No audio - Pioneer VSX-522-K

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Welcome to the forum, Trevor!

Hmmm. No sound at all, even when trying to run MCACC? I didn't think this would apply to the MCACC setup, but double check that your speakers are turned on. On the front panel display, check if it says "SP> A" (see page 6 of the manual). There's a button on the front panel that says "SPEAKERS" that is used to turn them on and off.

T

Trevor Ens

Audiophyte
Thanks for the quick reply Adam, and thanks for the welcome. I forgot to mention that I do have it on SP> A. And I do have the HDMI audio set to AMP instead of THRU. Initially i thought these might have been my problem but after double checking and correcting them, there still isnt any sound. Im starting to wonder if its a problem with the receiver itself. I got it second hand with no knowledge of the history behind it. One more question, in regards to the Signal Sel 01 setting. Where does it show what signal its actually on? When changing it to tv and then hitting Signal Sel on my remote I dont see anything happen on the amp. Sorry for my ignorance.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Hey, Trevor. Merry Christmas! Sorry for such a delay on getting back to you.

I was also thinking there might be something wrong with it - in the event that it is the receiver, can you return it?

In regards to the Signal Select icon, check out pages 6 and 7 of the owner's manual. Page 6 shows the front panel, and page 7 talks about Signal Select. If the TV audio is going into the optical audio input and that's the only input assigned to the TV, it's possible that it won't let you switch to any other type of signal. That would explain why you don't see anything happening.

W

wlgreen379

Audiophyte
Hey there, Adam! Just found this forum and I know you can help me out... I just got a Pioneer VSX-552 K, used and without a remote. I've got it hooked up and the front left/right speakers are working fine. I've printed out the instructions and I know I need to get the OSD up on the screen, but I can't seem to get it to show... I have a Harmony 300 universal remote controlling the receiver right now and I ordered a Pioneer remote from Amazon. I am confident if I can get the OSD to display I would be able to get something going...

Also, I have tried going with the monitor out to a video in connection. That hasn't gotten me anywhere as of yet.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Welcome to the forum!

Congrats on the new receiver, too! I think that you're asking for help in getting the OSD up, right? Lets see if we can get you going there, but you may not need that. On the two Pioneers that I've used, the menu will show up on the screen (once you get that working :)) and on the front panel display. Navigating using the front panel display is a bit more tedious, but it is doable. I've gone through the setup on my Pioneer Elite without using the screen before.

So, now we need to get the menu pulled up on your Pioneer. With your Harmony 300, are you able to access the menu system on the Pioneer? I've never used a Harmony remote before. One thing that should pull up the menu if plugging in the MCACC microphone - did you get that when you bought the receiver?

W

wlgreen379

Audiophyte
Thanks for the prompt reply! Sadly enough, I didn't get a microphone with it... I have yet to get any options to do anything with the menu. Can i hook up any microphone to it or does it need to be a special mic? Also, to answer your other question, I haven't found anything as of yet to give me programming menu on the display or on my television. Again, I know the remote will solve everything but here I am without...

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
It's always best to use the included mic, but if you don't have one - it never hurts to try a different one. :) Plus, plugging in a mic should fire up the setup menu on the receiver, which hopefully you'd be able to see at least on the front panel. I've never used the VSX-522, so I can't say for sure that the menu will show up on the front panel...but I bet it does.

W

wlgreen379

Audiophyte
Thanks for your help, Adam! While I wait for the remote to come in and/or find my mic I have everything hooked up through the center channel that works. I really appreciate your time and help today!

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Anytime! If you think of it, please let us know if you get it all set up once your new remote shows up.

D

Dozier

Audiophyte
Adam,
I purchased the VSX-522-K about a year ago to replace my old receiver. This unit was to be a temporary unit until I could afford another good one. I finally got around to hooking up my rear surround speakers and my center channel. So I have two large front floor standing speakers, one powered subwoofer, one small center channel, and two rear surround speakers. I am hooking up the rear surround speakers to the surround channel, as I do not want to add another amplifier to the mix. When testing with the unit, I do get white noise from all the speakers, and can adjust the DBs of loudness on the scale from -15 to +15 db. All speakers are heard during this process. I am not getting any sound when watching HDTV however. I do have a blue ray player and haven't tried that yet. I was hoping to watch Walking Dead in surround very soon. I have an optical audio cable from my sat. box to the receiver, and HDMI for the video from the sat. box to the receiver. Do I need to run rca cables or what? Also, I did not set up the MCCAA feature as my receiver didn't come with a mic to attach. Maybe someone took it out of the box before I bought it at Best Buy? Don't have a clue. I have the surround speakers set to small, center channel set to small, front floor speakers set to small, subwoofer set to yes. Subwoofer also is very quiet at the moment whereas I have heard it seriously thump in the past. Recap...Need center channel, and surround speakers to work while watching HDTV. Sub volume is low.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Welcome to the forum, Dozier!

Let me make sure that I understand you correctly. You've been using the VSX-522 for about a year with two front speakers and a sub, and now you've added in a center channel and surround speakers - you can still hear the front speakers, but not the center and surround, and the sub sounds quieter. Is that correct?

First, I'd say double check that you don't have the receiver in Stereo mode and don't have the satellite box set up to down mix sound to stereo. Perhaps you set it up like that a year ago because you didn't have surround speakers?

Second, you shouldn't need to connect the optical cable from the satellite box if you have the HDMI cable hooked to the receiver. You'd just need to go into the setup menu and select HDMI and the audio source for that connection, as well as make sure that the satellite box was set up to output audio over HDMI.

Also, not all TV shows are in surround sound. Many are, but some are still stereo. So, make sure that the source material (TV or a blu-ray) is surround sound.

As for the sub, did you adjust its level when you changed the speaker settings and were playing the test tones?

That's just to get started. Let me know how things go, and we'll try to get you all set up for Walking Dead!

D

Dozier

Audiophyte
Ok, so I checked the Satellite box and it was set to stereo! So...Got the sound to all work now. Next issue is that the volume is very low. Used to be much louder. I set everything to +15 and it still isn't very loud. While looking around and messing with things, the audio cut out a few times and made a very loud buzzing sound. I turned it off and back on twice to get the audio to come back on. Not sure why it did this. Makes me think the receiver might be on it's way out the door. Also to clarify a bit more on why it took so long to do the surround sound. I moved in a small house a year ago and didn't plan on staying long so I didn't hook up the surround. While there the Kenwood unit I had retired. So I bought this Pioneer to get by. Then I bought a big house. I am making a theater room and have hooked up the surround sound. I am beginning to think I may need to invest in a better receiver. My last receiver was a Kenwood from ten years ago. Bought it new for 650 on base. Was a 7.1. This Pioneer just doesn't cut it in my opinion. I may be upgrading shortly.

M

matthew shull

Audiophyte
ive hooked up my pioneer vsx-522 i have HDMI cables and optic cables run to it im getting sound from my front left and front right and subwoofer. but no sound from my center or surround left or surround right ive tride playing blue rays in my PS4 and on the Blueray player on my computer and ive tride playing music off both and the sound only comes threw front left and front right

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Welcome to the forum, Matthew! Have you gone through the MCACC setup routine? The receiver has to be setup to use those speakers, and one easy way to do that is to go through that setup.

M

matthew shull

Audiophyte
Welcome to the forum, Matthew! Have you gone through the MCACC setup routine? The receiver has to be setup to use those speakers, and one easy way to do that is to go through that setup.

M

matthew shull

Audiophyte
Yes i have I've double checked everything to i seen you speaking on another post about the stereo setting but there is no setting like that on my devices and not on my receiver that I can see I get sound out of them when it is doing the mcacc setup but then it stops again when the setup is over

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Okay, there are a few more things to check out. I don't mean any of this to be patronizing, as I don't know your level of experience or what you've already tried.

Is this your first surround sound receiver? If so, one thing that sometimes happens to folks is that their source equipment (you PS4 and computer) is set to output stereo sound. Double check that you have them set to output surround sound.

There is a stereo mode on the 522, with an easy way to engage it being to push the "Stereo" button located near the middle portion of the remote control. If your incoming material is stereo, you can click the button on the remote next to that one labeled "ALC/STANDARD" that will cycle through some surround sound modes (which will convert a stereo input signal to surround that should play on all of your speakers). That can be an easy way to check before you go through the PS4 and computer audio settings to see if they are set to stereo output.

Also, what does the front panel on the 522 show for the input signal (look on the bottom of the display, around the left hand side and center)?

M

matthew shull

Audiophyte
i have my computer set up with a fiber optic and the red and white cables ive tride changing the alc/standard to get surround on both of them with the signal select and it still only plays in left and right front speakers i have it set threw the alc/standard to play in dolby prologic 2 movie ive tride with both cables on pc. pc is set to 5.1 audio im still only getting front left and right no center no surround
11034839_716463505118456_1961514749_o.jpg
11034839_716463505118456_1961514749_o.jpg 11034839_716463505118456_1961514749_o.jpg
11034839_716463505118456_1961514749_o.jpg 11034839_716463505118456_1961514749_o.jpg 11039460_716468571784616_1691348817_n.jpg
11039460_716468571784616_1691348817_n.jpg

M

matthew shull

Audiophyte
ive now got it playing in surround if i change to to alc/standard on dolby prollogic 2 but not when its on auto surround/stream direct

T

Traison

Audiophyte
Hello. I have been using my VSX-522-K for about 2 years, dont remember exactly. I have a 5.1 system setup and one day it just stopped playing sound, I still get video but no audio. I had everything working fine with no issues. I have checked that it is set to AMP, the speakers are turned on, its not set to stereo and I have tried all 4 HDMI ports with 3 different game consoles, each one giving the same results. I have tried to do the factory restore thing that is in the manual but I cannot get that to work for me. Are there any tests you know of to find out if the receiver is just broken?

Edit: Also want to point out I dont get any static from the sp setup in the ocd. I'm almost at the point where I am going to rewire everything just a for a chance of it working >_>

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis