New Years Resolutions?

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Folks as 2009 comes to a close, I can't help but wonder if any of you have any New Years resolutions that pertain to your ht/audio gear? As some of you know, I moved into a small apartment where having a ht is a big no no. As such, I am looking at a couple of ways to enhance the audio in my 37" Vizio LCD. Of course, money is always a concern as I simply don't have much. However, there are a couple of things I am considering. More to come on that at a later date. In the mean time, just thought some of the members here might want to share some of their plans for 2010 with the rest of us. Well then, here is your chance to do just that. Any takers? Feel free to elaborate. ;):);)

Cheers,

Phil

itschris

itschris

Well Phil, apartments are not the only place where HT's are a no-no... apparently my house is too! It's become ever more difficult to use my setup. There's always someone using it or causing too much of a commotion to allow me to enjoy it.

My honest NY resolution will be to make time to enjoy my system... to listen to music and watch some movies as loud as I want, uninterrupted. I just have to plan better. When they're gone has to be my time and I need to utilze it.

One the kids here has an apartment by our office. I went there to help him setup his new TV and receiver. In an apartment, it's really not the volume but the bass that drives people crazy. Back in my old condo, the guy a couple doors down from me was a gamer and he played constantly. At 2am, you could just barely hear and feel the bass and it was maddening. To be honest, he barely had it up at all, but the bass just does carry. it was just the very faint muffled noise that drove me nuts. I suggested to Brian who has the apartment to invest in some good headphones to solve his problem. He seemed crestfallen at first, but has since told me that it was the best idea he's ever gotten. I've been over there and it's odd, but when you have the big headphones on, you sort of get lost in the sound. You still sort of get that surround effect because there's just so much going on in your ears.. it's like your brain sync your eyes to the sound you hear and it sill feels like the dialogue is coming from the TV. Give it a shot, it may be a good alternative. All the best to you this new year my friend.

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
Im gonna try to be more tolerent of Alex and Adam's special relationship :D

droht

droht

Full Audioholic
More listening to music and watching movies. Less system tweaking. Way less time online "talking" about it.

mperfct

mperfct

Audioholic Samurai
There are a couple of to-do's that would be nice...

Redo screen to reduce moire
Put up a star ceiling
Put up curtains over the entry doors
Replace my Harmony 1000 if it doesn't start playing nicely

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
Hey Phil,
Sorry about your HT down size.
Have you considered a soundbar. It certainly won't be a solution to the bass problem, but I've heard some pretty promising things about them in space limited rooms. Just a thought.

As for me; Being the charitable person that I am :rolleyes: It looks like I'll be stimulating the local economy in a month or two and getting the Oppo BD player from the AH store.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I resolve to buy my first house so I can have a workshop to build these speakers and a home theater to put them. The other reason is I'm tired of watching reruns of friends. I'd prefer some good scifi watching space.

I also have to learn REW and get that setup going too.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
There are a couple of to-do's that would be nice...

Redo screen to reduce moire
Put up a star ceiling
Put up curtains over the entry doors
Replace my Harmony 1000 if it doesn't start playing nicely
For $200 you can buy a Harmony 1100 and it's a lot, lot, lot better. You'd need to call them to get a coupon number and buy it online. If you want it fast, they can 2nd day ship it for about $16

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Hey Phil,
Sorry about your HT down size.
Have you considered a soundbar. It certainly won't be a solution to the bass problem, but I've heard some pretty promising things about them in space limited rooms. Just a thought.

As for me; Being the charitable person that I am :rolleyes: It looks like I'll be stimulating the local economy in a month or two and getting the Oppo BD player from the AH store.
Yeah, I am looking into the soundbar solution for the time being. However, there really is no big hurry. I also wanted the Oppo BR player, but settled for the Panny BD60 instead. It was much more affordable. Thanks for your suggestion. :);):)

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Well Phil, apartments are not the only place where HT's are a no-no... apparently my house is too! It's become ever more difficult to use my setup. There's always someone using it or causing too much of a commotion to allow me to enjoy it.

My honest NY resolution will be to make time to enjoy my system... to listen to music and watch some movies as loud as I want, uninterrupted. I just have to plan better. When they're gone has to be my time and I need to utilze it.

One the kids here has an apartment by our office. I went there to help him setup his new TV and receiver. In an apartment, it's really not the volume but the bass that drives people crazy. Back in my old condo, the guy a couple doors down from me was a gamer and he played constantly. At 2am, you could just barely hear and feel the bass and it was maddening. To be honest, he barely had it up at all, but the bass just does carry. it was just the very faint muffled noise that drove me nuts. I suggested to Brian who has the apartment to invest in some good headphones to solve his problem. He seemed crestfallen at first, but has since told me that it was the best idea he's ever gotten. I've been over there and it's odd, but when you have the big headphones on, you sort of get lost in the sound. You still sort of get that surround effect because there's just so much going on in your ears.. it's like your brain sync your eyes to the sound you hear and it sill feels like the dialogue is coming from the TV. Give it a shot, it may be a good alternative. All the best to you this new year my friend.
Chris, I do hope you get to enjoy your HT more, as well as, more often. As far as my apartment goes, the walls are paper thin. At least, so it seems. Therefore, volume really is a problem. Bass is an even greater concern. Right now, just want to enhance my LCD speakers so that words are more understandable. Moving plans are in the works. It will, in all likelihood, will take a good while before I can move yet again. Next time I will be more careful in choosing the right place to move to. :):eek::):)

Cheers,

Phil

anamorphic96

anamorphic96

Audioholic General
Well it looks like I will finally be adding my room treatments in January as well as getting the TV upgraded to a 42" LCD. Blue Ray will come later in the year when I see what Oppos new more affordable BR player is priced at.

jinjuku

jinjuku

Hey Phil, speaking of new years resolutions. I am in the 'ville now. When we meeting up?

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I am building my Nephew a system. He is really into music, he is an awesome vocalist, plays a mean guitar, really good on keyboards and plays in a couple of coffee shop bands. All he has, to listen to music, is his IPhone and earbuds. I am taking the opportunity to introduce him into our world.

Now for me: I would like to put a nice display out on the patio.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Hey Phil, speaking of new years resolutions. I am in the 'ville now. When we meeting up?
Are you referring to Evansville? If so, about anytime you want. If, on the other hand, you are in Louisville that can be arraigned too. My vote would be sometime in the Spring where we can set-up an audioholic get-together there. That would be so much fun. We all could learn a few things about each other AND about this great hobby of ours. Let me know. Perhaps, we can get several here to come. ;):);) Here is to a great 2010!

Cheers,

Phil

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis