Official Northwest Audioholics Get Together

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
:)Around about the fourth of July this year, my wife and I found a really fine restaurant somewhere close to the home where the audio event is to take place. The dinner was for our wedding anniversary; we had never been treated/waited on/served ever, with such dignity and care, as if we were the only ones there. There was a nice view of the ocean and a small jazz group brought a nice ambience to the experience. I must say it is a tad bit expensive, so be forwarned. I cannot recall the name of this fine establishment; they also have a wine list that would run half way down highway 101. You really must try this place. Without a doubt I would think that our host will know of the name. The exterior is a gray color. If you do go, please let me know how you liked it.

jtmj (Albany Oregon)

Emotiva 2 & 5's, Polk Towers and most surrounds, awaiting the arrival of the new Emotiva processor in order to control my amps... OPPO Blue Ray Player, HP 65" roughly TV MD6580N microdisplay HD TV, two of Mike Morrow's cables.
SVS PB12+2 gigantic sub. ( When my neighbor came to the door once he was looking around and scared to death, thinking it was an earthquake surrounding him.

In closing, I want to extend my gratitude to the hosts and all those doing the prep work. It was very graceful of them to extend their private home to all of us audio folks. Have a fun time! Looking forward to meeting you all.

The Bay House?

Salishan Lodge?

(Both excellent!)

See you soon!

Last edited by a moderator:
Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
Have some good stories to tell. Had some fine food. Had a wonderful time. Heard and saw some AWESOME audio gear!! :D

Reports and people photos to follow. ;) Meanwhile.......

Last edited:
S

skeeter99

Junior Audioholic
I just posted this over at TCA:

Had a great time, met some very cool people and took a bunch of pics. I don't know where my father in law put the camera right now so I can't share the pics yet but I will soon.

Sean (Skiing Ninja) was there which was really cool, first time we've actually met in person!

Jim Salk was there and brought his new HT4's, HT2's (I think this was them) and the Song Towers. Beautifully built speakers and all have a very distinct "Salk Sound".

Aperion was there (thanks Ed!) with the 6b and 6t's.

Audioholics brought a BUNCH of speakers as well (thanks Will, and India for tagging along and being cool in the cool couch area with me :cool:).

I ended up winning the grand prize, a set of the Cherry Aperion 6b's. These are really fantastic speakers! My father in law and I have been listening to them the last couple hours and I really really dig them. I can't wait to get them home (if I can get them in the bimmer and all of our clothes we brought down) and compare them with my speakers on my system!

Thanks A LOT to Joe and his wife and Dave and his wife for organizing and hosting the event. It was really a lot of fun and we really appreciate you opening up your home to all of us strangers and audio nerds I had a great time seeing a bunch of the people I've come to know over the past few GTG's here in the NW. I'm already looking forward to the next one in March (thanks Mark for giving me the heads up about it!).

Scott

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Food and audio gear ... :)
This is just jealousy rearing it's ugly head.
Thanks for sharing and thanks for the pic's.
Many of us are hoping for more mug shots and looking forward to reviews. ;)

-Alex

F

Funkmonkey

Junior Audioholic
Food and audio gear ... :)
This is just jealousy rearing it's ugly head.
Thanks for sharing and thanks for the pic's.
Many of us are hoping for more mug shots and looking forward to reviews. ;)

-Alex
X2 for those of us that couldn't make it, we're hoping that all of you that did will help us out on the virtual end of things. :cool:

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
Agreed. Bring on more impressions and pics! :)
I literally just got home and put back my panels, speaker stands, etc. As soon as I and others catch our breath(s), I think you might be inundated with pics and reports. I'm one crappy photographer...kinda like a 3 year old from the Kodak Instamatic generation. But I'll have a few more to post and reports will trickle in.

It was GREAT to meet the people behind the screen names....well, all except Skeeter99 who figured out some way to plain ol' steal MY Aperions. :p

The weather was amazingly spectacular for a Fall weekend on the Oregon coast. It was Kite Fest week and the Hydroplane Time Trials were in town this weekend, so there was a lot of traffic. But I think everyone had a great time and would do it again if Dave, Joe, and I ever recover (and our wives let us :eek:).

There were some incredible sales discounts at the show, with a lot of stuff at 50% off. Unbelievably, not much sold. I DID however get permiso from la hermana to buy a pair of oak SVS PB12-Pluses! I'm a v-e-r-y happy Tomorrow. :) By the way, Mrs. Tomorrow's name tag said "Wife of Tomorrow". How 'bout that?! I have a future wife. ;)

More stuff to come as I get to it and rest up a bit.

Here's for Alex's Stalker File...:cool:....

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Richie and Mrs. Richie in the HOUSE !!! :)

I thought I recognized him but the name tag gave it away.

Tomorrow, I was having trouble remembering your handle and I knew I had some sort of filthy association for it. The first thing I came up with was BF(er) but that just didn't sound right. :D RJ has a much nicer ring to it. :) Glad you all got together and thought enough of us to share or did I say that already? :confused:

G

GeorgeH

Enthusiast
The GTG was great! It was wonderful to hear so much different gear in one day. When Sean & I showed up Friday night to set up the Ref3s, I was very excited to see that the towers were going to be driven by a Modwright linestage & amp! I wanted to bring those home - badly.

The Salk room was amazing. The HT4s (I think Jim has a new name for them) in particular were superb. Something else I wanted to bring home but couldn't afford. :)

But, in the end the gear wasn't the best part. It was meeting everyone, listening to Jim talk about the development of the HT4s, and discussing speaker design with designers from Aperion & EMP over beer. Now that was cool.

Thanks to Majorloser & Average Joe for putting this event on. It was a great time!

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
Richie and Mrs. Richie in the HOUSE !!! :)

I thought I recognized him but the name tag gave it away.

Tomorrow, I was having trouble remembering your handle and I knew I had some sort of filthy association for it. The first thing I came up with was BF(er) but that just didn't sound right. :D RJ has a much nicer ring to it. :) Glad you all got together and thought enough of us to share or did I say that already? :confused:
I think everyone in attendance had a really good time. I still don't have time to post my reviews and get more photos uploaded. But I did want to put in a big plug for our sponsors...they REALLY deserve a lot of credit. We're pretty much out here in the boonies...a great vacation spot to be sure...but still the boonies. The support we received was spectacular. Joe, Dave, and I want to give one more big shout-out of appreciation and gratitude.

Audioholics Home Theater Store stepped up with major support for the GTG with their donation of the catered lunch and provided some great discounts on store equipment purchases. It surely wouldn't have been as classy an event as it was without them.

The equipment sponsors also went well beyond our imaginings with terrific equipment, donations, and support. Over the next week or so, you'll likely be seeing lots of posts about the great stuff we got to see, touch, and hear from SalkSound, SVS, RBH/EMP, AVAHifi, ModWright, Skiing Ninja, all the attendees that brought their treasured gear, and last, but certainly not least, our own Oregon audio company, Aperion. Aperion came in at the last minute with some lovely speakers, giveaways, and also popped for Sunday breakfast. On behalf of everyone at the GTG, we deeply thank the sponsors for making the experience one to thoroughly enjoy.

Glitches...we had a few. The driveway navigation saga involving Jim and Mary Salk's trailer is an interesting tale of tension. But it had a happy ending as potential disaster was averted. (Story to be told, later.) Emotiva shipped their entire pallet of gear from the RMAF show...but (!!) the shipper didn't pick it up for 3 days as it sat there at the hotel in Denver, and the equipment won't arrive until tomorrow. :( (Actually, since it wasn't going to make it here on time, it was intercepted in transit and Emotiva had it turned around to go back to Tennessee.) So unfortunately, we missed their cool equipment. Von Schweikert Audio couldn't get their VR3 prototypes working properly and couldn't make the gig. We were really hoping to unveil the new model. ERA was missing in action...we missed some nice bookshelf speakers.

Otherwise, a good time was had by all. I only wish more people could have attended and enjoyed the show with us. I have to say that the people involved in our beloved hobby are first-rate folks. I enjoyed meeting everyone who came to visit. I hope we can do this again...though in a larger venue next time. :)

Hicks

Hicks

Audioholic
Thanks to Dave and Joe for putting it together and hosting, I had a great time and really enjoyed hearing all of those speakers together in one place.

Hopefully we can do it again in the near future.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Congrats to everyone who organized this event. The pics are looking great, especially of the food. I hope to make the next one as it looks like everyone had an excellent time.

I am looking forward to reading all of the reviews of the equipment that was demoed.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Oregon
The pics are looking great, especially of the food.
Florida
Look at the size of those sandwich cuts! Usually you get little portions when they are cut up in a circle like that but this obviously isn't the case when Dave/Yvette are the hosts :)
I'm sensing a trend here. Gene likes his snacks! :D

majorloser

majorloser

Just walked in the house from a long day of sitting on airplanes. :eek:

Please give me a chance to get everybody's photos organized and write up the event wrap up this week. There was a heck of a lot of things going on over the three day event.

Adam- yes, Gene loves his food.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
There were two reasons I got into bodybuilding when I was younger:
1. to impress chicks
2. to always eat whatever I wanted

Now that I am married #2 keeps me lifting despite all my back issues :D

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
There were two reasons I got into bodybuilding when I was younger:
1. to impress chicks
2. to always eat whatever I wanted

Now that I am married #2 keeps me lifting despite all my back issues :D
I hear ya. I got into it years ago for reason #1, but it didn't work, so now I can enjoy #2 without caring too much...

EDIT: In retrospect, that might not have come across right. Alex...leave it alone. :)

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
Wow! It looks like we missed a great time. Great job you guys.

If you saw the amount of food Gene and his wife had down at last years AH event in Orlando; you'd know Gene likes his food.
Not to mention Ben & Jerry's ice cream; served by the real Jerry himself.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis