new receiver OR subwoofer

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I'd have been booted out of an apartment a long time ago with what I have now, I still crank it up every once in while.

I'm beginning to wonder if I should go with the 12" ported in cel's post. reading the specs it looks like ported will go significantly deeper and the port tuning is already done. they show exactly what to buy and how to cut and connect them.
You could go with these ported boxes and build yourself some nice 15" subs, no serious cutting required :)
http://www.diysoundgroup.com/ported-subwoofers-1/15-cube.html

Or if that's too big, here's a 12" http://www.diysoundgroup.com/ported-subwoofers-1/4-ported-sub-flat-pack.html.

They already specify the drivers that go with them. I think you'd do fine :)
I still like the lesser cost and simplicity of a sealed box, but am I going to wish I'd gone ported when it's done?

just to keep it simple (and keep costs down) I think I'll stick with the inuke amp with dsp. input gain would be nice, but would I need it? what are the advantages? I read that entire thread you linked that measured power ratings for it and looks like it will sufficiently drive those woofers at 4 ohms. it also looks like there are some complicated eq options. I have so little experience with equalizers of any kind. exactly what all is involved with eq'ing a subwoofer? do I need to have the equipment for spl measurements and so on? I'm already looking at going over budget.

I was gonna just go with binding posts, but I like what you linked and they don't cost an arm and a leg. looks like a rca to xlr adaptor won't break the bank either.

I'm beginning to see my new subs. at first I was imagining 2 powered subs. I wasn't even considering passive with an outboard amp. that's a game changer and a lot easier on the budget and build. I'll probably be placing the amp right in the stand under the tv. you said it's kinda noisy. will it be audible over normal listening levels? I sit about 14 or 15 feet from the tv. if the fans only kick on at volume I don't think it would bother me.

Last edited:
cel4145

cel4145

Audioholic
I still like the lesser cost and simplicity of a sealed box, but am I going to wish I'd gone ported when it's done?
Depends on the size of your room and your expectation for low end extension. Sealed can get room gain in small to medium sized rooms and thus sometimes end up with better low end extension than ported. In larger rooms, ported may be the better way to go in this regard.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
my listening area is about 15 x 15', sitting about 14' from the tv/front speakers. this opens up into the kitchen/dining room area behind me which adds an additional 20' in length to the overall size of the room, making it 35 x 15'. it also opens up into a den on the right side of the listening area through an open arch. the den is 10 x 12'. add to that, vaulted ceilings. 12' at the peak.

I'm not necessarily looking for super sub sonic, but the 10's I have now get muddy and weak with some of the bass drops in the music I listen to. something that digs well into the lower 30 to upper 20 hz range with some authority.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'd have been booted out of an apartment a long time ago with what I have now, I still crank it up every once in while.

I'm beginning to wonder if I should go with the 12" ported in cel's post. reading the specs it looks like ported will go significantly deeper and the port tuning is already done. they show exactly what to buy and how to cut and connect them.

just to keep it simple (and keep costs down) I think I'll stick with the inuke amp with dsp. input gain would be nice, but would I need it? what are the advantages? I read that entire thread you linked that measured power ratings for it and looks like it will sufficiently drive those woofers at 4 ohms. it also looks like there are some complicated eq options. I have so little experience with equalizers of any kind. exactly what all is involved with eq'ing a subwoofer? do I need to have the equipment for spl measurements and so on? I'm already looking at going over budget.

I was gonna just go with binding posts, but I like what you linked and they don't cost an arm and a leg. looks like a rca to xlr adaptor won't break the bank either.

I'm beginning to see my new subs. at first I was imagining 2 powered subs. I wasn't even considering passive with an outboard amp. that's a game changer and a lot easier on the budget and build. I'll probably be placing the amp right in the stand under the tv. you said it's kinda noisy. will it be audible over normal listening levels? I sit about 14 or 15 feet from the tv. if the fans only kick on at volume I don't think it would bother me.
Ported will give you an advantage in output from tuning point up to 40Hz or so. If you go ported you will need dsp to apply a high pass filter around the tuning point to protect the driver (sealed doesn't require this from dsp, but can benefit from some boost to help flatten response). It's always best to have measurement gear to know what's going on. A measurement mic and REW software goes a long ways for not very much $$. Ported boxes tend to be larger but if size isn't an issue you may well be better off going ported. The Behringer iNuke fans may be too loud unmodded from most accounts for living room use without being annoying.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
okay, I'm still considering diy, but have been looking at these . even just 1 to start would probably be a fairly significant improvement over what I have now, no? if I can find a deal I might even have the funds for 2 of them, and if I don't find a deal it would still only be a couple hundred more total for 2 of the svs already built over building my own, right?

*edit: size not being a big issue, would this be a better option?

and I just saw there's a discount for buying 2 of them.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yes a pair of either the SB or PB 1000s would be better than what you've got. Maybe a pair of these.

A pair of DIY 15"s or 18"s would be better still and more cost effective. Depends how you value your time/effort, too.

Decisions decisions :)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Or a pair of these! Wouldn't be much thought of upgrading for a long while....just a little over budget....

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Very good sale on the Hsu VTF2 mk4s, you will not find a driver as good as the one used there in a sub anywhere near that cost. Its the same driver used in the old VTF3s and Outlaw LFMs which were very good 12" drivers. That will give you very clean bass.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Or a pair of these! Wouldn't be much thought of upgrading for a long while....just a little over budget....
good lord. even if I could afford it, way too much for my humble little home. lol. just out of curiosity, will a 15 or 18" sub work well with bookshelf speakers? there wouldn't be too much of a gap between woofer sizes for a good crossover point? I really don't know, just curious.
Very good sale on the Hsu VTF2 mk4s, you will not find a driver as good as the one used there in a sub anywhere near that cost. Its the same driver used in the old VTF3s and Outlaw LFMs which were very good 12" drivers. That will give you very clean bass.
that looks pretty sweet too. and there are options to go ported or sealed?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
good lord. even if I could afford it, way too much for my humble little home. lol. just out of curiosity, will a 15 or 18" sub work well with bookshelf speakers? there wouldn't be too much of a gap between woofer sizes for a good crossover point? I really don't know, just curious.

that looks pretty sweet too. and there are options to go ported or sealed?
The size of the woofer doesn't matter too much. You just don't want the size to woofer size affect the linearity of the speaker system as a whole, for example you do not want to try to have a large diameter woofer play at too high of a frequency because it will project high frequency in a much narrower radiation pattern than a smaller driver. This isn't a problem in subwoofer bands at all, so they can be any size, just as long as they can handle the output they are asked to play, and so in that case, bigger is better.

And yes, the VTF2 can be used in sealed and ported configurations.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I can get a sb 1000 locally right now for $250. well, a couple hours drive. looks like new and can be demoed.

*edit: I contacted the owner. he's firm on $250, but willing to meet me half way for the drive. apparently it's still under warranty too. is this something I should jump on? getting a 2nd at regular retail puts me at or under budget for the pair.

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I can get a sb 1000 locally right now for $250. well, a couple hours drive. looks like new and can be demoed.

*edit: I contacted the owner. he's firm on $250, but willing to meet me half way for the drive. apparently it's still under warranty too. is this something I should jump on? getting a 2nd at regular retail puts me at or under budget for the pair.
bump

about to attempt talking my wife into the drive... is this a venture worth taking or should I hold out?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
bump

about to attempt talking my wife into the drive... is this a venture worth taking or should I hold out?
Dunno about taking wives to pickup audio gear but I would prefer to make sure used gear is fully functioning but if he doesnt set it up well then judging audio quality may not be ideal.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Dunno about taking wives to pickup audio gear but I would prefer to make sure used gear is fully functioning but if he doesnt set it up well then judging audio quality may not be ideal.
Making the trip all the way to Tucson, solo. Going to audition this bad boy and see what's up. It's a pretty long drive for me, but for 250? The owner has the original packaging and everything with it. Supposedly still under warranty.

D

Diesel57

Full Audioholic

On your way back, pick me up a 12 pack of Warsteiner beer...Cheers

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
got back a little while ago. it's like brand new. still had the packing slip and receipt sealed in the original plastic envelope taped to the box. and it is indeed still under warranty.

http://tucson.craigslist.org/ele/5763492726.html

svs lives up to the hype. I still have to play around with it some more, but I'm very happy with this little sub. so much cleaner than the rpw 10's. I'd rather listen to it by itself than the 2 10's together, though I pretty much I HAVE to get a 2nd one now...

thanks for all the suggestions.

diesel, that 12 pack didn't make the long journey back...

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I found another one much closer for $450, OBO. I'm gonna see how much I can OBO him tomorrow. if he won't come down much I'd rather spend the extra 50 and just get new.

D

Diesel57

Full Audioholic
got back a little while ago. it's like brand new. still had the packing slip and receipt sealed in the original plastic envelope taped to the box. and it is indeed still under warranty.

svs lives up to the hype. I still have to play around with it some more, but I'm very happy with this little sub. so much cleaner than the rpw 10's. I'd rather listen to it by itself than the 2 10's together, though I pretty much I HAVE to get a 2nd one now...

thanks for all the suggestions.

diesel, that 12 pack didn't make the long journey back...
Concretes:), after I read your post about the opportunity to get svs 1000 with the price and conditions of the deal, I hope he don't get a speeding ticket:), enjoy...Cheers

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
got to spend some quality time tweaking everything in and really listening.

I think it was Rojo who made the analogy of a guy who eats grains soaked in water his entire life and is handed a mcdonald's hamburger. that burger is the most delicious that guy has had in his life because he has no point of reference.

I've been eating happy meals this whole time! it's not just a little better than what I had. it's a lot better. I'm calling the drive worth it.

hd, you almost had me going the diy route, but when I stumbled across that deal I couldn't resist. I'll be getting a second sb 1000 soon. even if it means just getting a new one since it's in my budget now. :D

thank you again for all your help and replying to all of my questions. I really do appreciate that you took the time. if there's one thing I've learned from this site (and I've learned more than 1 thing), it's just how little I know compared to what I thought I knew. this is a great place for guidance and info if you just ask the right questions. you guys rock.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis