser

Nah I mostly wear t-shirts so no pocket protector, but you would rarely find me walking around school without my HP calculator :)
I would have guessed you as a TI-81 kind of guy.
But I can see you with an old school HP-41.
I'll bet you even had the matching case hanging from your belt. :rolleyes:

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I would have guessed you as a TI-81 kind of guy.
But I can see you with an old school HP-41.
I'll bet you even had the matching case hanging from your belt.
Nope HP48G+. I still have it to this day and even a few games on it (Joust, Pac Man, etc) :)

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
The EMP speakers are very impressive at their introductory price and that late Saturday afternoon they were brought into the same room as the Axiom M60's and everyone in the room at that time felt that EMP towers outperformed the Axiom's.
Not trying to be defensive, rather just pointing out an observation; the outer room was not the best for doing AB comparisons.

I say this only because the Onyx Ref3's sounded pretty bad out there (I was actually very disappointed in how they sounded) and when they were moved to the Salk room, they sounded amazing, on par with the Song Towers.

I have officially started a M60 upgrade fund. 'Nuf said.

J

just listening

Audioholic
Not trying to be defensive, rather just pointing out an observation; the outer room was not the best for doing AB comparisons.

I say this only because the Onyx Ref3's sounded pretty bad out there (I was actually very disappointed in how they sounded) and when they were moved to the Salk room, they sounded amazing, on par with the Song Towers.

I have officially started a M60 upgrade fund. 'Nuf said.
Agarwalro:
I was just repeating what my friend has said for general info. From the look of the pictures of that room, there is no way that one could great sound with all the speakers and no room treatments. That is no one's fault, just the nature of having so many speakers right next to one another. The hosts deserve a standing ovation for putting something like this on.

Hope you are able save up for the Song Towers quickly. I've heard them on two occasions and for the price, they are tremendous.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
...but you would rarely find me walking around school without my HP calculator :)
Oh, no. You were one of those guys. :p

I just used my TI scientific calculator that I had since high school throughout Engineering school. I used to pride myself on my math skills. Now I pull up the computer calculator to do simple addition. :D

majorloser

majorloser

Forget the calculator. You guys missed a great time in Oregon.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
Forget the calculator. You guys missed a great time in Oregon.
You know, Dave, I didn't want to rub it in...but they most certainly did miss a great time. If I do say so myself, we put on a helluva show. It all began here on Audioholics. The sponsors were first rate and all were jumping up to support the hobbyists. The hobbyists/attendees were knowledgeable and terrific to meet. I know I've made lasting friendships as a result of this GTG. "GTG" is almost an insufficient tag, by the way. It ended up being more like a mini-convention! The equipment was out of this world, and for me at least, included an auditory experience of a lifetime. (I will never forget the HT4's...or Bird on a Wire :)) That Jim Salk was first to get on board and support our idea, we especially want thank him and his wonderful wife, Mary, for travelling across the continent to share with us their speakers. Salk Sound's involvement more or less opened the floodgates for the positive response we gained with the GTG. But all of our sponsors (including the City of Lincoln City) stunned me with the significant level of support, involvement, and kindness.

And even the weather cooperated with probably two of the finest days in the history of Fall days on the Oregon coast.

We got the twinkle in our brains to begin the event as early as last year. We started seriously planning for the thing as early as February. It has been a ton of work, especially for Majorloser and AverageJoe, and their respective spouses (mine too) for digging in to help so much and support us through the effort. You are very much appreciated by all.

We have been asked by more than a few folks to run another event next year. It's a bit too early to know if we'll have the energy to do it again. Here's a 'hope so'. But here's also a toast to all who involved themselves with the GTG and those who attended and thoroughly helped in making this a most enjoyable experience for everyone.

Last edited:
Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
Small town living......

Our town has a permanent residency of roughly 7,000 souls, so it has that small town feel to it. (Although being a tourist town, the population swells to ~35,000 during the Summer months. :() Last week a few people began asking around about the billboard we rented in the middle of town, which read "Welcome Audioholics" The questions started to circulate..."Who are Audioholics?" "What are Audioholics?", lol. With only a few degrees of separation between almost everyone here, it wasn't long before people began spreading the word about what exactly the sign meant and who we are.

So who knows...maybe next year (if we do another GTG) we'll rival the Kite Festival for press coverage and local interest! :D

Fun stuff......

S

shoryuken

Audioholic Intern
Too bad.

Too bad i'm located in Socal otherwise I would be all over this.

L

leowiz

Audioholic Intern
This is for people in Portland, OR.

I am planning to buy the EMP E5Ti tower speakers (and the center speakers) but I can't seem to find a store where I can go listen to them before buying. Is there anyone in the Portland area who has these speakers and would not mind me coming over and hear them?

Thanks a lot.
Titus

majorloser

majorloser

I am planning to buy the EMP E5Ti tower speakers (and the center speakers) but I can't seem to find a store where I can go listen to them before buying. Is there anyone in the Portland area who has these speakers and would not mind me coming over and hear them?

Thanks a lot.
Titus
Send PM to AverageJoe. He lives on the coast and might still have a pair that he's will to audition.

TheFactor

TheFactor

Audioholic Field Marshall

Thanks a lot.
Titus
What about Hillsboro / Beaverton Oregon ?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis