New Sony SS-CS5 Bookshelf Speakers at Best Buy

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Looks like Sony wants to get into the budget friendly speaker ring.
I saw them at Best Buy >> they look decent, not a good place to
audition - however, they sounded more clear and open than Pioneer.
They also have the towers, which also sounded decent - plus there
is a center channel

However just like the Pioneer, I would skip their subwoofer.

Sony Core Series 5" 3Way Bookshelf Speakers Pair SSCS5 - Best Buy

Last edited:
D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
One is a so-called super-tweeter
It's kind of a variation on the Pioneer FS-52 theme, only it's multiple woofers there. I think the marketing people just told the designers that more drivers look cooler and sell better than simpler designs. I haven't seen or tested the Sony's, but my instinctive reaction is that the extra driver cost could be better spent on the crossover.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
It's kind of a variation on the Pioneer FS-52 theme, only it's multiple woofers there. I think the marketing people just told the designers that more drivers look cooler and sell better than simpler designs. I haven't seen or tested the Sony's, but my instinctive reaction is that the extra driver cost could be better spent on the crossover.
The extra driver cost would be better spent on something that is "Not Sony"

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
The extra driver cost would be better spent on something that is "Not Sony"
I'm not sure about these speakers, however, the Sony ES upper echelon towers sound quite excellent and utilize premium drivers. They were a big hit at CES last year powered by Pass Lab amps.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I'm not sure about these speakers, however, the Sony ES upper echelon towers sound quite excellent and utilize premium drivers. They were a big hit at CES last year powered by Pass Lab amps.
Yeah, I've read that a few times. But at that price point.....I'll pass.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I agree that it is more of a marketing gimmick - at $219 a pair, they are above the
Pioneer list price. The center is $169 each and the towers are $239 each. It looks
like their target is higher than Pioneer - most likely Klipsch and Polk. Time will tell.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Super tweeter was somehow a better idea than just getting one GOOD tweeter for the price of two lesser drivers? Hate to say it too, but it looks like a 90s design. I have a pair of small bookshelf speakers from them that came with my "executive" system and they do sound decent. Sony has some OK speakers here and there.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Super tweeter was somehow a better idea than just getting one GOOD tweeter for the price of two lesser drivers? Hate to say it too, but it looks like a 90s design. I have a pair of small bookshelf speakers from them that came with my "executive" system and they do sound decent. Sony has some OK speakers here and there.
I tend to agree. I'd rather have 1 high quality tweeter than 2 so so tweeters to simply increase output or power handling. I also don't like complicating the crossover if you don't have to. A simple two-way with really good drivers is hard to beat. That being said, I'd still like to hear these :)

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I tend to agree. I'd rather have 1 high quality tweeter than 2 so so tweeters to simply increase output or power handling. I also don't like complicating the crossover if you don't have to. A simple two-way with really good drivers is hard to beat. That being said, I'd still like to hear these :)
I want to buy them - however, I am going to pass at this time.

I am buying some auto speakers, to replace the stock speakers in
the used Pontiac Grand AM that I just bought.

However maybe somebody will pick them up, and give some more insight.
They are about the same size as the Pioneer and weigh a few ounces more.
No fancy finish on the box or grill - seem to have put more into the parts.

Last edited:
M

Mark of Cenla

Full Audioholic
I bought a pair yesterday at Best Buy for $150. I compared them to Pioneer SP-BS22LR's and Boston Acoustics CS26's. To me the Sonys easily beat the Pioneers, and I am a fan of the Pioneers. The Sonys are much more detailed and much clearer in the midrange. I am listening to them right now, and to me they sound great. I am using them with a subwoofer, but I have also listened to them without a sub, and they sound fine. They are similar to my Bostons in sound quality. The Sonys have better midrange and overall detail, but the bass and highs are better in the Bostons. I am quite happy with these Sony SS-CS5 bookshelf speakers.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Yes, Sony is my clear choice over the Pioneer BS22 speakers, and there
is no built in treble rise with the Sony - and they have a small downward
slope from 1 khz down. They beat a lot more expensive speakers with the
measurements, as they are +/- 3.4 db form 70 to 20 khz > they seem to
have done a nice job with the two tweeters. The $149 sale price, is a real
good one for the Sony speakers.

The Boston CS26, is somewhat thin in the midrange, my preference is still
the Sony speakers.

Last edited:
fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
have done a nice job with the two tweeters. The $145 sale price, is a real

the Sony speakers.
What about the Sony's vs the Dennis modded Pio's?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
have done a nice job with the two tweeters. The $149 sale price, is a real

the Sony speakers.
I take it you have listened to them more than just the time at BB?
Do they keep up with BS-22 for bass extension and overall SPL?
Just wondering if there are any caveats associated with the Sony's as compared to the PIO's.
Really gratifying that budget offerings are getting a jolt of quality into their design. Perhaps PIO threw down the gauntlet and others are/will rise to the challenge.
Nice to have such options.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I take it you have listened to them more than just the time at BB?
Do they keep up with BS-22 for bass extension and overall SPL?
Just wondering if there are any caveats associated with the Sony's as compared to the PIO's.
Really gratifying that budget offerings are getting a jolt of quality into their design. Perhaps PIO threw down the gauntlet and others are/will rise to the challenge.
Nice to have such options.
Only several times at Best Buy so far - if I needed a set of budget speakers today,
then I for sure would buy them - I have no place for them and I do not know what
to do with them, if I bought them. My brother has my Cambridge modded speakers.

I have listened to them enough, to pick up their tonal character and sonic signature.
Sony did target Pioneer when they designed them and did it without raising the treble,
to make them stand out. However, the Sony is more open and clear and focus to me.
The Pioneer sounds a little more boomy and slightly muddy and closed in - the Pioneer
seems like it will go lower in the bass - the Sony sensitivity is a little higher. The Sony
feels/seems like it will be able to take some good power.

I still would like to buy them and give them my special shake down - I may still do that,
if I can figure out what to do with them. I almost bought them again today, when I was
at Best Buy - I had the box in my hand.:)

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I still would like to buy them and give them my special shake down - I may still do that,
if I can figure out what to do with them. I almost bought them again today, when I was
at Best Buy - I had the box in my hand.:)
Easy, just return them to Best Buy after you're done. Realistically, you've easily helped them move enough of the PIOs that they should be giving the Sonys to you!
But you return them and somebody gets a nice deal on open box speakers. Win-win!

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Easy, just return them to Best Buy after you're done. Realistically, you've easily helped them move enough of the PIOs that they should be giving the Sonys to you!
But you return them and somebody gets a nice deal on open box speakers. Win-win!
I have a feeling, I may be stopping by on Friday at the local Best Buy.
I am ready to do another speaker shake-down.:)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis