New Ohm Walsh Speakers

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Can you define "they", and ""f?cking up"?

Ahh. This is a complaint about the veracity of (insert source here)'s measurements.

I don't believe I made any claim that company X or reviewer Y took good measurements. Did I?

I stand by my earlier post.
You are correct in that I shouldn't have said what I did. If you look at the thread of "how to assess omni directional speakers", you will get an idea what I'm after.

J

jeff1956

Enthusiast
I was told to listen to Ohms as a must. Have you received the ohm talks and how do they sound

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
I remember when the Ohm Walsh 2 speaker came out. They had a contest where one could win a pair, but to enter, you had to go audition them (this was back when Ohm speakers were sold the old-fashioned way). I went to audition a pair, and if I had had the money at the time, I would have purchased them right then. Generally speaking, I am not the sort of person to make a purchase in the moment, but these were really good at their price. And they sounded great off-axis. I told my brothers about them, and after one of them listened to them, he bought a pair. He still has them. They are not the greatest speaker ever made (at their price, one ought not expect that), but they were good, and have a nice set of virtues (sounding almost the same widely off-axis, though they are not really omnidirectional, and neither are the other Ohm Walsh speakers since the Ohm F).

The specifications of the Ohm F, which I have never heard, were not that impressive. Yet they have had a great reputation regardless. My Apogee Stage speakers sound great, but some of the measurements that one can see in the glowing reviews of them are less than ideal. I suspect that the measurements that one sees are not enough to determine how good that a speaker is. For example, almost no one shows distortion measurements, and even if they do, they are unlikely to provide them for different volumes, which will be essential for the actual performance of the speaker.

S

swspiers

Audioholic
I was told to listen to Ohms as a must. Have you received the ohm talks and how do they sound
Here's the one thing I can state definitely regarding the Ohm's. I haven't felt the need to audition speakers since the day I got them. They absolutely killed my GAS for speakers.

J

jeff1956

Enthusiast
absolutely killed my "GAS" for speakers?

Might need to explain that to me. (GAS)

I assume the detail/transparency is good too?
How big a room & how long have you had them?
What others (speakers) have you listend too, before you sprung for the Ohm's?

Jeff

J

jeff1956

Enthusiast
Apogee Stages...Wow, they were a good one.
I like the 'ribbon sound" too but can't live with the head in a vice listening

Jeff

S

swspiers

Audioholic
absolutely killed my "GAS" for speakers?

Might need to explain that to me. (GAS)

I assume the detail/transparency is good too?
How big a room & how long have you had them?
What others (speakers) have you listend too, before you sprung for the Ohm's?

Jeff
Sorry about that. In pro-music world it's known as 'Gear Acquisition Syndrome" (GAS), where you obssess over buying gear.

Anyway, I've had the MWT's for 4 years now. They replaced Deftech BP-2006's and a set of Pinnacle Classic Gold Towers that I also had.

The room I'm moving from is an open-floor living room/dining room/kitchen that is about 1500 sq feet. Massive room (for me) with 8 ft ceilings. I listen near-field at 6 feet way. On their own, they more than do the job I need. I use an Emotiva Ultra 10 sub to fill-in the bottom octave, and the sound is pretty impressive. I can easily reach 105 dB, although I tend to listen at about 90 dB.

The original room they were in as about 250 sq feet. Sonically, they were pretty similar in both rooms. The quasi-Omni design takes advantage of the room instead of fighting agains it. It is very hard to describe.

I'm moving on Thursday to North Carolina, into a house we've lived in before. The 'Guy Room' is 4 walls of paneling on a slab floor, with seriously bad reflections. I cannot wait to put these babies to that test! The Deftechs performed OK, but nothing all that great. I think I favored the Pinnacles in that room.

Imaging, soundstage, presence is also incredible. I have them set in a 2.1 system. I swear, the center dialogue is perfect, even in the sense of scale. The stereo imaging is what I think of as 'locked', like sitting in between a set of Apogees or Maggies that are perfectly positioned, except you can actually move around and the soundstage does not collapse.

Detail and transparency is very good and natural. They are not the last word in detail, but then they don't emphasize the upper-treble frequencies that sometimes passes for'detailed'

When shopping for speakers, I compared them to various Tannoy, Magnepan, Martin Logan and B&W Diamond series speakers. A very close second was the Sunfire CRM-2's that I heard in Wilmington, NC. But the off-axis of those were pretty poor, even if the sound quality was outstanding.

I am thinking about upgrading to the Ohm 1000 speakers, just to get a bit more 'heft' with the larger driver. But honestly, the MWT's could remain my main speaker without complaint.

What I want from a speaker is high-end quality sound that does not force me to sit in a sweet-spot. I have really good headphones for that kind of listening. There are many speakers that compete against or exceed the Ohm's in transparency and detail. But I have yet to hear anything that can do what they do, anywhere in the room.

I hope I answered your questions. I do not have the cache of a lot of the members on this forum, and I have yet to hear a set of specifications. My knowledge is centered around professional bass gear, fiddling with parametric EQ and all the things that make bass amplification fun. In home audio, I look for the simplest, most direct route with a minimum of processing or treatments. The Ohm's are the one speaker I've heard that exceeds my criteria.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
Apogee Stages...Wow, they were a good one.
I like the 'ribbon sound" too but can't live with the head in a vice listening

Jeff

Although they do sound their best if one sits in precisely the right location, they still sound good if one is in the wrong location. I even listen to mine when I am in another room cooking. They then sound almost like the performers are just in the other room.

Andreas

Andreas

Junior Audioholic
Love posts about people are enjoying their gear. Thats what its all about.

I was looking at the room volumes and the speaker recommendations on the Ohm web site.. Your rooms seem a lot bigger than the suggested Ohm speaker size. How do you find the sound volume without the subwoofer?

I suspect speaker placement other than a little off the walls not need to be so specific either. I'm thinking of an open family room/kitchen area with the speakers placed where ever the WAF applies. No specific sweet spot which would be awesome. Would this be accurate?

Thanks.

S

swspiers

Audioholic
Love posts about people are enjoying their gear. Thats what its all about.

I was looking at the room volumes and the speaker recommendations on the Ohm web site.. Your rooms seem a lot bigger than the suggested Ohm speaker size. How do you find the sound volume without the subwoofer?

I suspect speaker placement other than a little off the walls not need to be so specific either. I'm thinking of an open family room/kitchen area with the speakers placed where ever the WAF applies. No specific sweet spot which would be awesome. Would this be accurate?

Thanks.
Hi Andreas

Without the sub, the MWT's a certainly not up to par in large rooms. With the sub, it's a whole different story.

Yeah- the Ohm's are pretty forgiving regarding placement. When I first got them, I them about 12' apart, and voices sounded like they were coming from each speaker separately. As soon as I moved the to about 5'6", the center-fill locked, and I got true stereo imaging that really does move with me around the room. IME, the MWT's are fussy about distance, and according to other Ohm owners that I stay in contact with, the 1000 series and above are less sensitive to distance due to the increased size of the driver. But they are very forgiving about placement near walls.

As far was WAF goes, my wife actually loves them!

Andreas

Andreas

Junior Audioholic
Yeah, thats what i figured. On my short list for the Kitchen/Family room.

Thanks

ahblaza

ahblaza

Audioholic Field Marshall
Apogee Stages, man I remember when they hit the market, I was drooling over those speaks. You still have them I would imagine, what does it take to drive those to max output, just curious. Nice speakers my man.:) You say they sound good from another room, I think that's high praise for a speaker and well deserved.
Cheers Jeff

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
Apogee Stages, man I remember when they hit the market, I was drooling over those speaks. You still have them I would imagine, what does it take to drive those to max output, just curious. Nice speakers my man.:) You say they sound good from another room, I think that's high praise for a speaker and well deserved.
Cheers Jeff
I am currently driving the Apogee Stage speakers with a Crown K2 power amplifier. Since the Crown does not have power meters, I do not know how much power I am actually using for maximum volume. But if the ratings of the speakers and the Crown are accurate, it is more than enough power for the speakers. (The manual for the Stage states that one ought not use a power amplifier that exceeds a 200 watt rating.) The Crown does have distortion indicators (as well as clipping indicators). The distortion indicator lights come on if the amplifier is pushed hard enough to cause it to have 0.05% distortion (it has special circuits that compare the input and output signal to determine this). The idea is, that way, you know you are starting to overdrive the amplifier, and can turn it down before you start clipping badly. However, I have never pushed it hard enough to cause those lights to ever come on. And given its output rating and what the Stage can handle, the lights never should come on or I would probably have much earlier damaged the speakers.

If you can find some of the speakers locally used, you can sometimes get a great deal on them. However, there are no replacement bass panels, so you had better not damage one. The midrange/tweeter (they call it that because it handles everything from about 800 Hz on up) can be replaced, but that is expensive.

Regarding placement in one's room, I have found that the manual gives excellent advice. These are the pickiest speakers I have ever owned, but even if they are not set up absolutely ideally, they still sound very good. But getting them at least close to ideally positioned is a very good idea. I recommend using measuring tape to situate them, just as they say in the manual.

My wife does not like how they look, but she very much likes how they sound, so she is okay with them in the living room. We went from an absolutely gorgeous set of bookshelf speakers (Aurum Cantus Leisure 2SE original U.S. version) in poplar:

poplar.jpg

They look much better in person than any pictures I have seen online. They have the nicest finish not only of any speaker I have ever owned, but the nicest finish of any speaker I have ever seen. Anyway, the Stage, though less attractive, and more trouble to set up, sounds better. And that is a nice compliment to them, because the Aurum Cantus speakers are the second best sounding speaker I have ever owned.

As reviewers commonly mention (see links to reviews here), they have an almost magical quality to them, particularly for female vocals. It is almost as though I have raised Ella Fitzgerald from the dead and brought her to my living room to perform for me.

NebTheWeb

NebTheWeb

Enthusiast
New guy here. It is interesting reading about the Ohms, and the Apogees in this thread. I have a pair of Ohm 4xO's that I owned since about the late 80s. I also own a pair of Apogee Duetta Signatures. I got those in 1988-89. I used them up until about 3 years ago when I blew out one of the mid-tweet ribbons on the right speaker. Thanks to whoever posted the sight with the replacement parts for Apogee speakers. Maybe I can get them up and running again. As for the Ohms, they still sound good to me.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
New guy here. It is interesting reading about the Ohms, and the Apogees in this thread. I have a pair of Ohm 4xO's that I owned since about the late 80s. I also own a pair of Apogee Duetta Signatures. I got those in 1988-89. I used them up until about 3 years ago when I blew out one of the mid-tweet ribbons on the right speaker. Thanks to whoever posted the sight with the replacement parts for Apogee speakers. Maybe I can get them up and running again. As for the Ohms, they still sound good to me.
You are welcome. You are fortunate that you did not destroy one of the bass panels, as they are far more expensive, and you must have them professionally installed. If you are "handy," you can install the midrange/tweeter yourself.

I have never dealt with them, so please report back how your experience goes. Maybe start a new Apogee thread.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis