Official CES 2006 Expo News and Coverage Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hrafnkel

Audiophyte
Loudspeakers?

Hey folks, I'm new here, so I apologize if any of the products I am about to bring up have been discussed before. Assuming that the following loudspeaker companies have booths at CES, I'd be really interested in Audioholic's preliminary opinions with the Cain & Cain SuperAbby Loudspeaker + Bailey Subwoofer, Anthony Gallo's Reference III Loudspeaker, Meadowlark Audio's Kestrel Loudspeaker, and DeVore Fidelity's Gibbon 8 Loudspeaker. Just as a general note, I would also welcome any opinions on the ZuCable Druid Mk4 loudspeaker, despite the fact that the company has pretty much been discredited in my eyes thanks to their cable business (and Gene's great responses).

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Hey folks, I'm new here, so I apologize if any of the products I am about to bring up have been discussed before. Assuming that the following loudspeaker companies have booths at CES, I'd be really interested in Audioholic's preliminary opinions with the Cain & Cain SuperAbby Loudspeaker + Bailey Subwoofer, Anthony Gallo's Reference III Loudspeaker, Meadowlark Audio's Kestrel Loudspeaker, and DeVore Fidelity's Gibbon 8 Loudspeaker. Just as a general note, I would also welcome any opinions on the ZuCable Druid Mk4 loudspeaker, despite the fact that the company has pretty much been discredited in my eyes thanks to their cable business (and Gene's great responses).
I didn't see booths for any of the manufacturers mentioned here, but I will make my rounds again to Alexis Park tomorrow since I was unable to cover everything I wanted to see. I had a lot of fun there today and got a little carried away chatting with people and listened to good tunes a little bit too much.

You may find some of my McIntosh Coverage of interest:

McIntosh XRT2K Speakers

McIntosh VP1000 Video Processor

McIntosh MC2KW Power Amplifier

N

navsu

Enthusiast
McIntosh

gene said:
I didn't see booths for any of the manufacturers mentioned here, but I will make my rounds again to Alexis Park tomorrow since I was unable to cover everything I wanted to see. I had a lot of fun there today and got a little carried away chatting with people and listened to good tunes a little bit too much.

You may find some of my McIntosh Coverage of interest:

McIntosh XRT2K Speakers

McIntosh VP1000 Video Processor

McIntosh MC2KW Power Amplifier
:cool: But it took 20 years for my wife to warm up to the altec's voice of theater#19's I came home with. If I tried to bring home this set-up I would be looking for a new home to say nothing about the new banker!
Has emotiva done anything to its 7 ch pre amp & amp offering? Thanks:)

M

maxheadroom

Audiophyte
Sanyo Real HD PRO Projector

You guys are doing a great job covering the CES 2006 !!

In the HDTV display section of your CES coverage about the Sanyo Real HD PRO Projector you wrote:

...This is the first 2K projector model to hit the industry that we're aware of ...

Do you really mean that this Full HD projector will be selling for $2000 ?!!

If this is the case, this is great news !! Will it be the PLV-Zxx

Do you know when it will be available ?

Thanks

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
While Clint and Tom were fast asleep, I was up providing high end show coverage for your viewing pleasure. Who luvs ya :D

Attachments

Khellandros66

Khellandros66

Banned
gene said:
While Clint and Tom were fast asleep, I was up providing high end show coverage for your viewing pleasure. Who luvs ya :D

See now that would have perfect time go and scream "Fire!! We're gonna Die!!!" Childish yes but the faces would have been worth snapping a pic.

Jokes aside

I am truly impressed with the covereage on the new Plasma, LCD, and now finally LED technology. After reading info on the HD-DVD and BD-ROM I am not sure that I will leap on either or atleast till I see a format on the shelves at BB or CC more specifically the media itself.

McIntosh's stuff is amazing I can only hope to own their stuff someday (except 40k USD speakers fat chance there).

Probably the most interesting piece yet was the Sanyo RealHD projector, however it would be nice to see Sanyo come out with an optional 2.35:1 lense.

Westinghouse and Olevia's 1080p LCD's look intriging too.

~Bob

T

TechNut

Audiophyte
Avega Oyster

Have you guys seen the Avega Oyster digital wireless speakers? I really think someone should check them out.

I think it was PC Mag that said they listened to them and were impressed. The specs sound AWESOME to me:

802.11a/g wireless streaming to each speaker from a uPnP media server
Speakers set themselves up on the network.
Whole system controllable from uPnP 802.11 remotes
Decodes DD and DTS inside the speaker
Digital 64 bit crossovers and filters
each driver with own amplifier.
From what I could tell from the pictures, they looked to be using decent quality drivers

No receiver required! And they claim to be going for "mass market pricing"

My only question is how they handle DRM, for instance, do they support DTCP-IP for copy protection? And how do they sync with video?

I think its about time we had more hi-fi all digital systems other than meridian

http://www.avegasystems.com

TechNut

5.1 DTS guy

Audioholic
sorry if this was discussed before, but today wasn't there a failed demonstration of the Toshiba HD dvd player. The guy popped in a dvd and nothing happened. how embarrasing. :eek:

RLA

RLA

Audioholic Chief
Hello all
Just arrived back home from a 4-hour drive and am a little tired but will try to answer some questions.
#1 HD DVD vs. Blue Ray. This is short and sweet and early but I will make the prediction that Blue Ray will be the successful format unless something changes. After seeing both It should be. HD DVD is limited to 720p or 1080i how they are calling that HD DVD I have no idea.

Blue Ray on the other hand is 1080p. at least that is what we were told at all of the demos The only saving grace I see for HD DVD is that the players are cheap and it still has Microsoft’s backing I guess when you have that company behind you your not dead yet

#1 The Real HD projector is the first to have 2K resolutions we received no pricing info on the projector but I am guessing you would need to sell your house to own one

#2 1080p Plasma hit a home run at CES t was everywhere and it looked fantastic The new Pioneer Elite in particular Please keep in mind that many manufactures show off their new displays with near static feeds Pioneer was showing their new 55” panel with full motion 1080p @ 24fps this tells me they are confident in their technology and they should be. I am calling it the best looking flat panel at CES. Panasonic’s new 65” would be a close 2nd

#3 I didn’t get a chance to see many of the new front projectors because I am not going to stand in line for an hour to get a demo, but the new Yamaha 720p projector looked awesome. Remember resolution is not everything and Yamaha definitely has incorporated great optics into the new mid priced DLP

The new Optoma H-81 1080p projector looked very nice and at $10k msrp should be very popular.

The H-72 is a pricing breakthrough very nice 720p DLP projector for $1999
It should kill all 720p LCD projector sales when it streets.

The Sanyo Z-4 looked awful my old Sony 400Q would put it to shame on a bad day. With the rave about this projector what I viewed was pathetic at best I hope it was content and set up.

The Infocus 777 3 chip DLP projector was absolutely mind blowing
Yep its 720p but it spanked the 1080p stuff. Told ya! Resolution is not everything

LED projection technology looks like it is almost ready for the marketplace and if it is matured and refined will dominate the rear projection market for the reasons explained in the coverage. Try as I might I could not get anyone to answer my tech questions so what’s up on the coverage page is all I know. I hope LED will make it way into front projection

For all of you looking into budget flat lcds you should be looking at the Westinghouse models that will ship in the spring very high bang for the buck panels For mid priced panels the Olivia line would be the best bet

I looked at so many displays at the CES my eyes are burned out but if you have specific questions I will try and answer them

A couple more points and then I need some rest
It is my understanding that Mitsubishi did not exhibit at CES. They were not listed in the guide and when I asked I was told they were not there. I don’t understand that one because they have some remarkable looking HD TV's

Sony’s booth was a disaster It was so crowded and taking pictures was an impossibility I think our Photographer Jeff was able to sneak a few in but I am not sure. I did view some of the new SXRD TVs and they all looked good

Read the coverage first and then fire away with questions :)

J

jacobms1

Enthusiast
I know alot of people don't buy into "clean power" and I am certainly not a fan of monster on most fronts, but I was wondering if they have revised their line of power conditioners at all? EVen if they don't work they are pretty:D

howie85

howie85

Full Audioholic
Good idea with the remote processor for the Optoma. Looks like the fp market is gaining some ground with the lower priced models coming out should stirr some interest.

TjMV3

TjMV3

Full Audioholic
Anyone have a chance to take a look at the Wharfedale gear?

Is it true they ( Wharfedale ) have a follow up to the Evolution Speaker series, called the Evolution 2 Series?

N

navsu

Enthusiast
TEST<TEST>TEST If you have clean power than you don't need

jacobms1 said:
I know alot of people don't buy into "clean power" and I am certainly not a fan of monster on most fronts, but I was wondering if they have revised their line of power conditioners at all? EVen if they don't work they are pretty:D
Alot of people like to put a snake oil TAG on those products. But if your poping light blubs and you can see your lights dim etc you will benifit in sound and picture quality. Not to mention a smoked hard drive is co:) stly...

J

jacobms1

Enthusiast
navsu said:
Alot of people like to put a snake oil TAG on those products. But if your poping light blubs and you can see your lights dim etc you will benifit in sound and picture quality. Not to mention a smoked hard drive is co:) stly...
All I know is we replace lightbulbs on an almost monthly/semi-monthly basis...even those ones that are supposed to last for years. Hopefully I'll see an improvement if I get one of these.

Thanks!

N

navsu

Enthusiast
Call the power company

jacobms1 said:
All I know is we replace lightbulbs on an almost monthly/semi-monthly basis...even those ones that are supposed to last for years. Hopefully I'll see an improvement if I get one of these.

Thanks!
:(

If its that bad and If its in your own home and you complain long and hard enough; the power co. will come out and check your voltage spikes. Posibly put in a new transformer <depends on how bad eli the ice man is>

Duffinator

Duffinator

Audioholic Field Marshall
Audioholics Staff

Great coverage of the show this year. So you thought both the Westinghouse and Syntax 1080P LCD's looked pretty good? How do they compare to the Sharp's?

Were there many displays/projectors that would accept a 1080P input? If so can you give us a few examples of the displays that will?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis