New Sony SS-CS5 Bookshelf Speakers at Best Buy

F

felipe

Audioholic
I saw those Sonys when I was at BestBuy recently. Didn't get a chance to hear them though. You liked these better than the Pioneers? I'm looking to get a complete 5 speaker setup for my Brother for his new home. They are currently on sale. You reccommend these? Budget is around 800-900. What about these did you like?? TIA zieglj101 ;)

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I saw those Sonys when I was at BestBuy recently. Didn't get a chance to hear them though. You liked these better than the Pioneers? I'm looking to get a complete 5 speaker setup for my Brother for his new home. They are currently on sale. You reccommend these? Budget is around 800-900. What about these did you like?? TIA zieglj101 ;)
Yes, I prefer them over the Pioneer

They are smooth with nice detail - with the sale they are one of the
best deals around for the price.

If you buy them - then run them with a decent subwoofer.

F

felipe

Audioholic
Thanks for your input zieglj01. Think I'll give them a listen at Best Buy...even though a farcry from optimal listening conditions. I'll see how they compare to my Polks..

F

felipe

Audioholic
Good to know KEW. Thanks ;).
Did some online research, it seems that Sony actually put some effort into these Core speakers...specifically braced cabinets, quality xover components, decent looking drivers. I'll see if all that translates to good sound ..;).

F

felipe

Audioholic
Didn't get a chance to hear the Sonys at my local BB..they took them down to showcase the new Polk T50s. Since they were there, I gave those a brief listen. Overall, not too bad...the Polks I have sound better IMO ;). Looks like I'm going to have to see about another BB near me that has those Sonys on display for a listen. Too bad the sale is gone tho :( ...pretty sure they'll be on sale again for the holidays ;).

M

Mark of Cenla

Full Audioholic
I have listened to both the Pioneer BS22LR and Sony SS-CS5 bookshelf speakers quite a bit, many hours each. The Pioneers are in my classroom (I am a high school teacher), and the Sonys are in my "music" system. The Sonys are much better, much clearer. I do not care if one "good" tweeter should have been used rather than two. I do not care what is in the crossover. I only care about how they sound. At $150 a pair, they were a steal. Peace and goodwill.

N

nfafan

Audioholic Intern
Were these meant to replace the Sony "SS-B3000" speakers? I wonder what replaced the SS-B1000s on the even lower price scale?

M

Mark of Cenla

Full Audioholic
I still have a pair of the SS-B1000's, which are not being used now, and did have a pair of the SS-B3000's, which I gave away. I believe the SS-B1000 and SS-B3000 are discontinued. Sony's website can tell the tale. Peace and goodwill.

N

nfafan

Audioholic Intern
Seen a pair at BBuy, not connected so couldn't hear them - but looked sweet. Will have to see if Amazonians start glomming on to them like they did the SS-B1000s.

T

Tom._White

Enthusiast
Best Buy has them on sale this morning on the website. Don't exactly remember, but I think they are close to $150 a pair.

And yes, they beat the heck out of the Pioneers. Had them both in my home (for stereo use) and it is not close. Was never happier to return a set of speakers than when I took back the Pioneers. Honestly don't know what people see (or hear) in those.

Now I'm wondering how the Sony would compare to a set of the NHT SuperOnes?
Been looking at those, but no place close to hear them.

Last edited:
F

felipe

Audioholic
I saw that sale too. I'm thinking this sale might compete with the Black friday sales that BB will have( hint....1/2 off klipschs ). Let the games begin ;)

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I do think it's interesting the veterans of this forum who had the Andrew Jones speakers (for evaluation mostly) found them to be very good and they were regularly recommended.

I had a pair of the Andrew Jones Pioneer towers, I thought they sounded OK. They certainly didn't come anywhere close to as good as my much older Infinity IL10 bookshelf speakers and to be honest they didn't have much more bass extension over the Infinitys either.

What is even more curious is that so far none of the Pioneer Andrew Jones diehards have step foot in this thread to make any sort of comment, none of them have even expressed a modicum of interest in evaluating these Sony speakers.

Maybe it's because the Sony's don't have a renowned speaker designer's name plastered all over the product, or maybe they just turn their noses up toward Sony's audio endeavors because of the reputation they have.

In any case I've never had a Sony audio product that I felt wasn't fairly priced. I know they make some that aren't, but they're fairly competitive in the entry level to mid-fi market IMHO.

anamorphic96

anamorphic96

Audioholic General
I do think it's interesting the veterans of this forum who had the Andrew Jones speakers (for evaluation mostly) found them to be very good and they were regularly recommended.

I had a pair of the Andrew Jones Pioneer towers, I thought they sounded OK. They certainly didn't come anywhere close to as good as my much older Infinity IL10 bookshelf speakers and to be honest they didn't have much more bass extension over the Infinitys either.

What is even more curious is that so far none of the Pioneer Andrew Jones diehards have step foot in this thread to make any sort of comment, none of them have even expressed a modicum of interest in evaluating these Sony speakers.

Maybe it's because the Sony's don't have a renowned speaker designer's name plastered all over the product, or maybe they just turn their noses up toward Sony's audio endeavors because of the reputation they have.

In any case I've never had a Sony audio product that I felt wasn't fairly priced. I know they make some that aren't, but they're fairly competitive in the entry level to mid-fi market IMHO.
I own the BS41's and think the Sony's sound much better. Very underrated speakers IMO. The Pioneers while very good are not nearly as good as the hype.

I would much rather have some old Boston A series speakers or pretty much any ADS speaker if I was on a tight speaker budget.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I own the BS41's and think the Sony's sound much better. Very underrated speakers IMO. The Pioneers while very good are not nearly as good as the hype.
That was more or less the impression I had after hearing the ones I had.

They were a fairly uneventful speaker. Maybe that's what they liked about it. It didn't call attention to itself.

I like my speakers to have a bit of liveliness to them.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis