new receiver OR subwoofer

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Glad you improved your subwoofage, always a good thing in my book. You can catch up later :)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I found another one much closer for $450, OBO. I'm gonna see how much I can OBO him tomorrow. if he won't come down much I'd rather spend the extra 50 and just get new.
I OBO'd him down to 375, but passed. I had no more than 350 in my head. I'm about ready to just order a new one, but now 375 isn't sounding too bad. I can get an open box from a certified seller with a warranty for 450, delivered. what to do...

should I just spend the extra 75 for the warranty? the other guy is sticking firm to 375 because he said it's barely used and still like new.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
For small differences in price I'd go new, just the way I am, need a significant discount to buy used....375 instead of 500 would probably have done it for me, whereas 450 certainly wouldn't have....and believe the SVS warranty is transferable.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
For small differences in price I'd go new, just the way I am, need a significant discount to buy used....375 instead of 500 would probably have done it for me, whereas 450 certainly wouldn't have....and believe the SVS warranty is transferable.
that's pretty much where I'm at too. if I coulda got him down to 350 I prolly woulda pulled the trigger. I think I'm gonna go open box. that puts me right at 700 bucks for a pair of good subs. I can't complain too hard.

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I went with open box from an authorized dealer. it'll be here thursday. AND... I already sold my rpw 10's for 300 bucks. so that's really 400 out of pocket I paid for a pair of sb 1000's. now that's how I like to roll.

that's not the only reason I bumped this though. I don't know how many gamers there are on this forum, but this would be on my diy list. companion cube sub. awesome.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
ha ha. yeah, I guess. the box is built to look like the companion cube from a popular video game from a couple years ago. the name of the game is portal.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
ha ha. yeah, I guess. the box is built to look like the companion cube from a popular video game from a couple years ago. the name of the game is portal.
Yeah, I'm clueless with gaming. I use GT5 occasionally (and it's been a while).

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I've been spending some quality time with this new sub and I really like it. super clean, no boom or distortion. it's funny. my son thought it wasn't even working... until I turned it off. it's absence was definitely missed, and when we played some of his bass heavy hip hop, he was sold too. I'm amazed at the excursion from this driver.

upgrading my subwoofage was the right choice for sure. I understand now that upgrading my receiver would have been incremental at best. this was a very noticeable difference. it's a little tamer than I expected, but I wasn't going for wall rattling BOOM. it really cleaned up my system and far out performs my old setup. the second one will be a very nice addition. it'll be here later today and I can't wait to get it hooked up.

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I've had both subs for a little while now and I'm amazed. with both of them hooked up audyssey actually turned them down to -2, and seems to have nailed it.

Okay. audyssey... I did upgrade to a denon x1200 (my son inherited the s 510bt). I wanted a couple extra channels, preouts for possibly adding more amplification down the road, and of course, audyssey.

There is a marked improvement in the sound coming from my system now. the bass response is much more even in almost every seating position. once again, I'm blown away. I'm super happy with my system for now, considering what I paid for everything especially. I never would have done it right without advice and guidance from you guys. not just in this thread, but also many others. I lurk and read a lot. this place is awesome and so are the people in it. Thanks for all the help and advice.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis