No audio - Pioneer VSX-522-K

ignitedaz

ignitedaz

Audiophyte
Hello, I just purchased the Pioneer receiver and have hooked it to my tv with an hdmi cable going from the hdmi out to my Hitachi Plasma tv and also have an optical audio cable hooked up as well. I cannot get the initial setup screen to display on my tv and also I have my XBOX hooked up to the "Game" hdmi connection and can get video but no audio. I can though get audio from my Ipod which is connected to the front USB.

Any ideas on what I can do to get it working?

Thanks!

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Welcome to the forum!

Per the VSX-522-K owner's manual, page 14, the OSD will only be displayed over an RCA video connection - it will not work over HDMI. That's pretty inconvenient, but that's what the manual says.

Regarding audio over HDMI, check out page 28 of the manual. You'll want to make sure that the HDMI audio is set to "AMP" instead of "THRU." It will only play audio through the receiver if that is set to "AMP" (which is the default, though, so it should already be set to it). Perhaps you need to set something up on the Xbox to output audio through the HDMI jack?

T

Tangodown

Audiophyte
Ihave the same issue except with a different config.
HDMI cables are high speed.
From the cable box to the CBL input, from the HDMI out to the TV
This produces a video without sound, the parameter setting is "amp"

From the OSD, MCACC runs with success, the HDMI settings are a little suspect to me. ARC is set to on, the Standby Through is set to last.
I am not sure whar ro check next.

Cable Box is HD
T is LG 55LD520

T

Tangodown

Audiophyte
The recvr is working fine now. I had to crank the volume to drive the Klipsch
speakers looks like I have impedence issues

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Welcome to the forum, Tangodown!

I'm glad that you got the audio working - I was just looking through the manual again and couldn't find anything obvious.

What do you need to set the volume at to hear your speakers?

R

ravi172003

Enthusiast
VSX 522k

just a week back i bought this pioneer vsx 522k av receiver ! i receive sound from all speaker ... but no sound from subwoofer and i done all need that is speaker setup manu ! and i dont know .... i didnt receive signal from sub pre out please help me :(

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
just a week back i bought this pioneer vsx 522k av receiver ! i receive sound from all speaker ... but no sound from subwoofer and i done all need that is speaker setup manu ! and i dont know .... i didnt receive signal from sub pre out please help me :(
Welcome to the forum!

In the speaker setup menu, are your speakers set to "small" and the subwoofer set to "yes"?

R

ravi172003

Enthusiast
Welcome to the forum!

In the speaker setup menu, are your speakers set to "small" and the subwoofer set to "yes"?
ya ! done that tooo .... am not receiving sound from sub

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Got it. Some questions:
  • Is the sub turned on? (Not trying to be patronizing! Just double checking.)
  • Is the sub set to turn on with a signal, or is it always on? If it's set to turn on with a signal, what is the sub level set at on the Pioneer? If it's really low, you might need to turn the volume down on the sub and the sub level up on the Pioneer - this will send a higher signal level from the Pioneer to the sub, which makes it easier to trigger the input sensor on the sub and have it turn on.
  • What are you listening to? There might not be much/any bass in it.

R

ravi172003

Enthusiast
Got it. Some questions:
  • Is the sub turned on? (Not trying to be patronizing! Just double checking.)
  • Is the sub set to turn on with a signal, or is it always on? If it's set to turn on with a signal, what is the sub level set at on the Pioneer? If it's really low, you might need to turn the volume down on the sub and the sub level up on the Pioneer - this will send a higher signal level from the Pioneer to the sub, which makes it easier to trigger the input sensor on the sub and have it turn on.
  • What are you listening to? There might not be much/any bass in it.
ya ! my sub is always on .....but i will check these things .... and can i get your number ? i will speak through phone and make clarification while setting up the sub .... i am really worried ... coz i have invested lot in it....

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
.... and can i get your number ? i will speak through phone and make clarification while setting up the sub ....
Nice of you to ask, but I don't give out my phone number on the internet.

However, I'm happy to spend as much time as it takes to help you get this working.

Btw, which subwoofer are you using?

R

ravi172003

Enthusiast
Nice of you to ask, but I don't give out my phone number on the internet.

However, I'm happy to spend as much time as it takes to help you get this working.

Btw, which subwoofer are you using?
its 8" sub woofer ! with powered amplifier !

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
its designed by my uncle ! he is an engineer ! there is no model/ manufacturer
Very cool. Have you ever used the sub before, or is this the first time? I'm wondering if you know for sure if it works. This might be an issue with the receiver, with the sub, with the physical connections, or with a setting. I'm just trying to help narrow down which it might be so that we can get it working.

R

ravi172003

Enthusiast
Very cool. Have you ever used the sub before, or is this the first time? I'm wondering if you know for sure if it works. This might be an issue with the receiver, with the sub, with the physical connections, or with a setting. I'm just trying to help narrow down which it might be so that we can get it working.
ya ! this sub works fine previously.... and the amp is also works fine with other amp setup.... and sub also works fine .... but with this pioneer its not working .... do you have any yahoo messange or some quick chatting to correct quick ?

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Sorry - no chatting for me.

Are you able to take some pictures of your set up and the connections that you've made? That can help us troubleshoot it for you.

Also, are you using the same RCA cable that you used in your previous working setup?

C

carlincali

Audiophyte
Also having problems setting up Pioneer VSX-522-K

Hi,

I also am having problems setting up my new Pioneer VSX-522-K. I used to have a Pioneer VSX-816-K and it worked fine but after nearly 10 years of use it needed replaced.

I have the Left, Right, Center and Subwoofer speakers working well after connecting the VSX-522-K however, I'm not getting adequate sound out of the Left and Right Surround speakers. I tried the auto MCACC set up with the microphone, but I think that due to my cable set up I am unable to utilize the OSD (On Screen Display). In fact, when I read the instructions on manual set up it advises the use of composite connections. I don't even know what that means, and it seems ridiculous that better quality connections won't enable automatic or manual setup.

What are the setup options for users that can't get the OSD Home Menu to appear for proper setup? Is there a temporary work around to get things set up to my liking?

Thanks.

M

Matheny4251

Audiophyte
I am also having trouble hooking up my Pioneer reciever i cant get audio from my tv or Iphone but i can from my xbox. I am using an optical audio for my tv which cant get sound?

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I am also having trouble hooking up my Pioneer reciever i cant get audio from my tv or Iphone but i can from my xbox. I am using an optical audio for my tv which cant get sound?
Welcome to the forum! I got your PM, but I figured that I'd respond here.

Let's start with the TV audio. Some things that come to mind:
1. Make sure that the optical cable doesn't have the dust caps (the plastic tips) on the ends. Sometimes people don't realize that those need to be removed.
2. On the Pioneer, after you select the "TV" input source, make sure that the signal input is "O1" (check out page 21 of the owner's manual). If it isn't, press the "SIGNAL SEL" button on the remote control until the signal changes to "O1."
3. You might need to disable your TV's speakers to get audio from its optical jack (probably not, but worth checking if nothing above works). You can let us know your TV make and model if you need help with that.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis