No 5.1 sound (Netflix, Apple TV, AFTV, roku)

M

miggs

Audioholic Intern
How do I get 5.1 sound in my Yamaha rxv-1700? It does not support DD+?

This is driving me crazy!!!!!!

Last edited:
everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Maybe if you provided a detailed explanation of your setup including model numbers, we might be able to help.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Ok so I don't have to wait DD+ is backwards compatible with Dolby digital, so either settings or connections.

M

miggs

Audioholic Intern
My receiver model is described in the post. I am looking for any streaming device that can put out 5.1 from Netflix, Amazon prime or Hulu?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
HOW DO
My receiver model is described in the post. I am looking for any streaming device that can put out 5.1 from Netflix, Amazon prime or Hulu?
And how do you have things connected? The number one mistake that usually causes this is sending all the signals to the TV first then the receiver. It should be the other way around. Most TVs do not correctly pass the 5.1 signal through, or at the very least, have to be configured to do so.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
So what do you have now, and how is it connected, that you are trying to use to stream Netflix, Amazon prime or Hulu?

M

miggs

Audioholic Intern
So what do you have now, and how is it connected, that you are trying to use to stream Netflix, Amazon prime or Hulu?
I am streaming from Panasonic BD45 connected by hdmi to receiver. HDMI out from receiver to tv. I have also tried to stream from wiiU to receiver. Again all going to receiver set to "straight" pcm. All I get is stereo from Netflix or Amazon prime. I am just wondering if any other streaming devices will work or do I need a new receiver with DD+.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The receiver is set to straight pcm or is the player? Look at page 26 of the manual for the player, did you already try the Dolby setting? PCM usually does mean 2.0.....

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Look at the audio section on the Panasonic.
Dolby Digital/DTS: Bitstream
Downmix: Stereo
Audio HDMI: Auto not PCM
If this does not work get the HDMI cable I suggested & leave on these settings. LMK.
You can also try an optical cable as well.

M

miggs

Audioholic Intern
Look at the audio section on the Panasonic.
Dolby Digital/DTS: Bitstream
Downmix: Stereo
Audio HDMI: Auto not PCM
If this does not work get the HDMI cable I suggested & leave on these settings. LMK.
You can also try an optical cable as well.

I tried everything but the cable. However, why would it be the type of cable? Everything is HDMI. I really don't want to buy another receiver, this is so frustrating!!!!!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What happened when you tried the bitstream/Dolby settings?

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Could be the HDMI cable does not supportit via netflix. I had a Roku and same thing with Netflix. I got that cable and to my surprise it worked. Nothing to lose send it back to amazon and get refunded. Can you take a pic of your audio settings on the Panasonic BD player? Also a pic of your Roku box audio settings. Also check your HDMI setting on the Yamaha(Pic too).

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Still 2 channel (L,R).
Are your subscriptions to netflix and others such that they are sending you the upgraded audio?

And, even with 2 channels, if your receiver setup is correct, you should at least be getting prologic reception and output from the receiver.

Looks like a receiver setup issue, for now.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Netflix's Daredevil is in Dolby D+ please use that as a source.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Netflix's Daredevil is in Dolby D+ please use that as a source.
Yes, good example. Even in my 2.1 in family room, some of that phase differences somehow places some of the sounds in other than the front locations.

M

miggs

Audioholic Intern
I tried daredevil and indeed all I got was stereo. All movies and or shows are just in stereo in netflix. The blue ray player is set to bitstream and the receiver to auto. Not PCM. I have no issues with blue rays, or directv. This is only with Netflix. Is anyone else dealing with this? I am willing to try any of the streaming devices, but not if they are going to produce the same thing as the blue ray player (stereo stream).

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I tried daredevil and indeed all I got was stereo. All movies and or shows are just in stereo in netflix. The blue ray player is set to bitstream and the receiver to auto. Not PCM. I have no issues with blue rays, or directv. This is only with Netflix. Is anyone else dealing with this? I am willing to try any of the streaming devices, but not if they are going to produce the same thing as the blue ray player (stereo stream).
So there is no menu choice for your Netflix app (when looking at a particular show) to choose which audio stream you want, it just is 2.0 without choice? Or is there a 5.1 choice that simply comes out as 2.0?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis