Newbie question about subwoofer crossover / cutoff

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I think I might have found a good solution. The hsu research sub (350$ model) has both high level input and output, from amp and out to speakers. I feel like this would work great....what do you guys think?!
We already discussed that option in our original discussion. That is what we referred to as a speaker level input.

It will work, however that is a low quality connection. The reason being that it is a passive crossover at a low frequency and nowhere near as good as an active connection with electronic crossover.

In fact you will be much better off running your Wharfedales full range and using the line out from your amp to the sub, and just supplementing your speakers, than that connection.

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Can you guys recommend any good stereo amp/receivers (there are so many) that would allow for this? Thanks again for all the info. Budget is less than 500$
$500 could probably get you a refurbished Denon AVR-X3100W that is tough to beat for $450, or $650 for a new one. It has preouts so you can add external amps when it becomes necessary. They ship to US only.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavrx3100w/denon-avr-x3100w-7.2-receiver-wi-fi/bluetooth/airplay/1.html

Or get an active crossover, the dbX is now on sale for $180

http://dbxpro.com/en/product_families/crossovers

Or get an Rythmik sub and pay extra (probably around $80) and they will customize (fixed frequency, e.g. 89 Hz) an active filter for you. I have one and noticed no sound quality degradation at all.

http://www.rythmikaudio.com/L12.html

L

Lucas Paul

Enthusiast
Okay I got the marantz 1506/ and ran a quick setup on one of my TVs. I have it plugged in to my PC. Connection is HDMI PC < receiver media HDMI port. I am getting no sounds from the PC. My question now is, does this receiver need to be plugged into a TV? I was hoping I could just have it plugged in to the PC without an HDMI output... Am I SOL ? Any suggestions?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Okay I got the marantz 1506/ and ran a quick setup on one of my TVs. I have it plugged in to my PC. Connection is HDMI PC < receiver media HDMI port. I am getting no sounds from the PC. My question now is, does this receiver need to be plugged into a TV? I was hoping I could just have it plugged in to the PC without an HDMI output... Am I SOL ? Any suggestions?
Do you know if your computer card supports repeater HDMI architecture?

It may be that the card will only connect to an end unit like a TV.

A receiver is required to have repeater architecture, as it receives and sends HDMI. The device sending over HDMI to the receiver must support repeater architecture.

Does you computer produce a picture and sound when connected to a TV?

Does that HDMI port produce sound and a picture from your receiver if you connect it to a BD or DVD player?

You are going to have to do some investigating to get to the bottom of this.

The receiver should not have to be plugged into the TV after set up, although that would be best.

I have a hunch this is an HDMI handshake issue.

L

Lucas Paul

Enthusiast
Wow. TLS guy. I updated graphics drivers and the HDMI passes right through the receiver to the computer monitor and works great now. Thanks to everyone for the suggestions and help :) cheers

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Wow. TLS guy. I updated graphics drivers and the HDMI passes right through the receiver to the computer monitor and works great now. Thanks to everyone for the suggestions and help :) cheers
I'm glad you solved this. This last issue was a hard one to solve without actually being at your system.

I think I got you vaguely in the right direction with my last post.

I think once you get used to the system you will want to use a connected widescreen TV between yours speakers than you now realize.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis