New Marantz AV 10 - So revisiting everything. Thoughts?

O

OutOfControl

Audiophyte
I have a hodgepodge of high-end gear in my basement theater room. Changed out my AVR and planning re-calibrate everything. Looking for some thoughts so I can move forward with the best strategy.

The room is about 14 x 25 feet, but 7.5 ft ceilings. A JVC NZ8 projects on a Steward 135" screen. The configuration is currently 9.4.6. I have JTR Noesis 212's L,R, and Center. I have my very old, but reliable, Definitive Technology bi-polar BPX's for front Wides and Side Surround. And I have BP2000 power towers for my back rear left and right. Six Klipsch 8" Atmos speakers are in the ceiling.

I have four mixed up sub setups in this room. Left front side wall in the room is an SVS PB 16 Ultra. Right front, "in my wall", I build an infinite baffle box with two FiCar 18" subs, driven by a Behringer EP4000 amp. In the rear, I have the 15" powered sub section of the BP 2000's separated from the top and drive them as rear sub-woofers only. Even with this mixed-up mess, I used a mini-dsp to align and eq all this together as one virtual sub, and the system sounded great at my MLP. I used the mini-dsp to roll off under 20hz in the back and the PB16, and let the infinite baffle keep going 10hz. My AVR was the Denon X8500H and I offloaded some of the base layer amplification to a DSonic class D seven channel amp.

I have added another DSonic 8 channel amp, retired the Denon, and added the Marantz AV10. I removed the mini-dsp and have all the subs outlined above driven from each of the 4 Marantz AV 10 sub outputs. I ran basic Audyssey (with some phone app tweaking) but the system sucks right now as far as bass is concerned. This set up is pretty new and I have not done a lot of playing yet. But I'd rather play with the best strategy and the right tools already implemented.

So, I am planning to try Dirac with Bass Control. I would love some thoughts on Dirac in my configuration. And I want to confirm that I should not need the mini-dsp any longer with Dirac Bass Control?

But I also have other "wondering" questions. Specifically, I'm wondering if putting my rear BP2000's back in "full range" mode might improve the experience in this theater. In this case, I would just have the two subs on the AV10 (front left PB16 sub and right infinite baffle) and then just full range rear surrounds. Thoughts? I see from Gene's videos on the AV10 that the AV10 can send LFE to full range speakers now. But can it do it to rears? I have not studied the AV10 settings in detail yet.

I know the only way to fully know what set up will do what, is to try them. But hoping someone can look at my mess and make some educated guesses as to the best set up and calibration strategy I should take. Appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I have a hodgepodge of high-end gear in my basement theater room. Changed out my AVR and planning re-calibrate everything. Looking for some thoughts so I can move forward with the best strategy.

The room is about 14 x 25 feet, but 7.5 ft ceilings. A JVC NZ8 projects on a Steward 135" screen. The configuration is currently 9.4.6. I have JTR Noesis 212's L,R, and Center. I have my very old, but reliable, Definitive Technology bi-polar BPX's for front Wides and Side Surround. And I have BP2000 power towers for my back rear left and right. Six Klipsch 8" Atmos speakers are in the ceiling.

I have four mixed up sub setups in this room. Left front side wall in the room is an SVS PB 16 Ultra. Right front, "in my wall", I build an infinite baffle box with two FiCar 18" subs, driven by a Behringer EP4000 amp. In the rear, I have the 15" powered sub section of the BP 2000's separated from the top and drive them as rear sub-woofers only. Even with this mixed-up mess, I used a mini-dsp to align and eq all this together as one virtual sub, and the system sounded great at my MLP. I used the mini-dsp to roll off under 20hz in the back and the PB16, and let the infinite baffle keep going 10hz. My AVR was the Denon X8500H and I offloaded some of the base layer amplification to a DSonic class D seven channel amp.

I have added another DSonic 8 channel amp, retired the Denon, and added the Marantz AV10. I removed the mini-dsp and have all the subs outlined above driven from each of the 4 Marantz AV 10 sub outputs. I ran basic Audyssey (with some phone app tweaking) but the system sucks right now as far as bass is concerned. This set up is pretty new and I have not done a lot of playing yet. But I'd rather play with the best strategy and the right tools already implemented.

So, I am planning to try Dirac with Bass Control. I would love some thoughts on Dirac in my configuration. And I want to confirm that I should not need the mini-dsp any longer with Dirac Bass Control?

But I also have other "wondering" questions. Specifically, I'm wondering if putting my rear BP2000's back in "full range" mode might improve the experience in this theater. In this case, I would just have the two subs on the AV10 (front left PB16 sub and right infinite baffle) and then just full range rear surrounds. Thoughts? I see from Gene's videos on the AV10 that the AV10 can send LFE to full range speakers now. But can it do it to rears? I have not studied the AV10 settings in detail yet.

I know the only way to fully know what set up will do what, is to try them. But hoping someone can look at my mess and make some educated guesses as to the best set up and calibration strategy I should take. Appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks
The LFE Routing ONLY applies to the main speakers set LARGE and no other channels. The LFE routing is only supported for Audyssey and NOT Dirac, unfortunately. Hope that helps.

O

OutOfControl

Audiophyte
The LFE Routing ONLY applies to the main speakers set LARGE and no other channels. The LFE routing is only supported for Audyssey and NOT Dirac, unfortunately. Hope that helps.
Thanks Gene. That does help guide my thoughts and saves some time having to learn that myself. Likely will keep the powered towers in the back separated as subs then. (In your vid with Theo, sounded like you gave up on Dirac for Audyssey, but would be revisiting Direct with bass control. With my mixed up sub system, I am looking forward to that feedback!) Thanks again.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis