J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
I just received the SonoColumn bass traps from Auralex. I think they make for a nice finished look for the S8's Surrounds.

Hey rmk, I had a question about your rear speaker placements. Have you considered spreading them further out to achieve the oft-recommended 135-150 angle? Mine have a similar spread as your current config, maybe just a smidgen wider, but I am thinking of spreading them out a couple feet or more in both directions. In a previous setup I had, this smaller spread sounded great in a different room with different distances, but I have this feeling the effectiveness would improve if I did spread em out. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and any previous experiences.

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
Hey rmk, I had a question about your rear speaker placements. Have you considered spreading them further out to achieve the oft-recommended 135-150 angle? Mine have a similar spread as your current config, maybe just a smidgen wider, but I am thinking of spreading them out a couple feet or more in both directions. In a previous setup I had, this smaller spread sounded great in a different room with different distances, but I have this feeling the effectiveness would improve if I did spread em out. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and any previous experiences.
No I haven't.

Just kidding.;)

Since they are surround backs there are several schools of thought on the placement. One of my setup options on the Integra is spacing of the SB's and the options are 3' or 4'. Mine are 4' and I think 150° isn't that far off for my main seat. Honestly, I am really liking the 9.2 as it is and I don't think it the SB placement is that critical:). In fact the mains are the only speakers I give much placement thought to.

Last edited:
Duffinator

Duffinator

Audioholic Field Marshall
Outside of more superlatives, all I can say is I will be buying this disk and it is now my #1 reference demo.
We watched the video last night and the sound quality of this BD DVD is nothing short of amazing.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
... all I can say is I will be buying this disk and it is now my #1 reference demo.
I'm about 1/2 way through it and can see your point. The sound quality is huge in this. My neighbors might not be liking me to much right now though. I wasn't cranking it either. It's just that the bass is really 'there', along with everything else so on that score it's quite something. I like most of the music too but watching this freak show get his @ss kissed this hard for about an hour is putting a bad taste in my mouth. Sorry, I just needed to get that out but I would happily watch this again in the company of TLS just because I think that would be a blast.

Oh BTW, where are all those fine female dancers? There was a glimpse of well over a hundred of them (each one finer than frog's hair) at the beginning and so far it's been nothing but dudes the with the exception of one high heeled hottie in tights. If the second half doesn't have what I need I'm not gonna be happy. My g/f is loving it though. :rolleyes:

Edit: I got back to it and they had a clip of the pole dancers. :D

Last edited:
rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
I'm about 1/2 way through it and can see your point. The sound quality is huge in this. My neighbors might not be liking me to much right now though. I wasn't cranking it either. It's just that the bass is really 'there', along with everything else so on that score it's quite something. I like most of the music too but watching this freak show get his @ss kissed this hard for about an hour is putting a bad taste in my mouth. Sorry, I just needed to get that out but I would happily watch this again in the company of TLS just because I think that would be a blast.

Oh BTW, where are all those fine female dancers? There was a glimpse of well over a hundred of them (each one finer than frog's hair) at the beginning and so far it's been nothing but dudes the with the exception of one high heeled hottie in tights. If the second half doesn't have what I need I'm not gonna be happy. My g/f is loving it though. :rolleyes:

Edit: I got back to it and they had a clip of the pole dancers. :D
Thanks for the comments and I hope that date with the TLS guy works out for you.

Matt34

Matt34

No I haven't.

Just kidding.;)

Since they are surround backs there are several schools of thought on the placement. One of my setup options on the Integra is spacing of the SB's and the options are 3' or 4'. Mine are 4' and I think 150° isn't that far off for my main seat. Honestly, I am really liking the 9.2 as it is and I don't think it the SB placement is that critical:). In fact the mains are the only speakers I give much placement thought to.
9.2, aren't you selling yourself short Rob?:p Isn't it technically a 9.4 setup?

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
9.2, aren't you selling yourself short Rob?:p Isn't it technically a 9.4 setup?
You’re right Matt, it is a 9.4 but I suppose if we are being really technical it should be a 9.1 as there is only one LFE channel. Since the Integra has two sub out channels, I have been calling it 9.2.:confused::eek::p

Bottom line …lotta speakers and a lotta subs.:D

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
OK,

Added some HF absorption to the side walls to deal with a slap echo. There really aren't many surfaces left to treat nor components to upgrade :p. The system sounds better than it looks and the FR at the sweet spot is the best it has ever been.

I need to find another hobby as an outlet for tweaking itch. Coming into prime golf season out here and my game needs some work.:)

Right sidewall

Left side angled wall

Front (one more time :p)

jinjuku

jinjuku

In one of your pics there is a basket with Towels? Is that for wiping away the drool from the insane amount of envy that I am feeling right now?

MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai
Looks great!

In one of your pics there is a basket with Towels? Is that for wiping away the drool from the insane amount of envy that I am feeling right now?
Those are probably girl-blankets. Girls require blankets while watching movies. They are always, regardless of temperature, cold, during a movie. :D

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
Looks great!

Those are probably girl-blankets. Girls require blankets while watching movies. They are always, regardless of temperature, cold, during a movie. :D
Yes they are always cold plus the HT chairs are cuddle proof so the blankets are a wool pacifier.:p

MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai
Yes they are always cold plus the HT chairs are cuddle proof so the blankets are a wool pacifier.:p
Yeah, I got the cuddle proof chairs too.... You ever wish you had the center seats setup as a loveseat? Is that possible? It looks like your chairs are modular. Talk about a change that would keep the S.O. happy....

I watched The Notebook in cuddle proof chairs. That was, like, painful. So many missed opportunities. Sappy movie, but, man, so many places to make your move.

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
Yeah, I got the cuddle proof chairs too.... You ever wish you had the center seats setup as a loveseat? Is that possible? It looks like your chairs are modular. Talk about a change that would keep the S.O. happy....

I watched The Notebook in cuddle proof chairs. That was, like, painful. So many missed opportunities. Sappy movie, but, man, so many places to make your move.
Ummm, spoken like a true bachelor. We've been together 10 years so cuddling during movies is unnecessary ;). She actually likes the chair separation as she can't sit still and knows how much her gyrating bugs me.

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
I’m posting this mini review here as this review is based upon sound and having a system that is capable of reproducing close to live concert level sound. I was reading post in another forum by Danley Sound Labs President Mike Hedden yesterday and he was praising the bass and overall audio quality of “This is it”. He made a caveat to his post by saying that his impressions were based upon listening to this Bluray disk using his quad TH-SPUD subs plus his 5 large Danley speakers and, that YMMV based upon the limitations of your system. Being up to the challenge, I rented and watched the Michael Jackson concert documentary last night.

Generally speaking, I am not a fan of the man’s work and his personal issues made this film even less interesting to me. But based upon Mike Hedden’s comments and my SO liking his music, we decided to give it a go. I’m very happy that we did.

Besides being a fascinating look at a supremely talented but tortured celebrity, the DTS HD-Master Audio sound is simply mind blowing. We felt like we were transported right there to the rehearsal hall listening to this amazingly clean and powerful music. The driving rhythm of Jackson’s music plus the incredible musicianship of his band and then the almost supernatural talent of MJ himself were mesmerizing. It is the best sounding audio track I have ever heard period and, it is the type of disk that for those of us who spend a lot of time and money on our systems delivers the BIG payback.

Outside of more superlatives, all I can say is I will be buying this disk and it is now my #1 reference demo.
Thanks rmk I will have to watch this based on your recommendation. I'm not a MJ fan either and the antics leading toward the end of his career don't help to change that.

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
Thanks rmk I will have to watch this based on your recommendation. I'm not a MJ fan either and the antics leading toward the end of his career don't help to change that.
I hope this is a rental :p.

As a non-MJ fan, I found much of the actual goings on disturbing. Clearly this guy had major issues. But the talent is undeniable and the audio track is outstanding.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis